Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_ann_gw

Blooms-a-plenty

ruth_ann
14 years ago

Our cool and wet spring and early summer must have made the Brugs think they were in their native environment this year, most of my 10 have huge flushes and every Brug has flowers on them.

JRoot, this will shoot your theory about them blooming for a full moon all to heck LOL

I have really reduced my collection to just 10 Brugs, 3 are old favourites grown from seed, 2 in 2003 that I keep for their fragrance and bloom shape and position, a pink and white almost horizontal bloom, a huge white dependent bloom and the third was from 2006 and is a dependent pink bloom. The other 7 are:

Golden Lady, Maya, Axel Rose, French Canadian, Exotica, my NHE and one I registered this year called Shawnee's Legacy.

(Double click each pic to get the full size image)

French Canadian

{{gwi:542046}}

Exotica

{{gwi:542048}}

French Canadian and Exotica

{{gwi:542050}}

Axel Rose

{{gwi:542052}}

Maya

{{gwi:542053}}

Just some shots of how they are situated in my garden....

{{gwi:542055}}

{{gwi:542056}}

{{gwi:542057}}

{{gwi:542058}}

Tonight my newly Registered 'Shawnee's Legacy' is in bloom......
Shawnee's Legacy

{{gwi:542059}}

This image shows an example of the number of blooms at the end of one small branch on Exotica, it is simply loaded....

{{gwi:542060}}

Comments (43)

• taz56
    14 years ago

You must be proud, just look at all that beauty!
    Susan

• jorjaboy
    14 years ago

Good lord! Them thangs are huge. How do you get them so big in your zone? What is the criteria you must meet to have your own variety registered? Do you have to know the variety of mom and dad? Amazing!

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!!!
    Are your Angels in pots??? Are do you dig them in the Fall???
    They are amazing!
    Your 'Shawnee's Legacy' Is gorgeous!
    Dorothy

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

later.....April

• threas
    14 years ago

Ruth Ann your brugs never disappoint! Congrats on Shawnee's Legacy, it's beautiful! Yes, I would love a detailed walk-through process of your brug digging, overwintering ...etc...

Theresa

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Ruth ann Congrats on Shawnees legacy. She/ he is a beautiful brug. How long did you test it for? Newbees want to know... Ruth ann you are a true inspiration to us northern brug growers! I hope in a few years that my brugs will look just like yours.... Thank you so much for sharing and inspiring... I love your pond and is that liatris (purple flower) and does it really get that tall there? Wow I need more sunlight... Your brugs are amazing! and so is your garden... Barb

• karyn1
    14 years ago

You have a wonderful garden and Shawnee's Legacy is a beauty. What did you cross to get her? I'm always blown away at how big and beautiful your brugs are with your short growing season.

• sianna
    14 years ago

THEY ARE JUST BEAUTIFUL. I AGREE WITH THERESA WHAT ARE THE DETAILS OF DIGGING AND WINTERING OVER?

• ruth_ann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you.It is the few days like this a couple of times in the summer that makes all the work and effort worth while.To sit here at the computer and/or to sit on the lounger on the patio and smell the fragrance is intoxicating.
    Shawnee's Legacy was from seeds I was sent by Monika Gottschalk to grow out for her. Out of maybe 100 seeds, this and possibly one other were the only ones we felt met the criteria for registration.
    You only want to register ones that show they will improve the Brugmansia that are available already.
    This one :
    -withstands pests and heat ( because of the multiple fine downy hairs in the leaves)
    -the blooms are ALWAYS
    a)doubles
    b)have a nice and consistent drop between the skirts
    c)last 4-5 days in the heat of summer and 6-7 days in the cooler fall
    d) the skirts are symmetrical and the same diameter
    e) have a pleasant fragrance
    -the plant clones true to the mom and performs similarly in different soils and locations
    -this is one of only a few doubled available to us in Canada and possibly the only one with this breeding (Rose Beauty X Charleston)

In years gone by when I had 30-45 growing, I cut all nut my variegated and doubled back to 6-10 " stumps to bring in. Now I am down to 10 and have the room to leave them up to 2-3 leaf nodes above the first Y.
    I did a tutorial in another forum a couple of years ago for new folks, you are able to read it there so I will leave you the link.

I can't tell you strongly enough how important it is to amend your soil ( and plant them in the ground)so you don't spend all summer fertilizing and watering. These plant had only Mushroom compost added to their planting holes and were fertilized only once since planting. This is their second flush, the one prior was somewhat smaller in number of blooms.I may have had to water them 3 times with the hose thus far.( it really has been a damp one for us)
    Barb, the name of the purple flower escapes me ( I am having a but it smells like Anise when you brush by it. My daughter bought it for me about 6 years ago, I will see if she remembers the name.

I hope I have answered most of your questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bringing them in for dormancy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Barb the purple flower might be Anise Hyssop (Agastache foeniculum).

• sibhskylvr
    14 years ago

Ruth Ann

Beautiful Brugs! I gotta say though - I love the 'Shawnee's Legacy!' Very, very nice color & looks like a perfect bloom! Thank you for posting it! :)

Mike

• ruth_ann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hyssop, that's it, thanks Karen !

Thanks Mike.

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Thank you Karyn and Ruth ann...

• fool4flowers
    14 years ago

You never fail to amaze me with your yard. Its always beautiful. The new brug is fantastic and I love the pond. I really need to put in a larger one next year. The fishies are growing up, lol.

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

Ruth Ann, your gardens are amazing, you are a true
    inspiration!
    Shawnee`s Legacy is gorgeous!
    Thank you for sharing.

Karen

• peony_tx
    14 years ago

Just amazing, Ruth Ann. Thanks for taking the time to do that tutorial.

• pearlgirl
    14 years ago

Your garden/brugs are amazing. You should be proud!
    Margaret

• luvmy3afhounds
    14 years ago

Ruth Ann,
    Your plants are all just simply amazing! I especially like Shawnee's Legacy. Thank you for the link on dormancy and thanks for sharing your slice of heaven with us!
    Joyce

• haase
    14 years ago

Amazing beauty!!! I am awestruck, - what a wonderful garden you have!

• jorjaboy
    14 years ago

Ruth Ann, thank you for the information. I am curious though, what organization is it that approves/ maintains registration of the hybrid? Is this registration like some sort of patent (preventing an individual from legally profiting from your hybrid without authorization) or is it solely a means of attaching a name to a certain plant in order to track its lineage?

Thank you
    Brandon

• ruth_ann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brandon, up until this year it was the American Brugmansia And Datura Society ( ABADS for short) that was responsible for this and it is just a lineage tracking, it is NOT a patent sort of thing. Once a name has been approved for a Brugmansia, no other Brugmansia is to be given that name.
    ABADS has folded for the time being so this year I did it through Brugmansia Growers International ( BGI)who had been working along with ABADS previous years.

This is a 2003 seedling that I am toying with registering. I love that the blooms hang almost horizontal on it,
    the shape of the blooms and the fragrance which is like baby powder. It is also a very floriferous Brug.
    {{gwi:542061}}

• threas
    14 years ago

That's gorgeous, Ruth Ann! Looks like a shooting star!
    Thanks for the tutorial!

Theresa

• tilly_2008
    14 years ago

Ruth Ann thank you so much for sharing your garden pics and tutorial! Brugs are Awsome!

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Now I am blown away~~a little late for I had Madison but she is coming back tomorrow so I am catching up lol Glad I did because no one should miss your gorgeous angels and the garden...WOW

Lucy

• tommysmommy
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh Ruth Ann! How do you do it? Your garden is absolutely stunning and I'm green with envy! Do you amend the soil regularly and what do you do to keep it growing so well? Here in CO although this year has been wet, it's usually dry with claylike soil and the plants do have a bit of a struggle, esp. with intense gusts of wind and really bright hot sun due to the altitude. You must have to dig up your brugs each Sept. or are they in pots that I can't see?

• jorjaboy
    14 years ago

Wow, it would get my vote! The tendrils look awesome. I like how the dying flower is red. Looks good even on its last leg

• rigo74
    14 years ago

breath taking...............

Rigo

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

bump bump bump I never saw this post til now, but I did read other posts.

Shawny's Legacy - Only 1 or 2 seeds were good enough out of 100? Sheesh...I wonder if my seeds are going to get me anything?

Absolutely stunning and encouraging pictures! You always have nice pictures of full flushes. Great tips here to. Now how do you make mushroom compost?

Cheer up all - Sandy

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Sandy, I believe Ruth Ann meant that out of 100, one, possibly two seedlings/plants (not seeds) were good enough to register.

Ruth Ann, somewhere else I read about your Shawnee's Legacy, and wondered if it's up for sale yet? My DD's name is Shawn and I would love to get this one!

• hong2007
    14 years ago

Ruth Ann, they are Beautiful! thanks for sharing the pictures. Just remember let us know when you do cutting for postage :)

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Sorry Hong, Ruth Ann does not sell or send out cuttings, she's done her share already. I've tried bribery and everything, nah, not that big a pest, but no is no.

She's more than willing to share her cuttings with people should they come by her place in the fall. Of coarse you need to email her first and see how that option is for this year, and so on.

Besides, she if canadian.

Loads of hope in the states though come fall, maybe earlier but that's not for me to say - Sandy

• ruth_ann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sandy is correct, you have to come visit if you want a cutting. :)
    I am looking at a possible 6 hour long back surgery with 5 vertebral fusions and 2 rods insertion this spring. My gardening days are looking bleak and I may have to get down to only one or 2 Brugs. :((

Yes, it was only 2 out of 100 plants that grew well enough and had something enough different to offer that I and the hybridizer felt worthy of registering.

• green_thumb_guy
    14 years ago

I'm sure that Shawnee's Legacy will become available in time. Perhaps it is being trialed in the US and Ruth Ann maybe waiting for feedback on its' performance before she okays the release.

Remember, that cuttings will take time to grow before they can produce cuttings too.

for now, we'll have to just admire the pictures. I'd say they are good enough to make a Ruth Ann's Brug Calendar,eh.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    14 years ago

I never get tired of looking at ruth ann's brugs (sigh) You have the magic touch for sure.
    Wow that is gonna be some surgery, really sorry to hear about that! Nurses always end up with back problems it seems. I have so many nurse friends/colleages that end up with back surgery or problems..really sucks!
    Going down to 2 brugs is gonna be tough!! I hope you can get someone to help you care for yours while you are recovering. Please take care..
    ~Lenette

• hong2007
    14 years ago

Oh Ruth_ann, Im sorry, I didn't know about your back surgery.

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Ruth Ann - That is devasting news. I'm so sorry for you. There's not really a knowing how long or how well you'll recover. I hope you get it all done in one surgery. Rather than not recover well enoough to at least get to do some gardening. You'd be surprised at how much pain you'd be willing to take just to garden... I'm sure you already know. It's a mean head game. Just remember pain after surgery means STOP, at least for as many month(s) as the doctor says.

I've had vertabraes fused in my neck...such is my id on photobucket 'metalneck'. I need too much surgery for them to be bothered with me. They took a huge thorn out but the symphony of pain is here to stay. DDD (DJD) & SS. through in a touch of osteo which we all have to some degree and that's just the beginning of my problems.

Keep in mind to eat less as a habit after surgery. I put on 40 lbs not changing my eating habits to match my energy output and I haven't been able to lose it. That started over 10yrs ago.

It's bad enough to be punished for moving but adding 40 lbs of potatoes on to my greif is just mean. I wish I had known I would never be active enough to lose weight, through activity, the fat couldn't of jumped me while I wasn't looking.

Metamucil is helpful to, especially when I eat meat, especially pork - it passes very slowly and that backs up everything. Or before eating large meals. I add french vanilla creme (used usually for coffee) to it and you get a creamsicle flavor...yummm

There's other things I've used just to keep the fat off but I think most can figure that kind of med out. Ask for one when they give pain killers, you'll need it.

I hope you have reasonably sympathetic people around you to help out. I'll tell you I'm not the neat freak I used to be...lol

Hugs & Kisses - Sandy

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Ruth Ann, wishing you great success with your back surgery. I don't have personal experience, but heard about the importance of recuperating properly in order that the surgery is a success. My mom had back surgery, and she felt the need to get up and moving before fully healed. Needless to say, she still has back problems. Medicine is quite advanced and know you will be fine before long, working out in your lovely yard! Blessings.

Looking forward to the release of Shawnee's Legacy :-)

• ruth_ann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all your good wishes. We are waiting for a current MRI to be taken and then will have the surgery booked. In Canada non-life threatening surgeries take a little time to get scheduled so I have no idea when this will happen until I see the surgeon again after the MRI.

green_thumb_guy from the posts above is a good friend and lives nearby and has kindly helped in the past and has offered again. Thanks Jeff, your the best! When it comes to reducing my collection, rest assured they will live on as Jeff takes my mature plants and perpetuates them. :))

Shawnee's Legacy currently is being trialed in Albany New York by a non gardening friend with 2 brown thumbs but she has a dog from the litter of Golden Retriever dogs this Brug was named after. Shawnee was a very special dog of a friend in Quebec. This summer the Brug will also be trialed by a friend in New Jersey and one in North Carolina. Once it passes muster in these varied locations and growing conditions she may be released.

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

John Root - Check the post by Ruth Ann on Mar 11th. Bummer news. Hoping to save her from repeating it.

- Sandy

• tommysmommy
    14 years ago

WOW! Looking at your garden from last year makes me drool! Excuse me while I wipe my face LOL! I can't WAIT for things to get going here, and we just had a forecast for a couple inches of snow tonight, so I WILL have to wait. Gorgeous garden!!

• ruth_ann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Right now they are mostly bare sticks down in their winter house so don't drool too hard, yours likely look better than mine at the moment, no worse I am sure.

• danasplants
    14 years ago

You have done a great job really have some awesome looking brugs there. I love the verigated and your newly registered thats something to be very proud of. Heres to a good summer seems like its already started!

• peony_tx
    14 years ago

Just stunning, Ruth Ann.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor