Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Another excellent miticide

karyn1
15 years ago

I have had a terrible mite problem this season and used Forbid which worked wonders but there were a few plants that I'd missed. I got a miticide called Floramite and used it the other day. I think this one works as well as the Forbid. I was going to get Avid but DH spoke to a couple of his suppliers and all have switched from Avid to Floramite (it contains an ovicide) so I went with that instead. I'd definitely recommend either Forbid or Floramite to anyone needing a miticide. Floramite is also pretty much mite specific. I don't like using any man made chemicals to begin with but it was either that or lose a number of plants.

Karyn

Comments (19)

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

Karyn, thank you for sharing the info! where can I get it? How expensive is it?

• sianna
    15 years ago

Thanks Karen, I am also having a mite problem the red spider mites are all over my Bella Marie. I have tried sevin no go and washing the leaves well with water helps a bit. I just ordered some forbid from e-bay and hope it helps. Have you tried neem oil I am afraid it will damage the leaves.Where can you get the floramite?? I want to get rid of the buggers before bringing in the babies for the winter.
    Sianna

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've tried Neem oil and it didn't do a thing, including getting rid of the mites. lol I'm not sure where the Floramite came from. One of the greenhouse supply companies. DH got it for me through one of his suppliers. I'd think you could Google the name and find it.
    Karyn

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

Sianna,
    I had bad red spider mites this year. HOt soapy water worked good once I got the infested gladiolas cut down. I had to spray every other day for a couple days.

Thanks Karyn..got to google that..wonder if its as expensive as the Forbid..

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know it's less then Forbid and I think it's less then Avid as well.
    Karyn

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Thanks Karyn. Thats the one I was reading about the other day that has the ovicide included. I thought it was only available to commercial growers though but that may have been an old article. Sounded like the best newest stuff on the market. According to what I read it is cheaper in the long run since you don't have to buy a seperate ovicide or have the cost of respraying to get the hatched eggs.

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

OMG lol..I just googeld it..this was the first one I came to..almost choked on my coffee..
    Havent compared yet, maybe this is outrageously priced? I dont know yet. This is what they claim is a fraction of the price of Avid...how much $$ is a quart of Avid?

Here is a link that might be useful: Floramite

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

FOund it on Ebay for BIN @ $23 for 1 oz. Just emailed the seller.
    WHat do you think about it? He has 4 up there.
    Sounds promising, but from what I have read so far, it doesnt say anything about broadmites, just spider mites.

Kary, do you have the bottle? Does it say anything on there about the ever elusive invisible broadmites?

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

Kary? lol..who the heck is that! Sorry bout that typo there..I cant type today..Well, I read up on it and it says its not for broad/cyclamen mites. just various spider mites. I'll go with the Forbid.
    Let us know if you see it does work on broad mites.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's not as effective against Broad or Rust mites but I saw improvement within a couple days. I'm pretty certain that I had Broad mites but can't be sure. I'd also treated most of my affected plants with Forbid a couple weeks ago. Most of the growers use it for Spider mites which I have a problem with in the greenhouse over the winter.
    Karyn

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Here is an interesting article I found on most of the available miticides and what they control and how they work.

Here is a link that might be useful: understanding miticides

• blicon1
    15 years ago

Tetrasan works well on broad mites, it is now a restricted pesticide in NY and may be restricted elsewhere. My own experience (this is just an observation) indicates that broad mites and 2 spotted spider mites do not co-exist on the same plant. Caught quickly enough the 2 spotted guys wont deform the plant, but the usual way you discover the broad mites is plant deformation. Floramite works very quickly - if you go back and look a few hours after spraying, you'll see the mites hanging from the bottom of the leaves on little silk threads - very satisfying!!!

Jack

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

I finally got mites under control here by alternating Ortho Systemic with Avid...now its the darn catarpillars and whiteflies again instead! Its always something with these brugs lol.

Has anyone noticed that Avid smells just like playdough?

• davidwv
    15 years ago

This on the product label for the Floramite. That it is not effective on Rust, Broad or Flat Mites.

If you are needing to control Broad/Cyclamen mites you need to use either Avid or Forbid.

Also, I can't remember where I read it, but you should never ever use Sevin to treat mites. If you do, it will cause the mite population to explode.

• sianna
    15 years ago

Well davidwv guess you are right as the sevin did nothing but feed the buggers. Still seems like the one plant is more greatly affected, got my forbid from e-bay and am going to spray them all today. The literature(very complete lots of animal testing yuck!) says to only use forbid 4 times a season. I will try to alternate with the ortho systemic and spray them really well before bringing them in for the winter. Thanks Karyn for this interesting post. Hey daniellalell think we live about 45 mins apart I am across the river from Trenton.
    Sianna

• the1956wolfie_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

check out a new miticide called sucra-shield.

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Awesome! I may have to try that out on my grapes. They get devoured by nearly ever pest known to man, but if I want to eat the grapes, I can't really use chemicals.

Does anyone have experience with sucra-shield?

Here is a link that might be useful: sucra-shield

• napdognewfie
    15 years ago

How far does the small bottle go?

Linda

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

From the link above...

One pint makes 12 ½ - 16 gallons of spray; one gallon makes 81-100 gallons of spray. Typically, one gallon of spray will cover approximately 150 plants 1 foot high, depending on the amount of foliage present, or 1500 sq. ft.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!