Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

OT: Colocasia Thailand Giant pic

Just though I would post a year-end pic of my Colocasia gigantea, 'Thailand Giant' strain. This one loves water and some shade. This is probably as big as it will get for me this season. Maybe bigger next year??? Not quite sure how I'm going to winter it over.

{{gwi:544875}}

Comments (25)

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Whoa Dave, that is BIG and beautiful! Looking forward to next year's growth :-)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

OMG it got bigger!!!!! That is such a cool colocasia. How big is the corm? Do you dig it up and store it over the winter or start with a new one next season?

• pearlgirl
    13 years ago

I love that thing! You'll hate to cut it down. Let us know
    how you will store it.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karyn, I started with a 2- or 3-gallon plant this last Spring. It would be easier to start 'fresh' next season with a new plant, if I could find one. But, I may try to dig this one, cut off all leaves, wash off soil and 'store' in a large bucket of water in a cool location.

This is a good way to store nearly every tender Colocasia BTW. In the south they die down with frost and survive dormant in the muck of ponds and waterways, so it's a good way to store the 'semi-aquatics' here too.

• Patsey Nelson
    13 years ago

That is Beautiful, where can I find them.
    I only have one green elephant ear and some black magic.
    Thanks,
    Patsey

Original Author
    13 years ago

patsey, you can try to order online (Brians Botanicals, Plant Delights, and others). I found mine at a local nursery, so can't help you much.

• marquest
    13 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS!!! It looks like Jurassic Park, LOL

Are you sure cool and in water will not rot the bulb? I keep mine damp in the pot but my basement is 65-70 all winter.

• mantorvillain
    13 years ago

Hmmmm- in water eh? My cool basement stays 50-60 degrees most of the winter. Maybe I'll give it a try with some of my colos of which I have more than one.
    Does it work for alocasias as well?...My relatively small collection is the result of a number of trades and I'm always worried about carrying them over.
    thanks for the tip.
    Will

• threas
    13 years ago

That's awesome, Dave! I got Thai Giant( I think) a couple of months back in a 2" pot. It's got alot more growing to do. It's about 3 1/2 foot now. Hope mine will winter over too. I kept the common green taro in a bucket w/ a bubbler and I kept Illustris, Hilo Beauty and Mickey Mouse Taro in a shallow tray with potting soil and no drainage, under fluorescent lights. I let them dry out in between watering, mainly because, I thought they rotted. They only went dormant, they came up this year:)

Theresa

• mantorvillain
    13 years ago

...and what I meant to say first in my post above:
    Shazam, that's a heckuva plant! You should share it over on the aroid forum also as it's a great example and they don't seem to get as many good pics as over here.
    Will

• ruth_ann
    13 years ago

Holy 'you know what' LOL, that is huge Dave!

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Dave ,
    That thing is beautiful. I hope it didn't eat the guy on the right side of the pic. LOL
    pa

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

I agree it is just beautiful!

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

Wow,

that would makes some umbrella

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

A beautiful awesome plant! Is that a red leafed banana to the right, I can make room for that kind...lol

Thanks for sharing - Sandy

• karyn1
    13 years ago

DH said he wants to know where you live so he can come and cut your leaves. He really wouldn't do that but he said he has customers that would pay an arm and a leg for those leaves.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

Fantastic!!! I've got to get one of those!
    ~SJN

• chena
    13 years ago

HOLY Macaroni!!! Dave what are you feeding this hog? Absolutely Beautiful!! Very Cool!!

Kylie

• chena
    13 years ago

OH BTW that Siam Ruby is looking great as well!!!

Kylie

Original Author
    13 years ago

Kylie, did you notice my UT hat?

• my_own_hawaii
    12 years ago

I am oon my second set of Thai Giants. bought the first two from and wintered them over in the pot for 2 yrs. I do domestic and wildlife rescue and had an extremely large emergency rescue of 13 cats! YIKES!!! Well needless too say the rescue kitties were not very nice too my thai's and well.. they have died! The kitties were all adopted out, but my plants suffered major casualties! I bought a new thia giant this year, from a local nursery, and I am dying to get this sucker in the ground but want ideal conditions for it. I plan to dig it up for the winter season but want this sucker to have the best spot in the yard. So maybe a few tips on getting mine to look that fabulous?? I have read a lot about them for the past few years but no one can really give me some ideal growing conditions that are tried and true. can u lend a little advice on how yours is planted, light, soil, acidity ect..???

• chena
    12 years ago

Hey!!!
    I don't grow Thai Giant but.. I would place it in morning sun and afternoon shade.. That OK sun can be brutal.. Fertilize and water water water the heck out of the thing. I don't know if Daves pulls his in or not but I would.. Good Luck. and be sure to post pic's we love everything not just Brugs.. ;0)
    Welcome BTW!!

Kylie

• pagrdnr
    12 years ago

I am trying a thailand giant this year and I'll be happy if mine looks half that good. My one leaf has a small variegated spot, I am interested to see if it continues.

{{gwi:544876}}

• chena
    12 years ago

Very Cool Shawn!!! It will be interesting to see just what other leaves it throws!

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Congrats Shawn, your Thailand giant looks great and I hope it keeps its variegation.