Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bringing Bruggies in with Buggies

Posted by reet59 z3 MB (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 9:08

I'm in Winnipeg and naturally need to bring 8 large brugs in for the winter. Last winter I cut them seriously back, and this summer their growth was unimpressive and yielded not a single bloom. Our summer was a veritable drought, as well. Not sure why the year was so bad for flowers. Any ideas?
My other question is: THey are all currently on my front lawn, in pots, with their leaves on. Their leaves are absolutely covered in spider mites. Because I can't afford to bring those troublemakers inside, is it alright for me to cut all the leaves off? I usually wait for the fall to encourage the leaves to drop, but I fear that timing may be frustrating this year. Bad year for my brugs :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bringing Bruggies in with Buggies

There's no problem with stripping the foliage but I'd still carefully wash the stems before bringing them in. Not a great year for mine either. Crazy weather. Hopefully next year will be better.

o

I always spray and clean before I take them in. Unfortunately (or fortunately however you'd like to view it) many have buds and I will be "forced" to pot them and grow them indoors till they bloom. Also, and this time I say fortunately, we are having 80 degree weather again this week so, they can stay out yet for a little while. We'll see what next week brings :-O

o

Luckily, spraying brugmansias for spider mites is MUCH easier when the leaves fall off!

Check out some neem oil from your local hardware store, mix a tablespoon with a spray bottle full of water, and mist the stems. It knocks 'em dead, but neem oil is otherwise organic and non-toxic. Spray/dump a little more of the mixture into the soil for good measure in case any more are hiding there. With bare stems, you don't have to worry about all the random crevices they can hide in and can thoroughly cover everything.

If they're covered in mites I'm surprised they're not already shedding their leaves on their own as a defense mechanism.

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 12:09

If you can't find Neem Oil.. Check out Neem Tree Farms.. The have some really cool all Natural products.. I got some Neem Oil and an Anti Itch Formula that works Great!!!

Kylie

Here is a link that might be useful: Neem Tree farms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here