Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Day Dreams seed cross

karyn1
12 years ago

One of my Day Dreams crosses from last season bloomed. The flower was pretty much destroyed during the storms we've had over the past week but it is a double. I can't quite read what I crossed it with, maybe Butterfly?? I don't know if it will be pink or remain white. I'm hoping that the rain will stop and it will get a chance to fully open. Unfortunately the smaller buds were knocked off and I doubt there will be time for another flush to develop this season. I'll give it 3 flushes before deciding if it's a keeper or compost.

{{gwi:546272}}

Comments (24)

• chena
    12 years ago

Looks like it has the makings for something nice!!!

Kylie

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Karyn-
    Last year you gave me seeds from a cross of Daydreams and Emerald Frost- could that be it?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The seeds I sent out were Emerald Frost x Day Dreams. EF was the pod parent. This one has Day Dreams as the pod parent. I have a bunch of the EF x DD seedlings but no blooms yet. It always take me 2 growing seasons to get blooms from seed grown plants.

• maile_2010
    12 years ago

Kayrn,
    I have a 48" tall Emerald Frost x Daydreams that has 10 blooms on about 3" long. Seeds where from you. I also have 8 more live plant of your cross that are 48" to 30" tall that I am trying to get rid of. I have a hard time composting any live plant but that is just me. Anybody want these for postage. I am keeping the one with all the blooms to overwinter.
    Jerry

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jerry what color are they, white or pink? I had great germination (almost 100%) from those seeds which kind of surprised me because they were so small.

I used to have a hard time tossing any live plant. Now I don't think twice. Most are just too big to ship but I do offer them to local friends for pick-up before composting.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think it's going to be a keeper. It's a triple! The 3rd skirt is dropping nicely. The inner skirts are still that greenish yellow and haven't colored up yet. It's pouring out, as usual. I'll try and get a pic later if the rain lets up.

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

How exciting! Looking forward to seeing the pix with triple skirts, congrats!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a couple new pics. Still raining but I could go out without getting soaked.
    {{gwi:546273}}
    {{gwi:546274}}

• chena
    12 years ago

Jerry if you would Please save one for me.... ;0)

Kylie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kylie I can send you a couple.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I am looking forward to seeing the blossom open as well.
    Looks promising.

Jerry, I hope you are bringing one of those crosses or cuttings to the swap.

• chena
    12 years ago

OKAY!!! Thanks!!!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kylie I'll get them out next week. Check your email and let me know about the South African stuff. If you want any I'll send it at the same time.

• maile_2010
    12 years ago

Kylie,
    I'll save you a nice one unless Kayrn sends you enough. LMK.
    Jerry

• jhl1654
    12 years ago

Interesting and gorgeous. A triple? I've seen a single but never a triple

• chena
    12 years ago

Thank You Jerry!!!! Will Do! I have some seeds to send you send me your address..

Karyn I do want some.. I sent a package out to you this past week.!!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know, I got it. Didn't you get my email? If not TY TY TY!!!!!

• chena
    12 years ago

I probably just didn't check it YW.. SOOOO How do you start the Garlic Vine seed????

Kylie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just barely cover the seeds with soil and keep it warm. Not too moist and I don't cover the pot. I've started them from seed with no problem but have never gotten blooms. Maybe because they weren't mature enough. They aren't the easiest to winter over, even in the greenhouse.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kylie look at your emails and let me know if u want anything else before I send these.

• chena
    12 years ago

Karyn I just cleaned my mail box out.. Sooo Surprise me.. You always have the best surprises..;0)

• Ament
    12 years ago

Jerry, I would love one of these triple skirted brugs. :) I took a week and half, almost two week trip out to SoCal, got back expecting my plants to have been watered like I told my daughter to do but apparently, she either forgot or whatever. Half of my plants were extremely dry. All of Miss Emily Mackenzie's leaves fell off. So hopefully I can get her to recover over the winter. LoL Bugger it! Ah well! :)

~Tina

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina your brugs should recover just fine. I neglected to water a brug for almost 8 months, and it survived. It was in a very large pot which might have helped. I missed it in the garage when I was taking them out in the spring and came across it late in the season. When I finally found it there was a sickly chlorotic stem growing but it rebounded when I took it out and began watering. There's pics posted somewhere in the forum.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Haha! I felt so terrible Karyn when I got back and saw Miss Emily leafless. I don't know if I shall be up for another trip again soon though. You'll see my experience posted. It was miserable. Thanks for cheering me up on that. I bathed her pot well in water, she's out sunbathing now. :D

~Tina