Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilsonlambert

Question -- Harvesting Seeds Proper Method And Timeme

wilsonlambert
13 years ago

I have a cherished Brugmansia Sanguinea tree that I have lovingly cared for since birth from seed for the last 20 some years.

This year my tree as usual, has been very bountiful and produced a large number of seed pods.

I've searched throughout this excellent forum for a complete detailed answer to this question. I hadn't found detailed information and perhaps answers to my questions will help other as well.

What is the proper method to harvest the seeds.

Should I wait for the pods to drop from the tree? Most pods seem to drop before they are dried out. I've opened the pods and the seeds look to be mature. Years ago I have planted these seeds and I did manage to get them to sprout.

I don't think that I've seen pods dry out and naturally spill their seeds.

I've always thought that if nature allowed the pods to drop from the tree then they must be matured enough to propagate. Is this correct?

Should I wait for the pods to dry out either on the tree or off before opening the pods. Is it alright to open the pods while the pods are still moist and pliable and then dry the seeds outside the pod?

I've seen in the past where around the tree there would be a large clumping of sprouts. I suspect that a whole pod must have been buried and in the spring many of the seed got a start. So, what is the general feeling towards planting a complete dried pod?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)