Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sibhskylvr

'Insignis Pink' finally puts on a few blooms! :)

sibhskylvr
14 years ago

Received this as a cutting last fall from my friend Janice in Louisiana! I've always loved hers & it comes back each winter for her bigger & stronger!

Mike

{{gwi:547046}}

{{gwi:547047}}

{{gwi:547048}}

{{gwi:547051}}

{{gwi:547054}}

{{gwi:547056}}

{{gwi:547058}}

{{gwi:547060}}

{{gwi:547062}}

{{gwi:547063}}

Comments (23)

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Pretty soft pink, does it get darker?
    I like the soft color.
    Dorothy

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Mike at least you HAVE THEM!! I am still in the waiting loop and would take this pretty one too.

Lucy

• iiiitara
    14 years ago

It sure is pretty! But, We need to stop calling all of these suaveolens hybrids Insignis since they aren't the real deal. In fact I don't think there are any real insignis in the US. I'm sure we will get some soon though. I'll say what I told Shawn. It only took me ten years to find a real vulcanicola.

Either way. Congratulations! I wish I had some blooms going on right now but I messed up and over-fertilized everything.

• davidwv
    14 years ago

Mike, I have to agree with iiiitara that your brug is not a true Insignis. I had Insignis 90-95 many years ago but it got stem blight and had to go to brug heaven.

Here is a picture of it when it was healthy. One way to help identify Insignis from Sauveolens is the tendrils. Notice in my picture how the tendrils are held straight out, not curved back.

Hope this helps you,

David

{{gwi:547065}}

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

iiiitara & David

Thanks for the info on the differences! And thanks for the pic David! Yours has/had a pretty pink color to it!

Janice may be a little heart-broken now, when she finds out! But - it's still a 'perdy' little thing! And anything that can stand the heat here in Arkansas is a plus! :)

Mike

• janice_gardener
    14 years ago

Yes very heart broken, I bought my plant several years ago from one of three online sellers (not ebay) but cannot remember which one. But it was a very reliable one.

Janice

• karyn1
    14 years ago

It's still pretty. I'm not so hung up on names except for knowing what a plant is supposed to look like (if correctly ID'd). I'm just as happy with a beautiful NOID. When trading I often request named varieties so I don't end up with duplicate plants but if someone has a pic of a pretty NOID that works too. One of my favorite brugs is a bi-color double that I grew from seed.

Janice it sounds like it was likely an honest mistake if it was a reputable seller. **** happens. There's a popular Ebay seller that's notorious for sending incorrectly labeled brugs and I'm pretty sure it's intentional. 7servant7.

One of my "lost label" brugs bloomed yesterday and looks very similar to the bloom that Mike posted but I have absolutely no idea what it is, pink NOID. I have to upload the pics.

• janice_gardener
    14 years ago

Karen, I know all about 7servent7. Never bought from that seller.
    I have several NOID's from lost labels also. I love them all the same. I stopped chasing the new releases and doubles along time ago. I like the ones that are heavy boomers and that hold buds.
    I will try to dig in my old pics and post a pic of my what is suppose to be IP but it will not be today.

Janice

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Mike, your brug is so beautiful! I also like how green your garden looks.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Here's the one I mentioned last night. They look very similar.

{{gwi:547067}}
    {{gwi:547069}}

• iiiitara
    14 years ago

Actually David I think yours is more akin to what a real suaveolens should look like. I think the ones with the upward curling tendrils have some versicolor in them. Or I believe there might have been some insignis x suaveolens crosses around back in the day.

In my opinion, real insignis has a very very long corolla tube that hangs far out of the calyx. Also the tendrils or peaks on the end of the flowers are much longer and face forward.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insignis

• iiiitara
    14 years ago

A white one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insignis

• iiiitara
    14 years ago

One More.

Like I said. I don't think there are any in the US. But hopefully, like the vulcanicola, we will find some soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:479033}}

• daniellalell
    14 years ago

lmao..leave it up to Matt to throw the water on the fire! just kidding! Glad to have you correct us when we have something mis-named/mislabeled.

I feel for ya guys, I hate it when ya think ya have something, and it turns out to be a NOID.

But Mike, David, Karyn, beautiful blooms!

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Matt thank you for the links. It would be awesome to actually see them growing just ONCE, in their natural habitat.

You can clearly see the differences in what you said makes a Insignis, a insignis :-)

Lucy

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

I know the feeling. 2 of my named brugs are now NOID.
    Dorothy

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No matter what it is - here it is as of this morning & a couple from about an hour or so ago! And NO - I'm not good with pics at night! Sorry! Still a 'perdy' little Brug! lol! And it did come from Janice & I think of her when I see it blooming it's heart out! Thank you Janice!! :)

Mike
    {{gwi:547071}}
    {{gwi:547072}}
    {{gwi:547073}}
    {{gwi:547074}}
    {{gwi:547075}}
    {{gwi:547077}}
    {{gwi:547079}}

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Mike you must be smiling real big every time you are home and step outside.

Beautiful!!I really appreciate every single picture you share.

Lucy

• mymacca
    13 years ago

I just happened to stumble unto this post because I was doing a search to find out what is wrong with my largest pink brug.

The flowers don't seem to open fully and the tendrils curl downward instead of upward.

It looks exactly like the one in the link. so I guess there's nothing wrong with it...it's just not the one I was hoping for! It's Insignis

What I was looking for is the dark pink with strongly recurved flowers. Anyone near SE PA wanna trade?

• figara
    13 years ago

Mike your brug is so pretty. I enjoy your pictures. Keep them coming.

This post transported me back in time when.....

Hope will be more posts like this in the future. I enjoy it very much.
    Welcome back everybody and hope you will visit us more often.
    Pat

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

This was pulled from last fall. Welcome mymacca. You might want to address this in a new post so more people can see it and respond. We would love to see pics of your plant as well.

• haase
    13 years ago

Yeah. Mike and Lucy. Back now?

• figara
    13 years ago

Ingrid, I thought so too but it's an old post from Sept 2009. No wonder it felt good.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm