Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Naughty Nick

ruthz
9 years ago

I've had Naughty Nick several years and it never blooms.
Anybody have any suggestions.
I have repotted.
I do water often.
I do fertilize some.

I have buds on almost all my other brugs right now, but not Naughty Nick.

Comments (7)

• ruthz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bumping down

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

NN really likes to get tall, be in the ground and really gets flushing for me in the Fall when the night temps start dropping down. Lots of fertilizer.

9 years ago

Naughty Nick
    {{gwi:452155}}

See how tall it likes to get ! lol It really likes full sun. This one was getting a little afternoon shade from the fence so grew kinda scraggly. I find that here in NE Florida MADM and NN both like full sun or they get leggy.
    {{gwi:446324}}

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 17:43

• ruthz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jasmine, thanks for the pictures and info.
    If that's a 6' fence, then NN must be about 9' or 10' tall.
    Mine is about 5' now.
    I can also fertilize more. What fertilizer do you use on yours?
    I don't have any full sun, but I could put it in more sun.
    I have planted brugs in ground several times and ended up digging them up because they didn't grow well.
    Last year I lost my in ground Xena over the winter.

9 years ago

Yes I think its a 6 ft fence. It can grow really tall. I had a couple NN plants that I kept more trimmed and in full sun and they got bushier so that is probably better lol. More branches = more flowers :)

I use all kinds of stuff for fertilizer. I put milorganite and compost from our chickens and rabbits in the hole when I plant them out.
    Then I usually fertilize every few weeks with Miracle Grow, epsom salts, manure/compost tea or whatever I have handy at the time. Whenever I clean out my patio ponds I run a hose out to the brugs and hook it to a pump inside the pond and let it run out on the brugs that are close by. Fish poo is yummy to brugs lol.
    I don't think brugs are all that picky about what kind of fertilizer as long as they get lots of it. I do use a bloom booster in the fall when I know they are really gonna be blooming en masse and I get good results from that.
    You could put some holes in the sides of your pots as well as the bottoms and sink your pots 1/2 to 3/4 of the way into the ground. That way they can benefit from getting their roots in the soil but you can dig them up (whole pot) easier in the fall. I use the black nursery pots for this since they are cheap and easy to put side holes into.
    I have some brugs that I keep that way. I also do all my plumeria that way because they will freeze here in the winter and have to be moved into the greenhouse. Sinking the pots also helps keep top heavy plants from falling over in the storms or wind.
    ~SJN

9 years ago

If you don't have any critters for manure you can buy black cow or get some manure off craigslist. Some people will sell it cheap or free. Make sure that you compost the fresh stuff. Rabbits and goat manure can be used right away but cow, pig, chicken, horse etc need to be composted for several mos. so it doesn't burn. The black cow is already composted so you can use it right away. I put a shovelful into several 5 gallon buckets then let them sit about 3 or 4 days. Stir a few times. Then I just dump the whole thing onto the plants. I have a couple garden wagons that I use to haul them cuz they are heavy lol. It works out.

• marcie_new
    9 years ago

I so want a cutting of NN pretty please

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!