Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

Getting ready for fall

kasha77
11 years ago

Even though the first killing frost is a month or so away, I've decided to cut down my angels. They are just begining to bloom, but since I'm probably going in for surgery soon, I want to be prepared. I'm sure I won't be doing any gardening for a while afterwards. It's actually a good thing. My cuttings are soaked in a bucket of water for a day, then I pot them up. They will have a month of nice weather outside in the shade to root before I take them to the basement under lights. My hubby has agreed to go up and down the stairs to water them once in a while. I didn't want to forfeit next year's plants for my web store. If I was able, I'd ship out cuttings and have a contest for the newbies like I do every year, but I'm just in too much pain to walk around much. So I do only what's absolutely necessary! I've got almost all the doubles cut down. I will only save some choice singles, since many didn't move last year. This year was scratched off for me as far as gardening goes, but there's always next year! :)

Comments (16)

• knotz
    11 years ago

Best of luck with your surgery!!...Hope you heal up real fast :)

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

You certainly are right on the ball in preparing ahead, Kathy! Praying for a quick recovery from your surgery. Please let us know when surgery is scheduled so we can all pray for you.

Earlier on my brugs did fairly well, but then it got extremely hot, and the few blooms were smaller in size. It's starting to get cool in the evenings now and blooms are getting back to normal size.

• ruth_ann
    11 years ago

You sound like me Kathy LOL. This year ended up being a write off for me as well due to pain when on my feet.
    Hoping your surgery goes well, that your surgeon has skilled hands and your recovery goes without a hitch.
    Good Luck.

• Bob_A
    11 years ago

Good luck, Kathy!

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Kathy, may the Great Surgeon place His hands on your doctor's hands and you recover quickly. Feel free to email and chat whenever you feel like it. We will add you to our prayer list!

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Kathy,

Thinking of you...be well!

Annie

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow- thank you to all of my garden web friends for your concern! Ruth Ann, I'm sorry to hear that your feet are giving you trouble. Hope next year will be pain free for you! Kayjones- thank you for such a living and beautiful prayer! I know He will be there guiding my doctors' hands and that He will give us success!

• ruth_ann
    11 years ago

Kathy, it is my back that is bad again but standing/walking/being up on my feet is painful due to pinched nerves and degenerating discs. Sorry if the way a worded my other post led you astray.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Sounds like many of us have had a difficult year physically. Hope all find relief and can enjoy a new gardening season in 2013.

Thank goodness for families and friends and the help to give us to continue to garden even in limited amounts, and to our online friends for inspiration and encouragement.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ruth Ann, is there anything they can do for you? I hate to hear that you are suffering so that you can't even enjoy your favorite pastime!

• ruth_ann
    11 years ago

My Neurosurgeon thinks I need a higher fusion done. I am fused from L2 to S1 but need to go higher he thinks so I see the Orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to get his opinion. There is a screw into the disc between L1 and L2 from the fusion in 2010 that really needs to be address if nothing else but if they recommend a higher fusion, the hardware from 2010 needs first to be removed so surgery could take 8 hours.

Can you believe I am down to 3 Brugs now?

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ruth Ann- WOW! Sounds pretty serious! I hope you're not in too much pain, and I hope your surgeon has a great plan to enhance your life and make it more bearable. You're in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!

You're down to 3 brugs now? I'll bet you really spoil them! :)

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Ruth Ann, I hope your surgeon had a good plan that will relieve some or all of your pain and allow you to be more mobile and comfortable.

I still review your information about storing brugs for the winter each fall before digging mine.

Three brugs is much more manageable. I got carried away with trades and gifts of cuttings and had a lot of work digging and carrying them downstairs (with the help of DH). I think there were about 20 plants. I was remembering when I had only three and thinking that I will cull my brugs next fall. Some didn't bloom this year so want to wait and see them bloom before deciding which ones to keep. Which ones did you keep?

• ruth_ann
    11 years ago

mnwsgal, This year I will only keep long cuttings of a double orange I got when I visited Native Habitat Ethnobotanicals This year I will only keep long cuttings of a double orange I got when I visited Native Habitat Ethnobotanicals near Miami one year. I expect I was told the name of the Brug it was taken from but once I got home I couldn't remember so ever since I just call it NHE so I remember it LOL. Anytime it is passed along I tell the recipients NHE stands for the name of the source, NOT the name of the plant and it must never be registered with any name because the parent is already registered. Basically it is a N.O.I.D. but at the time years ago, the no-id term was not in use.

At one time I had 50 Brugs but annually I have reduced down to my favourites, either for shape, colour or fragrance. I like NHE for its shape (double orange and pendant hanging.)

nicals near Miami one year. I expect I was told the name of the Brug it was taken from but once I got home I couldn't remember so ever since I just call it NHE so I remember it LOL. Anytime it is passed along I tell the recipients NHE stands for the name of the source, NOT the name of the plant and it must never be registered with any name because the parent is already registered. Basically it is a N.O.I.D. but at the time years ago, the no-id term was not in use.

At one time I had 50 Brugs but annually I have reduced down to my favourites, either for shape, colour or fragrance. I like NHE for its shape (double orange and pendant hanging.)

• Opening_Night
    11 years ago

This Angel Trumpet was given to us last spring. My first. Pray Tell: The Nursery guy, said to cut it down near the ground and it'll come back next spring. I'm so hesitant. What do I do??????? Thanks for any help!

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in zone 7b. I cut my angels down but leave about 8 inches from the ground up. Mulch them with pine straw or shredded leaves. They will come back for you next spring! You can take the hardwood portion of your stem and root it in potting soil. Then you will have 2 lovely plants next year!
    Good luck!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner