Any ideas

Comments (11)

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another one

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Which brug is this, Ruth??? This has been such a dismal brug year for me, and looks as though a lot of folks are having problems. I am hoping my Charles Grimaldi bounces back after I finally determined it was ants causing the problem with him. Are all the buds on the particular brug doing the same thing??

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

About half the buds on Eternity have been this way.
    Super Nova, Charles Grimaldi and Dr Seuss are blooming and flowers seem smaller and color seems lighter then normal.
    I have several others that have buds and will be blooming soon. I can't tell if they're shredded like this until they start to open.
    My New Orleans Lady just lost all it's leaves and died, and Mountain Magic seems to be doing the same thing.
    I don't know what's happening to them.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

The blooms on my Dr. Seuss are smaller than usual and not as fragrant. I don't have an answer, Ruth, but if I did, I would be trying to "fix" things. I have had shredded buds before, and nothing was wrong with the plant, but since you are having other problems as well (and so am I), I don't know what is wrong.

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

are they just shredded, or are there pieces missing? I had a cutworm climb into one of my developing buds and eat parts of it. It came out looking somewhat shredded.

This post was edited by AllanRandall on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 23:46

• monet_g
    10 years ago

My guess goes along with Allan's suggestion - insect damage. It might be kinda late in the season, but you could try BATS as a systemic. I try to get an application on my outdoor potted plants each year. Helps keep the "baddies" off them. I will do another application soon in anticipation of bringing them in for the winter. (A concern you don't have in Texas.)

Gail

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think there are probably pieces missing.
    This morning I saw a shredded one on my Frosty Pink, which is in my front yard. Eternity is in the back yard.
    Isabella is bloomed out today and all the flowers seem to be okay. I'm going to Marshall's Grain this morning and will look for something organic to spray on them.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

It could be grasshoppers as well, Ruth, they have done a great deal of damage on a lot of my plants this season. They seem to love hibiscus, and I get very few hibiscus blooms. Still using Nolo bait, so hopefully, they won't be so bad next season.

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

A couple years ago this happened to my single white brug, but the following season, the blooms returned to normal with no intervention from me. Maybe it's the weather.

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

If you think that it is possible that i might be cut worms, you may have to check on them at night. Last year, we had what could only be called an invasion, every night for about a week. For like five days, i found around 2 to 3 hundred a night. That's not an exaggeration either, it was like a horror movie of some sort. Anyways, they seemed to just show up around 10:30. It might be worth a check.

• ruth_ann
    10 years ago

I don't often read posts in here so I am not sure if you are in a drought situation but if you are, it sure could be any type if critter using your buds as a moisture source.
    As was said, likley the plant will bloom normally next year.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations