Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in leaves and No flowers

Posted by NanSingle 9A (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 15:42

Hi everyone, I'm new to Brugmansia and new to this forum. I planted 4 of these plants this year... 2 in the ground, and 2 in big plastic pots on the patio. All in the sun, with some relief in late afternoon. All are growing well, but I've had alot of problems lately with my leaves looking like swiss cheese. What causes this and how do I get rid of it? (I've seen a few green spiders on the leaves, but left them alone hoping they're eating the bad bugs). Also, my plants have not flowered. Not so much as one lousy bud. Lots of leaflets coming out along main stem, but they don't seem to be doing much. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in leaves and No flowers

Well I'm having a lousy bloom summer too, so no advice there. The holes in the leaves, could be what's making holes in mine too. Little butterflies laying eggs which turn into little worms which eat the leaves to turn into little butterflies that lay eggs, and so on.

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 14, 11 at 12:54

Welcome !!!!!
Have the Brugs you have made a Y at the top yet...As for the holes could be worms as Dianne mentioned or slugs??? Do you have any pic's??

Kylie

o

Thanks for responding!! I think the leaf holes are from little black catapillers/worms (not sure what the difference is! LOL). Caught one munching on a leaf so squished him and fed him to my goldfish in the pond. They, unlike me, loved it!

And, no, no "Y" yet. Thought this would've happened much sooner. I live in central Florida, so growing season is longer, but I hope it's long enough to let me see a flower or two before everything either goes dormant or dies. Do these plants normally die back to the ground over winter?

o

Wed, Sep 14, 11 at 14:15

That depends on your weather..If it gets below 36*ish they would need protection..
I am a Z8 soooo everything either comes in or gets cut back to about 8~10" and root cuttings.. They are hardy enough to come back here but take a long time to get to the blooming stage..
Glad you found the culprit!!!! Yummy Fish Food!!! ;0)

Kylie

o

How do I root the cuttings?

o

Thu, Sep 15, 11 at 13:36

I usually root mine in water ..Some are easier than others.. If you go down to the search box and put in Rooting Brug Cuttings there is LOTS of info to pick thru..All kinds of Different methods!!!

Kylie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here