Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottahosta

Texas friends

gottahosta
13 years ago

Y'all okey?

Some of you are getting lots and lots of rain from the former hurricane. I know Kristy and Lucy have had around 5 inches so far.

Let us hear from you!

~Brenda

Comments (20)

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Brenda,
    I sent pics to the e-mail addy.
    I live about 35 miles from them. I got over 5 inches this morning. The rain guage ran over. The sun is out now. I don't think it did any good to spread fertilizer on the yard yesterday afternoon.
    pa

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

Saw on the news (Canadian) the horrible scenes of flooding.

have my fingers crossed.!!!!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I had no idea. Hope you don't get any flooding or damage. We could use some up here but not 5"!

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hope ya'll are ok, our prayers are with you-

kasha77

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

Could you send a little our way? A good rain would put that raging fire out in the Boulder foothills.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Tommysmommy,
    I wish I could send some to you, you need it more than I.
    Lucy is on top of a mountain, so she is safe, Kristy is in an area of higher elevation and should be OK. I'm on a hill and there is no danger for me.
    It may have been more than 5" that's where the guage stops.
    Thanks for the prayers for all us texans.
    pa

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Brenda, you are so sweet to ask. We did have about 8 inches in two days here in San Antonio. Since that's more than half our annual rainfall, it's quite a bit. At least we don't have to worry about drought for a while. There were some folks that got flooded and one man swept away in his truck. It's so dangerous because they don't build bridges on the roads here and the low water crossings are hard to judge.

I was thinking of posting my brug foliage under "Shredded Brugs." No kidding, they look like a machine gun hit them. They kept their blooms so we'll see if they bloom out.

Haven't heard from Barbra/honeybunny yet, but hope she checks in soon.

I posted my pics in the Texas Forum, so have attached a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hermine

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Hoping everyone is fine. Is Kylie o.k. where she's at?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

I think Kylie is in Oklahoma this week. We got 5 plus inches at my house ~ 50 miles from Kylie, so I bet her house is just fine.

Pam

• chena
    13 years ago

Thanks for checkin!!!! We only got 2 1/2" but anything out here is a blessing the tanks/ponds are full and the wheat field is ready to plow and plant.. BUT I wish they would send us another 6-8" LOL wouldn't t hurt my fellers a bit.. My thoughts and Prayers do go out to those who have lost so much!!!

Kylie

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Finally got my computer up and running! Glad to know everyone is doing fine, although 5" can be a lot in some places.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

The rain hasn't really quit, a second storm came in right behind the the other one and they were predicting a lot of floods at the coast over the weekend. The rain has moved inland too.

Barbra, how are things at the coast?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I just got back from Rockport today, and we were flooding. My yard had been underwater for days, I had to bale out water from the laundry room, everything was floating. I had to remove the bricks from around my flowerbeds and dig trenches. I cannot believe all the flooding around the Corpus Christi area. Today coming home IH_37 was under water before the 188 exit. Nothing on this was on the news. I watched the weather channel, and nothing. Last Saturday Linda, came over to take pictures of the white hummingbird in my yard, she said we already had over 10 inches of rain, not including Saturday. It has rained almost every day since then. I was down for 3 weeks, and this last week was a nightmare. I am glad I was there, the water was at least 5 inches deep in my flowerbeds, I removed the bricks and dug trenches so the water could escape. I was soaked, but I think I might have saved some of my plants. Today when I left some of my new plants had lost their leaves, and the datura actually looked like they had been fried. I will go back next weekend, no telling what I will find. Three weeks ago I planted some new giant elephant ears, today they actually looked yellow, I sure hope they make it. The ground is just saturated. Barbra

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Wow Barbra, that is a lot of water. I pray that everyone is safe, your homes will not be damaged with all that water, and that the plants will be able to use up some of that water for growing!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Eloise, they kept posting a message on the TV, asking people who needed help from the flood, to call 211( not 911), to see if they were eligible for federal assistance. It was crazy, my neighbors parked on the street, they had wooden crates with plyboard on top, so they could walk to their front door. Thank goodness, I never had to leave for anything. I had cabin fever stuck in a 709 sq ft home with 3 dogs. I was so ready to come home yesterday. I checked the Rockport weather and it rained yesterday, and today from noon to 5pm. I hope it misses my place, and just rains all around me. As strange as it sounds, that actually happens. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Barbra, so good to hear from you that you're okay and back in town now. That really sounds like quite a week you had and a good bit worse than here in San Antonio. At least you were able to save some of your plants.

I only heard a little about the flooding on the news, but I thought you were down there so had been wondering how it was going.

Thanks for checking in.

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

Well I was one of the lucky ones? we had some rain but not enough, it did rain some and also was a spoted rain, there were places where it did not rain sort of like in the movies! across the street from me IT WAS RAINING, my side very few drops, while I was driving in town the rain was on one side of the main street but not on the other, it was raining in spot at the parking lot too.Then this last week the rain went all around us, Lagrange got some, Lincoln, Lexington, brenham,Bastrop fedor norhtrup.Caldwell.Paige.However we did manage to get rain at night early in the morning. So we were not completely dry

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Just popped in to say hello. Haven't gotten much time for anything this summer and son is here hogging the computer right now, lol. We came close to flooding thanks to the house just above me blocking the normal flow of water down the center of the yard when he built things in his yard. Now it comes out of his yard and right against my house. Also have some gutters failing which blasted a big hole in my flower bed. Water came all the way to the back door and right above my foundation in two spots so been doing some improvements around here to try and fix the problem before we get another heavy rain. Plants have not gotten much attention this year but have a few that have bloomed. I'll post pics when I get some time. I miss you all!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

Hi Kristy! We need to dig a french drain too this winter. It's feast or famine with the rain!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Just got back from the coast, my husband checked with our neighbor, since he always measures the rain. He said we had 20 inches of rain. They had 17 inches downtown Rockport. The sides of the road are still under water, but it sure was a beautiful day. Thank goodness I was down there digging trenches, at lot of plants lost their leaves, but it looks like they will come back, even the plumeria. My dark yellow brugmansia was standing in water for 3 days, there was no where for the water to go. The bark is turning yellow, I hope it will make it. Can brugmansia rot? Barbra

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz