Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT: Insect ID

Posted by karyn1 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 15, 11 at 17:31

I'm hoping that someone here knows what this is. I posted on Pests and Disease but have no idea if this is a bad guy. There's no insect ID forum on GW except for the butterfly forum. These little guys showed up in the greenhouse about 10 days ago. They were on the undersides of various leaves. They don't seem to do much of anything including move. They are almost gone now. I don't know if they have a short lifespan or if they moved out of the greenhouse. They look a bit like a lacewing with a curved body and are smaller, maybe 1/4".
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: Insect ID

That is odd, I've no idea what it is, I hope someone can help Karyn. Sorry I'm no help. :(

~Tina

o

It looks like a May Fly but they hatch the middle of July here so maybe not. Great fish food.
Bill

o

That's what someone else said but like you said it's the wrong time of year. These don't have "tails" and there's no water source in the greenhouse that they could have hatched out of.

o

Hm, the picture looks like stage four of the mayfly. A Dun. But with no water source, I have no idea what it is.

~Tina

Here is a link that might be useful: Mayfly life cycle

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 12:20

Looks like a mayfly to me as well!!!

Kylie

o

It looks like a mayfly but where would they have come from? It's not like it was a single fly that wandered in. There was easily over 100 and they all appeared at the same time so they must have just hatched. There's no water in or near the greenhouse and they pupate in water for a very long time. Maybe I have some kind of mutant mayfly in my yard. lol

o

Looks like a brown lacewing to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown Lacewing

o

Sat, Sep 17, 11 at 14:58

I don't know about the brown ones but the green ones have a very distinct sound.. annoying if the get in they house..They show up in the Spring here..

Kylie

o

I am giving up on getting the ID of this stupid bug! The lacewings don't have the sickle shaped body, at least not that I know of and these are about 1/2 the size of the green lacewings. Kylie this doesn't make any noise. It really does look most like a mayfly but without a water source???? BTW Kyle you want the lacewings. They are a beneficial insect, especially in the larval stage and eat aphids and other soft bodied insects.

o

Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 11:43

Karyn I love lace wings.. Just not in the house.. I found one on my back door last night which I thought was odd...

Kylie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here