Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stanglebrand maybe, maybe not???

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 18:04

I'm not sure if this B. arborea has Stanglebrand or not. It's similar but not really. I've had Stanglebrand in the past and it usually starts off as a very small lesion and rapidly progresses but seems to affect the upper layers of tissue. This is starting as a large lesion, almost like a tree canker. It's affecting the older woody stems and they are splitting open. I've previously posted pics of Stanglebrand on the forum but can't find them so I linked to BGI's pics. You can see the difference but whatever it is, even if not SB, it's not good. Thankfully this isn't anywhere near my other brugs. I'm not going to dispose of it right off, at least not until I'm positive of the Dx.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: BGI stanglebrand pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stanglebrand maybe, maybe not???

Ooh, that doesn't look good. I guess it's a virus of some type? Hope it hasn't spread to any others, good luck!

o

I still have no idea what it is. It's not near any brugs. The only thing close to it is a theobroma cacao tree and a few impatiens and they look fine. I think I'll post on the pest and disease forum and see if I can get an answer there.

o

Karyn,

do you mind if I post the pic in BGI and see what others there think?

:)

o

Please do. I would really appreciate that. Please let me know what you hear. Thanks

o

Never having seen SB in person I am not much help Karyn. It almost looks like it all started with the upper wound, doesn't it?
What does the foliage above this look like? Usually SB affects the channels that supply the tissue above them so that the foliage looks malnourished or is dying.

o

The foliage looks fine but with all the damage I don't see how that is. The tissue is destroyed almost down to the pith. There's a couple stems that are unaffected that I was considering cutting and rooting but I'd like to find out what the problem is first.

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 12:55

I had one that did that I went ahead and trashed it... It was Lemon Twist.... But IMHO I don't think it is SB...

Kylie

o

I don't think it is stranglebrand. I have seen it in person on a friend's plants and I don't think it is it. She had gotten some nursery plants and they had various stages of the lesions. We went back to that nursery and sure enough, there were more just like hers!
For one SB is usually a lesion with a dark ring around it. If left to heal on its own then it starts to get a
dry-rotted appearance to it.

To me, yours looks more like some type of split in the trunk that stayed wet or got some type of fungal thing going on but not SB. One time one of mine got a split and I ended up digging a big caterpillar out of it lol. I let it heal and it began to look like your photo of the knot looking brug.
~SJN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here