Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Latest a Brug Would Begin Flowering in Z.5?

arbo_retum
9 years ago

Why do we sometimes neglect the things we love the most? well, that's a question for another time....

Every may/june we bring up our heavy potted brugs from our 60 degree windowless cellar, and place them in their full sun spot for the season. I know they want constant food but this year, we had some health issues, and feeding didn't happen for the first few weeks, or even a month....which is why, iiuc, they have not budded or bloomed yet? We did, however, keep them well watered. (Do you replace your potting soil every spring too?)

If you are in z.5, when would you stop hoping they were going to bloom? I'd rather not waste fertilizer if it won't 'do any good' ? (And yes, it makes me feel terrible that they're not flowering.) Thk you.

Comments (10)

• msmorningsong
    9 years ago

Yes, give them new soil in spring, along with a good does of Osmocote, and fertilize heavily. It gets them going. A splash of sea kelp powder mixed in water used as soil drench or foliar feed goes a long way too. You want flowers, you must pay attention to this plant.

• halley_rose
    9 years ago

My just got buds for the first time a week ago. I'm still hoping for some flowers. Good luck!

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

Here in upper zone 6, there've been too many Brugmansias that have flowered only in early-mid fall, or earlier in the season on just one occasion. This happens with some varieties regardless of fertilizer schedule, and it's just too big a pain (figuratively and literally given the strain on my back) to keep moving plants to ever larger tubs and haul them back and forth from the basement.

I'm positive* this is the year I give up on the monster plants that flower sparingly, and concentrate on the smaller varieties with heavier/more frequent flushes of bloom and more compact habits (the "Angel" series from Logees has fit the bill so far).

*at least 95% positive, anyway.

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 years ago

Here in upper zone 6, there've been too many Brugmansias that have flowered only in early-mid fall, or earlier in the season on just one occasion. This happens with some varieties regardless of fertilizer schedule, and it's just too big a pain (figuratively and literally given the strain on my back) to keep moving plants to ever larger tubs and haul them back and forth from the basement.

I'm positive* this is the year I give up on the monster plants that flower sparingly, and concentrate on the smaller varieties with heavier/more frequent flushes of bloom and more compact habits (the "Angel" series from Logees has fit the bill so far).

*at least 95% positive, anyway.

• Edie
    9 years ago

I've got a NOID pink that just set its first flower buds for the season. We had frost back in September and everything had to be covered. And freezing temps last night. I left the pink's top growth intact and dug and potted it to bring inside, but like Eric, I'm questioning whether certain varieties are worth the effort.

I have four varieties, including the much-lauded Dr. Seuss which is the only one with a known name. I was given a NOID brug in bud, fresh from the greenhouse, as a wonderful gift this spring. That one flowered several times with lovely orange blooms. None of the others has bloomed this year, except the pink that's trying to now.
    I'm giving them one more year of probation.

• msmorningsong
    9 years ago

Don't know your situations. Are they in-ground, or in large planters?
    Brugs love food, Feed them. Don't write this plant off because you
    have not understood their needs. FEED the plant! Often! It will bloom, even in your short season, several times a year with extra perlite and tomato fertilizer.
    You will never burn the leaf of this plant with ferts. If you don't have the time for this, then get rid of it, you don't deserve the beauty.
    Quit whining.

• msmorningsong
    9 years ago

Know this guy? He grows some of the most beautiful brugmansia on the planet. And his growing season is as short, if not shorter; than yours. Sorry guys, your'e picking on my favorite plant. Again, either learn how to grow it, or trash it.
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0212444023053.html

This post was edited by MsMorningSong on Sun, Oct 12, 14 at 15:46

• alexg
    9 years ago

Wow that's a bit nasty. Actually I have found that even thought I treat my brugs the same, sometimes the weather outside has modified their bloom time. This year, after a strange non-summer, I finally lugged mine in last weekend, even though the temps are up again, its just getting a bit late here. Last night the first of only 4 buds opened for this year. Last year I got none. I put out and feed heavily every year. The smell from that one flower is incredible - my entire house smells great! If you really love this plant, seems to me that you should be using your knowledge to help others love it too! That's what I would do :)

• Edie
    9 years ago

Wow, the comments on this thread are getting vicious. I know Ruth Ann grows astounding brugs in my zone. But there seems to be a definite learning curve with these plants. Last year I had mine in pots, none bloomed, and I considered giving up on them entirely. Encouragement from the forum members convinced me to keep trying for another year. I had my brugs in the ground this year, in a compost-enriched raised bed. I fed monthly with Milorganite and Shake-N-Feed. We had regular rain. I watered when it didn't rain enough. Still no blooms except on the mystery orange. I suspect there are early-blooming and late-blooming varieties of brugmansia, as with many other plants. Early bloomers would be more likely to bloom in areas with short seasons.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Don't know about your zone but here in z:4 I dug my brugs up and put in 10" pots because of frost warnings. Most had not bloomed but had buds, some about to open. Most bloomed in the unheated garage with minimal watering and no fertilizer. Too heavy to move in and out of the garage so I open the door for more light.

Today the last brug bloomed. This one was moved back outside to the patio as the buds were quite small and I continued to water and fertilize it because I wanted to see what type of blossom it produces.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County