Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buds Buds and more Buds

Posted by tommysmommy Colorado (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 20:50

I have 5 brugs with buds, currently there is no sign of frost (in fact it's been unseasonably warm) and I'm crossing my fingers so tightly it hurts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buds Buds and more Buds

After 3 and a half inches of heavy rains, all of my angels are covered in buds too! I'll take pics and show everyone when they open!

o

Hope that cold weather stays away until after they bloom.

o

I'll second that, Karyn. I have some with lots of buds that I have never seen blossom yet. I think I an going to pot them and wait it out so I can finally see them. I think they will open their buds with just flourescent lights, won't they? I can put probably 1/2 of them in the greenhouse and get another month. Small 10 x 12 greenhouse from Harbor Freight.
Bill

o

I think there are a few weeks to go before it freezes here!

I, on the other hand, have been disappointed with how hot it has been for September in Colorado, because I just divided a bunch of perennials hoping cool weather was imminent so they'd have an easier time establishing. 80-degree weather is not great for plants stuck into the ground with hardly any roots. I think I lost some of the oriental poppies I took root cuttings from and some of the other plants are looking pretty sorry.

Anyway, I'm in Colorado also, growing brugs indoors and out.

Are yours in pots? If so, and if the "big freeze" comes and they are still blooming or have not yet bloomed, they will be perfectly happy to continue blooming in the warm house for a couple more weeks until finished. If you can set one in front of a sliding glass door, that's great. But even if you don't have the best light, they will continue blooming until the current crop runs its course, then they will return to a more vegetative growth or start going dormant.

A full crop of brugmansia flowers in the house has a very intense scent that penetrate absolutely everything at night; its pretty intoxicating.

I've put them in the garage before and they kept putting out new flowers in total pitch-black darkness for about 3 weeks. First, the leaves dropped. Then the newly-opening flowers became smaller and paler, until finally the remaining small buds dropped and the plants went dormant. It didn't seem to hurt them at all and they happily came out of dormancy in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here