Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Datura frost worry

Posted by valeriepa z5-6 NEPA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 21:56

My daturas have formed large green seed pods. I am afraid they will not be mature before frost hits. Besides potting up and bringing inside, does anyone have any suggestions?
Also I read in another post, you can harvest green pods and place them in a brown paper bag to mature? Has anyone harvested viable this way?
Thanks for any advice. I really want the seeds from my triple yellow datura.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Datura frost worry

Hi fellow NEPA gardener. I'm in the Wilkes Barre area, and have grown dats in the past here. I no longer grow them, because brugmansias have become my plant of choice these days. I think that you will have at least 2 more weeks or more to let the pods mature on the plants. They will still be ok even after the first frost if it's not a killing frost. You will want to harvest the seeds before the pod split open anyway, or else you will have seeds scattered everywhere. It happens fast, so keep a sharp eye on them. If you have to harvest them too soon, the bag method may help to ripen the pods, but leave them on the plant as long as you can. My brugs are setting nice end of the season flushes now,and as I said before, the forecast looks good for at least the next 10 days or so. By the way, where are you located in NEPA.
dAN

o
RE: Datura frost worry

I live in Scranton. Still waiting for the triple yellow seed pod to mature. Did get seed from my white datura. I'm checking on the yellow one daily, but it still is green without a hint of browning. Thanks for the advice Dan.
Valerie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here