Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maile_2010

1st FROST

maile_2010
12 years ago

We are expecting our 1st frost Tuesday, high of 67 for the day and 36 or lower for the night. Sept full moon. I shouldn't get hit by frost because of the hill but never the less I spent all day trimming back the foliage and putting in stakes by the Brugs that have buds for the cloth sheets for frost protection. I have 20 + in the ground this year plus another 10 or so in containers. Tommorrow after work, I will spend all evening potting up Brugs in 1 gal containers and probally Tues also to bring in the garage Tues. nite. Let the work begin for for their Beauty. Plus I have my Hawaiins, Cacti's, Iochroma's,EE, hibiscus, etc. and over 20 Datura's. All the Canna's to dig up. Still wouldn't want to live anywhere else right now. We have more shoreline than Hawaii and Calif. combined. Can't wait till I retire next April. Nothng gives me more joy other than my Grandkids,fishing and my plants in that order. GOT TO LOVE IT.

Jerry

Comments (15)

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Hey, Jerry, have I asked you where you live? Sounds like the Twin Cities will be okay frost wise but I am keeping an eye on the temps. I live in Maple Grove near the shopping area around I-494 and I-694.

I'm also hosting the MN GW Fall Swap at 10 a.m. on Sept. 24.
    You are welcome to come and bring your extra brugs as well as any other plants you want to share. Will usually brings cuttings and sometimes small rooted cuttings though the plants are mostly in the spring. I will have cuttings.
    Bobbie

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Hope your plants did ok last night. Hopefully we have about 4-6 weeks before the first frost here. I dread moving everything.

• chena
    12 years ago

WOW!!!!I can't believe you are already getting a chance of Frost.. We are back to trip. digits again this week..LOL

Kylie

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I spent the afternoon potting up the smaller brugs and covering the three largest ones which have either buds or blossoms. Also took a couple of cuttings from the ones covered. I was surprised as I was working with the brugs that the leaves smell like coffee.

DH even had to stand on the small step stool to help me cover the tallest one which must be at seven-eight feet tall.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Sometimes we even get snow up here around Halloween. It can get pretty ugly. :P So it's getting there. Hope everyone gets to enjoy beautiful blooms! Don't forget to share them, I'd love to see pictures. :)

~Tina

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Happily no frost for our area of the metro. Low was 36 degrees. Will be back in the 70s this weekend.

• mantorvillain
    12 years ago

Glad y'all didn't get hit. Temp here was 32-33 and I live in a valley so I wasn't so lucky. I moved those of a size I could into a 'crowd' and ran the sprinkler all night so they came through OK. Most of the others did have some degree of frost damage, mostly on the tops/tips and were looking pretty sad by last night. Some of the buds were sheltered by leaves so am hoping they don't drop. Now at 6am today its 45 deg so here's hoping we don't get another night like that for a while yet.
    Will

• karyn1
    12 years ago

It was chilly here this morning, 43F. Highs are only supposed to be in the 60's the next few days, then it's back into the 80's.

• princealbert
    12 years ago

Bobbie,
    princealbert from texas here.
    Just wanted to say hello,and inquire how the varigated cutting that you got last winter is doing. I moved to Aransas Pass this summer
    pa

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Hi, pa. I sent you an e-mail.

None of my cuttings from last year has gotten very tall and no blooms though the one from Kristy is starting to y.

Here is how I covered my brugs. We used 10 foot poles around the taller plant and made a tent. DH is over 6 feet tall and had to get a step stool to pin the row cover to the blanket & sheets.

{{gwi:558019}}

All that work was not needed but had to be done, just in case.
    Hope the frost holds off until October.

Bobbie

• Ament
    12 years ago

Better safe than sorry I always say. Even when it appears like it "Might" hail here, I go running out and cover up what I can, bring in what I can and pray for the rest to survive. Frost hit here last wed. So I'm glad I brought my two little brugs in. :)

~Tina

• beachplant
    12 years ago

Hope ya'll are staying warm enough! Price Albert how do you like Port Aransas? I love the area, haven't been there for years.
    Tally HO!

• chena
    12 years ago

PA!! Nice to see ya!! miss ya!!!

Kylie

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Always holding our breath up here in the north this time of year. So glad you escaped the dreaded frost Jerry. Our average first frost date here is October 7 but you know what? I'm going away next weekend and how much you wanna bet it will frost while I'm away and can't do a darn thing about it!?

• princealbert
    12 years ago

Tally & Kylie.
    I like it here. I still have plants in Belton to bring down. I have only put a couple of rose of sharons in the ground. too busy arranging the house to even go fishing.
    The floor space is the same as the house in Belton, but the lay out makes getting everything in place difficult.
    I'll keep in touch
    pa

Sponsored