Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
izharhaq

My seedlings (Royal Ruby x First Belle)

izharhaq
13 years ago

Just wanted to share my very first brugs, they are a cross between Royal Ruby x First Belle. One seedling has four cotyledons instead of two... interesting:

{{gwi:559133}}

Izhar

Comments (23)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I have seen that happen with various dicots but never a brug seedling. I wonder what causes it? You should separate and pot those up individually soon or the roots become difficult to tease apart.

Brugs must get huge in your climate.

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your new Brug babies!

Karen

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Karyn, I have already prepared larger pots for individual plants. I am quiet excited as Brugmansia are not available in our region..

Izhar

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One of the seedlings, growing well in ground (pic taken on 27-01-11):

{{gwi:559134}}

Rest of them given to friends are no longer in this world...

• chena
    13 years ago

Great Job.. Looks lush and very happy!! I can't wait to see the bloom.

Kylie

• rudy625
    13 years ago

Congrats !!! Looks very healthy,keep on up-dateing with pictures.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I have have had a few with 3 or 4 cotyledons before. Usually one or two fall off and it just grows normally. I have noticed that some of those plants were especially vigorous. I think someone at BGI was studying the one with xtra cotyledons a few yrs ago. Can't remember who right now.

13 years ago

I found a pic on my photobucket of one seedling I had a few yrs ago with 3. It developed into a plant with a tri-Y instead of just a regular Y.
    {{gwi:559135}}

This is a different plant but it shows what a tri-Y looks like.
    {{gwi:559138}}

• ruth_ann
    13 years ago

You are doing well with the one you kept, it is a really nice dark green and looks very healthy. Can you leave them out year round there or are you in one of the areas the experiences colder temperatures?

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is actually the "colder temperature" season nowadays, I dont know how they (I have one more seedling Jinny Lind x Karoline) will do in our hot summers when temperature remains in 90s. I am feeding it weekly with Grow More 20-20-20 (this fertilizer has made a marked difference in all of my plants). Here is the other seedling also in ground:

{{gwi:559140}}

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Both of my seedlings Y'd in three directions, just the last pic by Lenette... they are forming flower buds and dropping each and every one!! what should I do? is this preventable? the temperatures are between 65-95F...

13 years ago

Some things that can cause bud drop are pests (especially aphids and thrips), fluctuating temperatures, too much or too little water, and too much fertilizer once the buds are set. If your fertilizer is too high in nitrogen the plant may drop buds in leu of pushing out new growth. If too high in phosphorus sometimes they will even drop buds just to start new flowers. So I tend to back off fertilizer once the buds set or you can try using a more balanced fertilizer (NPK ratio) at half strength. Some varieties of brugs are more prone to bud drop than others especially some doubles. Other people will have different ways they treat bud drop, this is just my experience. I hope it helps some.

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I use Growmore 20:20:20 (1 tea.sp. per 2 gallon) twice a week, water them daily in the morning, they wilt at noon and become turgid in evening..

13 years ago

I'm not familiar with Growmore but it doesn't sound like you are using too much fertilizer. Maybe moving it into afternoon shade so it doesn't wilt down so much during the day. It may be losing too much moisture from its leaves and then sacrificing buds. Once spring and summer hit sometimes they can be moved to a morning sun/afternoon shade situation especially in a dry enviornment.

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They are in ground so I'll put a light shade on them. I intend them to be a tree because my area is frost and freeze free, lets see what happens.. thanks Lenette..

Izhar

• fengshui05
    13 years ago

The seedlings look good! congrats izhar!

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The bloom of seedling Jinny Lind x Karoline, sweet and slight lemony kinda fragrance, brugs struggle in heat here:

{{gwi:559142}}
    {{gwi:559144}}

• rudy625
    12 years ago

Love the Jenny Lind X Karoline !!!! Love the color and Aurea form. I have a seedling of the same cross growing,I hope it blooms as pretty as yours. good work,keep us posted.
    Dan

• arghyagardengirl
    12 years ago

Congratulations! You did a fine job from start to finish!:)

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Beautiful

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Izhar, that is a a beauty, congrats! I love the look of the strong color in the bloom and leaves.

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Izhar, that is a beautiful flower. Congratulations.
    Bill

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much everyone... hope this plant will perform better next year...

Sponsored