Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
izharhaq

OT: Rubber bush (Poekilocerus pictus)

izharhaq
13 years ago

Before going to work I was watering my plants in the morning today, found this on my Murraya koenigii, so colorful... it's wings are red but are shown only when they fly:

{{gwi:560628}}

{{gwi:560631}}

Comments (16)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

That is just beautiful. Some of the tropical grasshoppers are so pretty with such wonderful colors. Ours are drab and not very attractive, besides being quite destructive. I don't really have any problems with them and see very few but if I had grasshoppers that looked like that I'd encourage them regardless of their impact on the garden.

• Frances Coffill
    13 years ago

Wow he is beautiful! We have large bright green grasshoppers here that are quite striking, but nothing as pretty as that!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Frances

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

He is pretty. We have some HUGE ones around here. I hate killing them, it is almost like squishing a mouse or small rat. They are that big and they go crrrruuuuunnnnch. EWWW

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

He ate all the Curry leaf flowers and flower buds..

• chena
    13 years ago

KILL"EM!
    We have so many this yr. They are all different colors and kinds I hate them!!!

Kylie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

This is the first year I had them at the coast. The little girl behind me, would find them in my yard, and ask me to hand them to her thru the fence, she called them turtle food. They were much smaller than yours. Barbra

• chena
    13 years ago

I guess I need a HERD of Turtles..LOL

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Kylie, I just love that little girl, she loves to garden with me and ask everyday to come over. Her mom is afraid of my 3 dogs, so I have to close them in the house when she comes over. Then we have to hear the wenner dog choir, its horrible. We put in a flowerbed at her house. She keeps forgetting to water, so we start over every spring. Just in time for the Easter Bunny, or should I say the Honeybunny to comes. Barbra

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Am I the only idiot that doesn't mind if certain bugs are eating my plants? lol If I think an insect is pretty I let them do as they please. I might transfer them to a different plant if I see they are eating too much of one.

Barbra that's so sweet that the little girl enjoys gardening with you.

• izharhaq
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Geckos are doing great job here.... with equality, yesterday saw one with a big mantis in mouth...

• chena
    13 years ago

VERY Cool Barbra!
    Karyn ..if I only had a couple of the little %$^%&*'s
    I wouldn't complain but we have millions they are everywhere and they cause a lot of damage.. This morning I found a Western Plains Garter Snake.. HE gets to stay! he eats grasshoppers..LOL

Kylie

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I remember growing up there were tons of grasshoppers. I only see a few over the summer now and they are usually very small. I still live in basically the same area where I grew up. I wonder if there's really a decline or do I just have that many natural predators? I do have loads of frogs, mantids, snakes, etc. It's just to ****ing bad that nothing eats the stinkbugs!!!!!!!! They even had to close our post office because of a stinkbug infestation. Even more disgusting were the stinkbugs that got into the grocery store. They were flying into the salad bar. I knew there was a reason that I never buy anything off a salad bar. Too many hands near the food, sneezing, just nastiness, and now stinkbugs.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Kylie, sounds like you might want to get a few guinea chickens. An adult guinea will eat 2 lbs of grasshoppers a day. I saw this on a special on TV, they showed an farm infested with grasshoppers, they got some guinea chickens, and no longer had a problem. I told one of the instructors that worked with my husband. JD said grasshoppers ate anything he put in his garden. He called his garden the " Green Mile". He said the only thing he hated more than the grasshoppers were guinea chickens. I found something on the Oklahoma gardening forum, that also said they ate 2 lbs of grasshoppers a day. Barbra

• chena
    13 years ago

Barbra the only thing about that is the Coyotes,Hawks and Owls would have a feast ..We use to have Fowl BUT they were plucked off one by one..

Kylie

• karyn1
    13 years ago

The foxes get 'em around here. Some of our neighbors have roosters that crow their fool heads off but they never last long enough to really get on my nerves. lol

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Strangest thing, I noticed our neighbor has chickens running around his yard, I wonder if that is why he got them? They are a chestnut color, and really pretty. They kinda add something to the neighborhood, I like seeing them run around. Barbra

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!