Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Maya

karyn1
13 years ago

I wish I could take credit for growing this one but it's at the local conservatory. This gets fertilized almost daily and receives constant moisture as it's growing alongside a water feature and there's a mister next to it.

{{gwi:561464}}

{{gwi:561465}}

Comments (9)

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Wow, what a beauty! Karyn, if you had told us this was yours, we would have believed it, LOL!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

Maya is a good bloomer for me. I wish some of my doubles were as anxious to bloom.

• chena
    13 years ago

LOL El... I would have believed it too...
    Must be nice to have some place like that to go look around.. That is one Beautiful Brug..

• Frances Coffill
    13 years ago

The variegation is lovely on that plant! It does look like a happy camper! Do they keep them blooming all winter in there?

Frances

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maya's a good bloomer for me as well but the last time I had a flush like that on any of my brugs was 3 years ago. The weather just hasn't cooperated since. The brugs that are outside at Brookside aren't blooming nearly as well as the one in the conservatory. That's the only brug they keep year round. They have others that are displayed temporarily. You should have seen the datura metels they had last season. All were about 4-5 ft tall and covered with hundreds of blooms. There's loads of volunteers as well as the paid employees that tend to these plants constantly. Everything in the conservatory looks great and the grounds are beautiful as well. I'm not sure how many acres the gardens cover but it's part of a much larger park/nature center. It's only about 15 minutes from my house so I go often. Many of my plants originated there. I'm always snatching seeds and have gotten to know some of the people that work there so they'll give me cuttings and extras that they have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brookside Gardens

• chena
    13 years ago

I would have to drive no less than an hour probably a couple just to have the opportunity. I do go when I go to OK tho.. It is so Beautiful.. Haven't been brave enough to snag anything tho..LOL

Kylie

• marquest
    13 years ago

That is beautiful. I wish my Maya looked like that. LOL

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As nice as the local conservatory is the nurseries around here have very slim pickings of tropicals. The selection of hardy plants is good but that's not what I'm interested in. The National Arboretum is pretty close as well, maybe a half hour away. They are one of DH's clients so I'm occasionally able to finagle plants from them. I don't seed snatch there, too many people watching, but if I see something I want I have DH ask them for seeds or cuttings.

• kasha77
    13 years ago

OOO LA LA! Wow- what a brug! Fertilize every day? Man that takes discipline! Thanks for sharing Karyn, she's a beauty!
    kasha77