Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Like Watching Grass Grow : (

karyn1
13 years ago

The cooler temps might be allowing my buds to hold but it's also slowing them down so much that it's like watching grass grow! Not only that but they aren't putting on any color. I have buds that emerged from the calyx well over a week ago and they still haven't begun to unfurl and the ones that have aren't coloring up. It's really frustrating. Day Dreams and NOL are indistinguishable from each other. My bi-color NOID's inner skirt is barely turning peach. Temps are supposed to be in the mid 70's during the day this week. If that doesn't do something I might just chop them down and forget about the flowers. What I thought was going to be a great year for my brugs is just the opposite. I was getting blooms earlier then ever at the start of the season and a couple varieties were blooming so well but the high temps ended up causing bud drop on most and now the cool temps are stalling them almost completely. It went from one extreme to another. Grrrr!!!!!

Comments (12)

• Frances Coffill
    13 years ago

Much the same here! After a very slow start this year my plants are loaded with buds. I was really excited, but now they are just hanging there.

Nothing to do but wait. It is not unusual for brugs to bloom in this area into November. But the waiting is killing me

• figara
    13 years ago

Same here. I was so excited this year to have so many brugs. I was imagining my summer with lots of blooms but I did not have many. I did not have any flushes not even from my Noid Pink who would put a show every year. I've been gone a lot this summer too and the watering and feeding was not constant and I thought this may be the cause but I guess not...or maybe it was. Who knows.
    Now the buds grow slow and take forever to open but I am not going to chop them down. I am to anxious and excited to see them for the first time. Even if the color is not the true color at least I get an idea what kind of bloom they have.For some of them I've been waiting a year to see them bloom.

Pat

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

This was my first year with brugs after over 10 years ago when I first tried them. I was given some 'Frosty pink' and some unk yellow cuttings. I didn't get any blooms on the unk yellow and only one of my 'Frosty pinks' bloomed.
    I had blooms on the 'Frosty Pink' in September and they were fully colored. Now, it is in full bloom again but I have had the same problem. The flowers are a pale yellowish pink now. I do have one bud left (out of the 10 that I started with.).
    Andrew

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Karyn
    I had the same problem with more than just a few, NN had dropped buds for awhile, then it cooled down, the Buds were
    holding, then we had that Frost warning so I never saw it Bloom, so I really know what you're saying, I hope you get color this coming week
    Elizabeth

• kasha77
    13 years ago

It's a bitter sweet time of the year- the cooler temps caused so many to bloom, and the cold nights have caused some like Day Dreams to lose their buds. I was so excited this fall to see many nicely shaped buds on Harrenhausen Garten, (first year from a cutting!) then the other day I went out, and the buds were all laying on the ground! GRR! And they say that that one hardly ever blooms. Well, maybe next year.
    kasha77

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Well I hope the cold weather holds out a little longer so you can see them bloom.

I'm waiting on my first double to bloom and it is like watching grass grow.

• mantorvillain
    13 years ago

I delayed as long as I could and have to admit we had an unusually mild early autumn but everything is now in the basement or stripped except for the buds and in a south window to see if I can salvage blossoms....and so far its working! Peaches n Cream is blooming most of the blossoms it was loaded with...light yellow, OK scent. For some reason I was thinking/hoping this one eventually turned pink...have to look it up (but still love it for the foliage if nothing else). New Orleans Lady is gradually opening, coloring and perfuming the house. She's living up to all the 'raves' people have made on her here.
    Island Girl opened yesterday and quickly darkened...much more quickly than when outside. Flirtation is turning out to be a very nice pink w pleasing fragrance. All these are from cutting trades made last fall and grown over the winter under lights.
    White Cloud and Frosty Pink both have big fat buds which seem to be hanging on but seem very comfortable with the 'status quo'. I've brought stripped plants in before but they always seemed to drop the buds before blooming. Dunno what's different but I'm happy to at least get to see a few blossoms.
    Will

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Will P&C starts out cream and turns peach, not pink but it's a beautiful brug. My problem is that the smell of brugs blooming in an enclosed space makes me gag. I can't stand it so I normally don't take them in to finish blooming. Even if I put them in the garage I can still smell them but I love their fragrance outside.

• chena
    13 years ago

We are actually having a Fall this yr.. Something New and Exciting..LOL Everything has slowed but still putting on blooms..I have a Versacolor Wildform that has dropped some buds but everyone else is lovin it..

• dirtygardener73
    13 years ago

I did not get one bloom this summer due to extremely high temps. My daturas even refused to bloom! I'm repotting a couple and praying for blooms this winter. One year, I didn't get blooms until January! I just hope we don't get another freak freeze this year, or I will never see a bloom.

• lovetogrowflowers
    13 years ago

Same here. Very frustrated. Hardly no blooms. One brug put out just a few blooms. The other two nothing. Now they're all wanting to bloom. Loaded with buds. See my post below. But 70's this week, with lows in the 40's and one night even 36 degrees. I'll probably just give up soon. :(

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Two of my brugs are inside with buds which I am hoping will open. The pink one did not set buds until very late fall. I went out at 1:30 a.m. one day to dig it up and put it in the garage as frost was expected. Now that it is inside the flowers are starting to descend.

The yellow one is on it's second flush and full of buds.

'Frosty Pink' was in a pot all summer and had a small number of blooms several times. Now it has been stripped and put in the basement for winter dormancy.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz