Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT-Carport canopy?

Posted by kasha77 7 (kathysuleski@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 9:24

I can't remember who it was that I spoke to- she mentioned that she bought a carport canopy and turned it into a greenhouse and it worked just fine! We need to find one of these ans use it as a cover for my 10' x 24' greenhouse from Harbor freight- (which is terrible at holding heat at all! :( If that person could contact me here or by my email, I'd greatly appreciate it or I'm not going to be using my GH this winter!
Any other ideas for covering/enclosing a GH to keep heat from escaping? (economical please!)
Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT-Carport canopy?

We used weather stripping around the panels during installation. After a few years with some battering wind storms a few drafts did develop, even with the weather stripping. We found great way to seal it by accident. Bruce wanted a way to make sure that snow wouldn't accumulate on top so he took heavy gauge hoop house plastic and literally wrapped the GH. Not only did that allow the snow to slide right off but it sealed up all the drafts that had developed. He secured it with bunji cords and it held just fine throughout the winter. It sounds like the same idea as the carport cover. I'd think the plastic is much less expensive but it's not very attractive.

o

I am going to buy bales of straw and stack two high all around my greenhouse for in the spring. Last year was a killer with all the propane that I had to use and then I ran out once and almost lost all of my plants. I will be starting it up the first of March. It may sound kind of makeshift but I have seen others do it so it probably helps.
The clear sheet plastic (visqueen)sounds good also. I may do that, too. They have it at Home Depot.
Bill

o

Good Luck with the green houses guys & gals. I've got cuttings scattered through out the house LoL Hopefully DH gets tired of them and gets me a green house hehe!

~Tina

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 31, 11 at 16:13

get the 6mm...

o

I made ours out of one of those but then reinforced with wood and installed windows and used hardi board on the walls. The plastic disintegrated every year and it got too aggrevating to constantly replace. I still have it on the doors though. You could get some cheap tarps and duct tape them together and wrap it. My tarp over the oversized door in the back lasted 3 years. Get some expanding foam and fill any cracks that you can feel air from on a windy day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here