Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrie22

Single white that will bloom in the heat

corrie22
13 years ago

Guys, I have 'Charles Grimaldi' and it seems to not need as cool nights to bloom. It will bloom off and on all summer.

Do any of you guys know of a single white that might bloom for us down here in the summer? zone 11 Florida Keys

Thanks to all

Corrie

Comments (12)

• chena
    13 years ago

Temple Goddess is an awesome white and loves the heat!!

Kylie

{{gwi:563520}}

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kylie!

Can you tell me a little about it?
    Gets big?
    Stays smaller?
    Smells a lot?
    A little?
    Takes full sun all day?
    Afternoon shade?

My CG grows fast but doesn't smell much.

Corrie

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

White suavs do well in the heat. I also have the temple goddess and it did good too.

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sultry, thank you

I'm new to this and don't know the lingo.
    What is "suave"?

I tried looking up as many as I could on the internet last night.
    Right now, I sorta leaning towards "cypress gardens".
    From what I read, it can be trained smaller, blooms at a small size, and does great in pots.

I have a spot on a top shelf in the shade house where I might be able to train it to hang down.

Tell me what you guys think?

Corrie

• chena
    13 years ago

Corrie TG stays medium height 4~5' and blooms repeatedly. It bloomed in the house but I don't recall it being over whelming like a lot of them are..

Kylie

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kylie, I'm going to try that one too.

I have room for several in the shade house. I know, there's no such thing as room for only one plant. Can't be done.

I just found "suaveolens", now I know that word at least. I read that it's in the parentage of CG, and gives CG more heat tolerance.

Now I don't know what names to look for that have suav in them. LOL

I'm learning

And I need to find someone with rooted cuttings of Temple Goddess and Cypress Gardens, and a couple of other whites that I can play with.

It's fun learning about new plants! and our weather has finally cooled off and I have the yard bug again!

Thank you all, you're great
    Corrie

• corrie22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm just putting this on here so I don't forget. ;-)

Betty Marshall

• rialira
    13 years ago

nice choice! I've got a huge temple goddess that I'll be cutting down in a few weeks that I can send you some good cuttings of. she's one of my favorites, I love the perfectly reflexed tendrils on every bloom and lovely light citrus fragrance, and I think she's the heaviest and most reliable bloomer I've got, too. so I love sharing her :)

I'd need reimbursement for postage though as I just had to pay a $400 delinquent electric bill that was dumped on me by someone who simply didn't feel like paying anymore, a week after my boy was in a serious car accident that totaled the 88 accord that we share, and I don't even have a job right now. great times, heh.

also let me know if you're searching for any other brugs, I have maybe a dozen and a half that I'll be cutting back. you can email me at tehriaz@gmail_DOT_com.

Ria

13 years ago

I just thought of another one that does fantastic in the heat. Antique Lace. It has tons of petite bell like flowers with a nice fragrance. The white flowers fade a little with a slight beige tint thus the name Antique White. The hawk moths love this one.
    The antique lace is in the front on the left in this photo.
    {{gwi:493175}}

• chena
    13 years ago

I love the shape of Antique Lace!!!

13 years ago

Thanks, me too. It is really a short petite flower. It looks long in the pic for some reason.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Great looking brugs Lenette!