Original Author
    10 years ago

That Last Pic is a Plant My Bestest Bud, Gave me
    I Love it
    Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Change of Seasons, I have a Love Hate feeling about going in to the cold months, but it does get us some Rest, Esp. for those of us who dig & Pot, then Lug them to our Basement's
    Hope you enjoy the Pic's

Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's my Peaches & Creme
    in the Basement, in a Huge Pot

Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Look what I found at a Yard sale

Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the Female, they are such good Company, while I am Gardening

Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A Rose by any other name would smell so sweet

Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some New Pic's now this is a Datura, look how thick the Stem is
    This is after we pulled them up, they're in my Garage.
    The Seed Pod is starting to pop open

Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one of my Last Blooming Brugs, it has been Dug up, transplanted, but still is looking Good

Elizabeth

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

You have been busy Elizabeth; your brugs and other plants are beautiful! Are those your dogs or the neighbor's? I've tried to get on here like I used to, but seems I keep running out of time. I feel like I had more time when I worked then after I retired, LOL! Good to see a couple other familiar names posting.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

Love the pups! They are supervising lol.

Elizabeth, no big hurry on the trade. I don't even usually start cutting or putting the ones with seed pods in the gh until mid December here lol. It usually freezes hard anywhere from mid to late Dec. Once in a while we get a surprise freeze in mid Nov but then it bounces back up in the 70-80's again.
    I agree on the shipping with one cutting being a waste lol. I need to get a HAVE list together. Gosh there is so much not sure where to start lol. I turned into a serious plant horder since I moved to FL. I also have plummies that are gonna need trimming as they have now grown higher than the greenhouse mid section which is 10 ft grrr.

A new seedling just started blooming. It has one small pink single flower. Some of the other buds look really super fat so I opened one and its a tiny triple. One of the parents is Rosalla who I have had several years and is known to throw doubles and singles (least in my yard). So I'm hoping it isn't just the weather lol- we'll see.

I spent a good part of the day hauling compost (from the bunny and chicken compost bins) to my garden and flower beds. So glad for the hand truck or I would be in serious pain haha. The chickens all chased around behind me and spread it all out for me, scratching around clucking.

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eloise
    I am so Glad to see you posting, I have been busy, but I am almost done, Yippee, Thank you for the Nice Comments.
    the Thing is I have a wonderful DD, she has been so much Help
    I couldn't have did all this without her. it's really Cute, when she needs extra Money, she ask if I have a Job for her.
    the Dogs are my neighbor's but I am their Person

Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SJN
    I know what you're saying, about only sending one thing, put together your wish list, I'll see what I have, I am really looking for Prickly Pear Cacti.
    do the Plummies root easy? I have never taken Clipping from mine, I bet yours is something, wow as tall as your GH?

Elizabeth

10 years ago

Hi Eloise, good to see your post! :D

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well
    I have been working in the Woman Cave, of course my Basement GH, after getting rid of about 200 Flower Pots
    there's a lot more room for plants, also you can see my Really Neat Sink, it took 2 strong men to take it down there
    Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's Santa Rosa, Blooming

Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is Hazelnut Buttercup, Blooming Again

Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is A sign I dearly Love, my Bestest Bud made for me, I love it.

Elizabeth

10 years ago

I like your sign :) That seedling I have that bloomed, the single pink flower fell off and the second blossom opened and its a small orange triple! A 3 rd bloom opened and it is also a small orange triple but really tiny.
    The 3rd skirt on these are stuck up inside grrr. I hope that changes. It must of been the wonky weather that the first bloom was pink...so weird!

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's one, it's a Cross, it is Blooming in the Kitchen, after being Dug up & Potted.
    I love the color of the Bloom, Pink but still Pretty, I also have Santa Rosa Blooming in the Basement, They are still Fragrant

Elizabeth

10 years ago

Here's a few that are blooming now.
    Ila Marie (she really puts on a show & very reliable bloomer. She is a hot mama because she makes pods very easily lol.
    {{gwi:563868}}

Strawberries and Cream oldie but goody
    {{gwi:563869}}

That crazy seedling I was posting about. Look at all the bugs!!! It has a strong fragrance but it is a sweet fragrance--more honeyed than lemony.
    {{gwi:563870}}

Another seedling I am watching. It is very often a triple but the 3rd skirt isn't dropping much at all so far. Maybe it will straighten out after it cools off a little more. It has had either buds or flowers on it since it first started blooming.
    {{gwi:563871}}

Freckles without flowers lol. Stupid rooster trying to get in the pic!
    {{gwi:563872}}

Nycanthes arbor trystis. A night blooming tree. Awesome fragrance. It is about 9 ft tall now and loaded down with buds. The flowers fall off in the morning when the sunlight touches them. There is a cool story/legend that goes along with this plant.
    {{gwi:563873}}

{{gwi:563874}}

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SJN
    you've been holding out, Look at you, I'll bet the Fragrance is Fantastic in your Yard, I Love it, I know you're really Busy with all that going on, the Cross that you're watching is a Keeper for sure.
    Hey, our Own Sweet Edna, has her last of the season Sale going on right now, Great price's, you can reach her through Facebook
    Elizabeth

10 years ago

Hi thanks. I should be fertilizing a lot more than I have been, I'm surprised they are doing so well. They are just getting going here. Most are not blooming yet but its starting to look like a jungle now. I thought I got some pics of Wretched Mess which just started blooming but now I can't find them lol. I will get some more tomorrow.

Here is Miss Emily McKenzie. She is about 10 ft by 10 ft this year and half her branches are dragging on the ground. I took 2 different pics of her and still couldn't get her all in lol.
    {{gwi:563875}}
    {{gwi:563876}}

I don't know about you but to me, this just looks wrong!!!
    Aristolochia gigantea 'brasiliensis'
    I can't say all that so I just call it the Pervo vine lol.
    That is an Miss Emily bloom next to it that is 22 inches so you can see how large this bizzare flower is.
    {{gwi:563877}}

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SJN
    I used to have MEM, it was the Best, it gets Huge here also, That Flower is Amazing, I love the size of it. I am so Glad you're sharing your Beauty's with us.
    Girl do you grow Cherimoya's, I saw one at the Grocery store, it was so unusual, I had to Buy it, I thought $5.00 for a small melon type Fruit was a little high.
    But when I peeled it, shared it with my Hubby, it was Great, Taste like Custard. so I had to have some seeds, so I traded for them.
    The seeds from the one we ate, are growing Nicely in the pot with my Plummie
    Elizabeth

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

What a treat to come in here and see all these beautiful photos. E - I love that sink and your sign! L - All beautiful plants esp. that apricot seedling!

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eloise
    what a nice thing to say, I am so glad you're posting, I love that sink also, it took 2 strong men to take it down there
    Girl I had a time today, I have this Agave in a 40 gal. pot, well with no one around to help me I wrapped it in a Thick Blanket
    to take it down there, what fun that was, it's suppose to snow
    in the morning, I sure hope they're wrong about that
    Elizabeth

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Elizabeth, you be careful. We can be strong, but one wrong move and there goes our back. The two cuttings I got from you a while back are doing well. Next season I will plant one in the ground and one in a larger pot and see how they do. Thanks.

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eloise
    that's so Sweet, I learned a long time ago, to not lift with your Back, use your legs, that Huge Agave, I just let it ride down the steps. I am now almost all Clutter Free. My oldest DD is a God send, we worked 4 hrs in the Garage today, I didn't realize How Big my Garage was, now you can actually Park a Car in there
    I am a little bit Tired, but it's a Good Tired.
    I am so Glad your Brugs are doing well, if there's any others that you would like just LMK
    Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a Wonderful Visit I have with my Bestest Bud
    on the way home it started snowing like a Blizzard, then when we reached the Ohio line it stopped.
    Thank you so much Karen for the warm Welcome to your Home
    Roger, was so Happy he came with me.
    Now to plant the wonderful Plants you Gave me.
    Love you
    Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the Huge Agave, that I pulled down to the Basement, for awhile I thought it was going to pull me but I pulled it instead

Elizabeth

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Elizabeth, that is a huge agave! Has it bloomed for you? I too know not to lift with my back, but sometimes I do and suffer later :-( Let's see, well my MM brug is still blooming strong, as is a noid yellow-gold with great scent. The yellow-gold is planted in the yard area for my chickens and my neighbor is the one that thoroughly enjoys the blooms and scent.

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eloise
    I bet your neighbor's do I wish I could have Chickens, City won't allow it, I have never seen a Bloom on that Agave, would you like a small one of it, I have to take all the Pups off of it.
    to have more plants to trade.
    Have you ever tried a Cherimoya, you can only get them in Season. our local Grocery had one $4.99 a pound, I cut it in half so Hubby could have his half, Man was I surprized, it taste like custard, so I soaked the seed, they are growing in my Plummie pot
    Elizabeth

10 years ago

I have tried cherimoyas they are good! I don't have a cherimoya tree I do have a small Longan tree (relative of Lychee) that has fruit on it right now. We already picked most of them lol. They have a gelatin like texture and a large black seed in the center so they are aka Dragon Eye fruits. They taste just like juicy fruit to dh and I.

Here is a pic of a fruit on the tree this morning
    {{gwi:563878}}

I also have small starfruit tree that grows sweet fruit. Our turkey hens love it so I have to try and get it before they do.
    I just started a few Jackfruit seeds that I got from the farmer's market here earlier this summer. Last year they had rambutan fruit. I need to go see if they have them again so I can get some seeds.

Here is a pic of a blue agave (tequilla agave). It is way bigger now and has some pups in with it.
    {{gwi:563879}}

This is a night blooming cereus type cactus that is very fragrant and seems to survive here in the tropics pretty good. Takes freezing with light cover.
    Harissa Jusberti (sp)
    {{gwi:563880}}

That crazy white brug seedling of mine decided that it was going to bloom peachy last night...
    {{gwi:563881}}

Here is the orange seedling this morning. Looking more yellow now.
    {{gwi:563882}}

OK this is another seedling that is a very prolific super tiny single pink. Just for fun, I put a Miss Emily bloom next to it to show how little it is lol.
    {{gwi:563883}}

Wretched Mess- It rained and turned this bloom kinda brown grrr.
    {{gwi:563885}}

Yesterday I had to cut a bunch of my strictocardia (Hawiian Bell Vine) down. It, along with the blue sky vine were smothering my poor Ruby Glow passiflora, that I stupidly put between them. I stuck a bunch of cuttings and will prob do some more because the H. bell vine found a crack in the top of the greenhouse and grew through it and is going wild in there lol.
    {{gwi:563887}}

Sky Vine
    {{gwi:563888}}

Ruby Glow passiflora
    {{gwi:563889}}

• byrd4460
    10 years ago

Here are a few of my Hibiscus blooming.
    Cb
    {{gwi:563890}}{{gwi:563891}}
    {{gwi:563892}}{{gwi:563893}}

• byrd4460
    10 years ago

The Hibiscus are
    Sun Shower
    Lemon Life
    Royal Court.
    Cb

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SJS
    WOW, what a Treat, Thank you for posting all your Beauty's
    Talk about eye candy, I know the Fragrance there must be amazing

Elizabeth

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CB
    I would Love to tour your Gardens, I would not want to Leave
    Thank you for sharing your amazing Plants with us
    I am so Glad you're Posting again

Elizabeth

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Elizabeth, thanks for the offer, but will pass. I have tried cherimoya and some of the fruits Lenette grows or mentioned. I belong to the Calif. Rare Fruit Growers and lots of members grow very exotic plants and bring fruits to the meetings. Can you believe my family has a cherimoya tree, but they aren't into gardening or tasting? I've only seen one fruit, but the squirrels beat me to it.

Love the color of the Logan tree trunk/stems! The Hawaii Bell Vine and p. Ruby Glow are amazing! I visited this guy from our gardening group and he had this beautiful p. RG growing over an arbor -- it was full of blooms.

CB, fantastic hibiscus! I especially like the first one, Sun Shower.

Elizabeth, I think you should start 'Time to Get this Forum Lively Again 2'!!!

10 years ago

CB I love your tropical hibiscus!! I have some too but they aren't blooming right now. I have some pics of them when they were blooming somewhere. I need to re-pot all mine. I can't leave them in the ground here because we can sometimes freeze hard in the winter.

Eloise: That nice dark mahogany tree bark is new growth on a Starfruit tree that is in a pot right next to the Longan tree. That Longan branch is stretching across the Starfruit. Longan bark is just a plain ole brown lol.
    Glad to see you still have your chickens. I remember your stories about your "Chicky" favorite hen you used to have.
    Can you grow Beautyberry bushes there? I have them all over the place here and the chickens and turkey love to eat the berries. They chase me around so I will pick off the higher berries and throw them down for them.

I found a huge branch of Double Rangoon Creeper that got into the gh and is blooming way up in the top of a tree in there. It also rooted itself into the soil in a few spots. Now I know why they are called 'Creepers' lol. At least it smells wonderful in there now.

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

Very lovely pics ALL...I haven't even tried to post yet after
    all of these years LOL!! Your plants are all so beautiful. I'm
    obsessed with gardening also.....so rewarding and
    refreshing.
    Elizabeth, thanks for the feed back. My babies are making
    little leaves. Hoping that yours are doing well also.
    Night temps are in the 40's all week.....I left a few unstripped that had tons of buds. I can pull them out and
    enjoy them for a few more days.Makes my day!!

Margaret

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Margaret
    I am so Glad yours are taking off for you, we have had our first killing Frost, Thank Goodness all mine are in the Basement. the poor castor Beans, Look like cooked Spinach, but up close to the House, the Fig Tree has all it's Beautiful Leaves

Elizabeth

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Being new to brugs I really loved seeing all the photos above. Are you all still growing brugs?

There's a few newbies on the forum; some with questions. Maybe some of you could pop in, answer some questions, show us your plants and flowers, and revive this forum once again ... :-)

• Sweetheart2015( Washington, DC)
    5 years ago

Love brugmansia. I used to grow many variety but when we move around due to hubbys work I lost all of it. I might grow few of them in the pot agai. Been looking @ eBay for variety..

• Joel Morris
    5 years ago

Please excuse me if I break any rules. I've not been in GardenWeb for several years. The last year I was here, I was sick most of the time, but I think I got all my trades out. Since then, I've had several cases of renal failure with amnesia during one of the bouts. It's been 2.5 years now and I still have trouble remembering things. And BOY! has this website changed! It was just GardenWeb the last time I was one to do some trading. Anyway, the reason I'm posting on this comment is do any of you trade for postage or seeds? I don't have my seed list updated yet {do we still have those?} but I'll get too it asap. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, please be honest but if you do trade for postage or seeds, let me know. I had several beautiful brugs that some generous trader sent me the cuttings in the fall with instructions how to root them over the winter. But our weather here in the Upstate of SC is so unpredictable that after I planted them outside, they would come up late and never have time to bloom. If I get more, I'm gonna keep them in pots. I'm doing all my gardening in pots this year. Too dangerous for me to go out in the years. Anyway hello to everyone.

• carrie751
    5 years ago

Joel, so good you feel like gardening again. I can no longer mail out cuttings due to health problems, but I am sure someone will respond to your request. I live in North Texas and I have a number of brugs inground. I simply cut them back to the ground in November (or before the first freeze), mulch heavily and they come back for me and bloom beautifully. I do fertilize a lot (always add tomato fertilizer) as they are heavy feeders. I wish you well and know that someone will read this and offer cuttings to you. Take care.

• Joel Morris
    5 years ago

Thanks Carrie for writing. As you can see in my writing, I get my words sort of turned around but I think people can still read my letters. I know how it is to not to be able to mail out cuttings. People who've never done it have no idea how much work is involved. My godson helped me a lot but it soon got to the point where I couldn't depend on him. One of his "friends" starting bad mouthing me for not paying David a regular salary and she talked him into stopping. But then again I did buy him a car and I did slip him an occasional $100. His friend had a 3 y/o son and she just wanted a babysitter. And David didn't like the child. Anyway, I'll shut up now. As you can see, I'm very long winded as we say here in the Southeast. By the way, someone did offer me a cutting so you were correct in that matter. May you have a blessed week. Joel

• carrie751
    5 years ago

I had a friend who offered to mail cuttings to another friend in San Antonio. This was the only time I have had help, and it was a good feeling to know I was able to share again. She is busy with her own garden though, so cannot ask her to help at the present time. Some of my brugs are blooming now and others won't start until next month. I love it when I have a lot of blooms at one time.

• Weirwood (SW TN /7b)
    5 years ago

Not sure of the variety, but this is first year blooms.

• carrie751
    5 years ago

Those are beautiful...................congratulations !!!

• Joel Morris
    5 years ago

Well Carrie, if I did get a response like I said in my last response to you, I can't remember who it is (amnesia). I've looked back through the mail and can't find anything. Well, it's October here in the Upstate of SC and the temp is starting to drop a little so maybe its best that I can't remember. I hope you have a great winter. I'm trying to get some Spring Bulbs ready to plant but I have to plant them in a place where I can sit and get up by myself. Never know how my legs are going to be when I wake up in each morning, may be able to walk, may be just able to hobble around until I get all loosened up. I really enjoyed writing to you and I pray that your plant to great. The pic is of my daughter and myself. Its a few years old. She didn't take up my interest in gardening. She's a nurse and I'm so proud of her because we feel like this is a calling of God and she is a wonderful young woman. Now she does have a special relationship with wild animals. When she was small, I was always taking wild animals away from her and letting them go but it was too late by then, it wasn't wild anymore. She'd go out on the porch and yell BABIES and chameleons, field mice and others would come running from everywhere and see who could get to her first. We called her Ellie Mae! ok, I'm getting in bed now. Bye.

Joel Morris

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?