Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

What variegated foliage brug produces a double bloom?

karyn1
12 years ago

I found an unusual brug this morning. It was in my "junk pile" which is just a bunch of plants that I never got around to doing anything with after taking them out for the summer. They get a minimum of care, mainly watering but I do occasionally look thru them. I noticed a bud on what I assumed to be Maya and upon closer inspection see that it's a double. The plant is in pretty bad shape (as yo can see) with very little foliage except for the tops of the main stems. I would remember buying a variegated double and don't even know where it would be available. Could the stress of minimal care cause it or maybe it was originally a double that sent up a variegated sport? It's not tagged and like I said these plants get very minimal care or attention. I hope the bud holds!

{{gwi:564396}}

{{gwi:564397}}

Comments (17)

• crocuscottage
    12 years ago

Way cool! My variegated brug (do not know the variety) dropped all but one bud, apricot color in the end.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Probably Maya or Sunset which are actually the same. Snowbank is a really late bloomer for me and probably won't bloom until Nov/Dec. I'll keep that one in the greenhouse for a couple months. If it doesn't bloom by then it goes into dormant storage. Caren sent me a Miner's Claim that I hope I can get to bloom next season. I had one a while back but was never able to get it to flower. I have no idea what the one in this post is. I'm leaning towards a variegated sport that I just hadn't noticed before.

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Karyn, send that little orphan to me - I love red-headed step children!

• chena
    12 years ago

Very interesting! Can't wait to see what color it will be...I can ask at BGI.. Edna is a Variegated Junkie.. Maybe she would have some input..

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's a pinkish/peach double bloom. If it's still alive I'll get a pic. Something just isn't right about this but I can't figure what it is.

• plantlover49
    12 years ago

Karyn
    sounds like a keeper to me, How neat is that, a double Bloom
    on a Varigated Brug, I have never seen one either
    Congratulations, Hope the Bloom holds for you

Elizabeth

• chena
    12 years ago

There is a V Dbl out there .. still searching for the name.. Mario should know waiting to hear back.. but it sounds more like a sport you need to keep that one going!!! VERY COOL!!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My camera didn't cooperate yesterday. I'll try again today. The bloom is pretty much spent but you can see the color and the multiple skirts. I'm going to tag the branch so I know which it was next spring. I'd better do it today or I'll forget. I'm the absolute worst about labeling my plants.

• vaskirt
    12 years ago

Karyn you know you can send it to me and I'll give it a good home !LOL LOL LOL How are you ? Haven't talked to you in some time.

The variegated doubles are:
    Angel's Flight ( green on green, with double orange bloom)
    Roberto ( white/green with a double yellow bloom)
    Wupperstolz ( white/cream with a double pink bloom)

That's the only double variegates that come to mind... I'd love to see a picture of the foliage and the bloom !

Edna

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

What a find in your "junk pile" Karyn, congrats! Hey, I thought your camera was fairly new?!!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Edna. Something's screwed up with my computer or camera. My camera is fairly new. I think it's the computer. DH installed a new anti-virus program and I've been having issues ever since. Everything looks like it's loading fine but when I go to view what has uploaded there's nothing in my windows where the pics are stored. DH is going to have to take a look at it. It's pissing me off.

The foliage looks like Maya, not really heavily variegated (see pic in OP) and the bloom ended up being a light pink. There's multiple stems coming from below the soil and the ones that have any foliage left are variegated. I know for a fact that I haven't bought or traded for any variegated doubles so I'm confused as to what's going on. You are probably the only one I would even get a plant like that from. lol

Eloise I've found a few nice brugs and other plants in the junk pile. I'm waiting for another double to color up so I can figure out what it might be. I'd even tossed a Snowbank into the pile.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Sounds beautiful Karyn, good luck figuring out what these 'junk pile' pretties are. LoL

~Tina

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Good for you Karyn. Perhaps next season we will find out what other beauties you had in your junk pile.

• msmorningsong
    12 years ago

So pray tell Karyn, did you move her out of the junk pile???
    I am now dying to hear what happens with this brug next spring and what happens.
    And....
    Hi Edna!!!! (kisses and hugs) :)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

She's out of the junk pile and in the new garage junk pile with a bunch of others. lol No seriously that's where I keep some of my dormant brugs. Who says that a garage is for cars? Something is just fishy with this plant. I might unpot her and see if there's actually more then one plant in the pot. I can't believe I'd be lucky enough to get a double variegated foliage sport.

• chena
    12 years ago

You treat that baby with love girl...!!!! ;0)

Kylie

• msmorningsong
    12 years ago

Karyn, as many brugs as you grow, that wouldn't surprise me in the least. I mean, it's an odds game, and with that many grown through the years, whose to say it's not your turn? ;)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!