Return to the Brugmansia Forum

o
Bucket-o-Brugs

Posted by Georgia_on_my_mind 8 WC Ga (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 04 at 12:32

Started cutting down a few today that will not have time to bloom again before frost. Told Kneecop I would share my setup, so here goes.

I'm using an 18 gallon Rubbermaid container (found on curb)
2 10 inch airstones
one small aquairum airpump

I cut a small hole near the top of the container to run the tubing through, and glued the suction cups inside the container with nail glue (like for fake nails, it dries in seconds) I then attached the airstones to the suction cups and ran tubing from each of them to the "tee". Then a single piece of tubing from the "tee" to the airpump. This way you can run 2 stones off of one pump/

close up of the "tee"

outside w/pump

added about 4 inches of water and plugged in the pump

I attached lengths of bamboo to the bottoms of the cuttings to elevate them about a half an inch off the bottom of the container (to keep them from getting mushy)
Brug stilts.

A shot of the inside

The beginnings of a jungle

Hope this is clear, if not ask away. Georgia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bucket-o-Brugs

Looks good to me! Never tried using the airstones, myself, but the theory is sound. Using the bamboo is a nice touch. Not sure if that's why they gey mushy though. In my experience some do and some don't. Tends to vary between cultivars too.

Good luck!

o

very slick!

o

Boy you're inventive! I'm new to this whole process, is this the recommended way to go with brugs for the winter? And will you have the pump going all winter or will it cycle on and off?

o

Tommysmommy, several people have overwintered their large trees just by cutting them off at the ground and sticking them in a bucket full of water. I'm trying it this way because I believe the extra oxygen won't hurt and it will help keep the water fresh. I plan to keep the airpump going 24/7. Georgia

Joe, you're right about it depending on cultivar, just thought it wouldn't hurt. LOL

o

Tee-hee, brug stilts! This looks like a great space saver too! A lot better than a bunch of pots taking up space and not have to worry about the little buggers that take up residence in the soil over winter.

This looks like a great topic to add to the FAQs.

Rebecca

o

• Posted by kneecop 7Atlanta Intown (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 19, 04 at 21:34

Wow! Fancy! Don't think I want to start cutting yet though ; )
Great pics though!

o

That is great Georgia, How long do they last in there? Some people are so smart and creative. U R 1 of them... Thanks for sharing. Kin

o

Thanks Kneecop ;-) Kin, I'm planning on keeping them in this setup until February when I can start potting them up. My last frost date is mid March. Most of my Brugs were in the ground this year the first week of March. I added a small aquarium heater yesterday. Will add a pic shortly. This is similar to a cloning method I read about on another GW forum, (only on a larger scale) . Very interesting if you have a chance to read it. Georgia

Here is a link that might be useful: Try this very effective propogating method

o

Wow--very creative. Thanks for sharing your excellent method. :)

Leona

o

Thanks for the great idea. I didn't need such a large bucket so I got a retangular mop bucket and but just one airstone in it. I also glued a thick piece of styrofoam on the bottom so I can stick the bamboo into that to hold the brugs. I'm new and I don't know if you said in an earlier post but how often do you have to change the water?

o

Nancy, I'm hoping with this set-up "not" to have to change the water. I know I'll have to add some from time to time. Welcome to the forum ;-) Georgia

o

Brilliant! I demand that you kiss your mirror right now! :-)

Thanks for sharing this great idea!

Rho

o

LOL Rho!
A small update.

Added a small aquarium heater in one corner, trying to keep it around 70 degrees.

Day three, nubbies

o
RE: Bucket-o-Brugs (small cuttings)

Adding to the experiment, I recieved some new unrooted cuttings this morning. I cut some slits in 10oz dixie cups and filled them with pea gravel. The clear plastic thing is a strawberry basket. I removed the lid to make 2 pieces to sit the cups into.

Inserted cuttings and labels and placed in bucket.

(I rooted some cuttings this way in a small pond last year)

The white thing floating in the bucket is a "collar" I made out of a styrofoam plate. This is a double cutting, and I've always had a hard time rooting them. It is gently floating directly over the airstone. We'll see if it works.

In comparison, here are some cuttings I placed in a bucket of water outside the day I cut the big Brugs down.

Georgia

o

Cuttings after 1 day

o

Georgia, Great pics! Thanks Joelle

o

Georgia, That's a great idea with the pea gravel in the cups. A friend and I have been trying to figure out a way to secure the cuttings so that they don't flop over - - and this thread came just in time.

o

Wow! This thread is totally awesome! Georgia, I thank you for sharing this method. I did go to that site you talked about and am so excited to try this.

I've succeeded in rooting some cuttings from my brug in plain water in a vase, although many of them got mushy and died before they ever got roots. I've only had small cutting, so I wouldn't need to use such a large setup, but I'll modify it on a smaller scale.

I hope you keep us posted as the months go by as to how well your cuttings do with this method.

GG Ruth

o

Nice setup,

i think you'll find after awhile those suction cups will eventually lose their gripping power and the tubes will constantly keep on floating up to the surface. I use those 6" long heavy aquarium air stone, their own weight alone keeps them in place and on the bottom.

cheers...

o

Bruggy, I purchased several of those last week just in case. Thanks, and as always, yours are awesome. Georgia

o

Just an update. Here are the cuttings I placed in the bucket on Oct 22 (many were tip cuttings)

Some of the larger trunks

The water is staying clear so far. I am keeping it at 72 degrees right now. Have had to add water a couple of times. Georgia

o

I noticed your large cuttings in the bucket where taken BElOW the Y...now thats how I give cuttings to others and take for myself...but I read the cuttings should be above the Y ...so which way is right...to me Ive done both and still get flowers so why allt his stuff about above or below the Y...does it make a diff to you....your set up looks great and will be sitting mine up soon..I have always just brought my huge tubs in and stored them in my garageand they have done fine, but this yr. they are soooooooooo big I don't think me and my husband even with the dollie are going to be abel to handle them...so guess Ill have to take some cuttings in case they freeze completely...Im in zone7 and there is a lady here that has her one in the ground and it comes back ever yr. and gets as tall as her house and full of blooms, its a yellow one and planted on the East side of her house...Ive never never planted one in the ground and left and left it out over winter but guess Ill try that next yr......

o

OK, Georgia, I'm convinced! Now I have to start putting together one of those rigs! It's a very ingenious concept. Thanks.

o

Grannybj, I cut my Brugs off at the ground and left most of the y intact.

The only other cuttings in there are the small ones in the cups, most of which are above the y, or tip cuttings (which I usually have a hard time rooting) Think of the whole trunk as a cutting rather than chopping it up into a bunch of little pieces. Georgia

BTW, I removed the bamboo. It was some I had used out in the garden this summer, and I started seeing some slimy stuff on it, so out it went. I don't think it would be a problem with some that is new or never used.

o
RE: Bucket-o-Brugs Incu-bubbler

Well I'm quickly running out of room in the big tub with cold weather approaching so I made a small bucket for the smaller cuttings. Same basic idea. 3 gallon bucket, 6 inch airstone, small aquarium heater. They really love it in there.

So far I have 29 Brugs in a 4 square foot area. (I'm liking that)

o

Fri, Nov 5, 04 at 22:51

Its funny - that last shot almost looks like some wierd alien plant.

I cut all mine down today! Kind of nice ending to the growing season though...

o

This is a great idea, but aren't you afraid that they will get too many roots before you plant out or pot up in Feb.?

I am taking cuttings tomorrow in my Alabama garden and use a couple of drops of bleach and a dropperful of coloidal silver along with aquarium charcoal to keep everything germ free and the water as fresh as possible. I store my cuttings in a cool, dark, closet till Jan. and then root them.

I think your setup will help a lot of people who are having a difficult time with rooting some of the more difficult varieties. Thanks for sharing. Mary

o

OK, I have a question which takes us back to the starting point of this process. I had my brugs in drilled 5 gal buckets which I dutifully toted down my looong basement steps after cutting them back. Those puppies are heavy. Just cutting off the tops seems more space efficient not to mention my back) in the long run if I keep acquiring these things and I have a feeling thats going to be the case...but I haven't done that and am still a bit nervous. I'm not sure how I'm going to do this with all the cuttings I have now started (your bubbly setup) rooting from trades.
Did you just toss the rootballs or did you keep them and now using the tops you're rooting to develop another plant?
Thaks for clarifying.
Will

o

Will, I grew most of mine in the ground this year. I do have a few in pots that really didn't have time to get very large. Those are inside, dormant. I have 2 nice trees in pots that I didn't want to cut, and those will come inside whole. Right now between the buckets and other cuttings that were already rooted, I have 70 something Brugs in my bedroom. Mine will come back from the ground, so I will end up with double the amount. I don't think that would work in your zone though. Perhaps you could store the pot in one place, and root the trunk in another? It is a real space saver, and that's my biggest problem when winter comes. Very few basements in Georgia, and the attic is way to hot. I also have to save room for my 20+ Plumeria and 11 Adeniums. Good luck whatever you decide. And Mary, no I'm not afraid of having too many roots. If it gets too crowded, I'll simply add another bucket. ;-) Georgia

o

Ok one question I seem to not get do I need to keep these in a dark place? I am in NC and well no basement not sure where I could hide them being as I have a 1 and 3 year old boys. Help I have just been given some cuttings and they have the nubbies but no roots and am I supposed to cut them before I try to root them. Want to do it this way would save room and well just might work. I am desperate want them to be trees!!!

o

Mine are in my bedroom. Not dark, but not really in bright light either. 60 watt bulb in a small lamp. You shouldn't have to cut them, but I may not be understanding your question. You could keep them in the dark or in the light with no problem. Georgia

o

A few updated pics

o

Will you keep these rooting in water all winter long? What about liquid feedings? Have cut mine back and put in buckets. I have a four foot area under the house would it be ok the winter them there? Don't have much space in the house. Really enjoy this site. Plan on having more plants next year and sharing with friends. Thanks for your information.

o

Wow, you're gonna either be adding another tub soon or (grin) have a heckuva time sorting root tangles out. I'm really looking forward to the continuing saga with it only being November! I have a bunch of cuttings 'spidering' in my setup which is a smaller version of yours with an @ 9"X12" plastic container & small airstone. I found I could squash a roll of chicken wire into the container and the cuttings fit right through the holes which keep them upright. Just took a couple of 'casualties' out which had mushed up but I figure 2 out of 14 is pretty good and they're all ones I didn't have but do now through the generosity of the nice folks on the exchange section.
Yahoooo, Will

o
RE: Bucket-o-Brugs (1 Month Update)

Have not lost one yet in this setup, happy to report. Just a couple of pics

The big bucket

The small one

And these are some that had rooted in water and I potted up about 3 weeks ago. Notice how some of them look like they are drying up and turning brown. This has not happened with any that are in water only.

~~~~Georgia~~~~

o

Hi
I have some green cuttings in water now for about 2 weeks
and they all have nubbies, but the tip of one is shrivelling. Should I cut this shrivelled up portion out
or just leave till the roots form ?

o

Just to clarify, the potted cuttings in the 3rd picture are in potting mix with sand on the top 1/2 inch. I use sand as a control against fungus gnats. ~~~~Georgia~~~~

o

Thank you so much for posting this. I am a brug newbie, and some very nice brug experts have sent me several cuttings. I bought several on Ebay, too. I am going to try your method, because your cuttings look absolutely fabulous, and I hope that mine will do as well! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

o

Ok, I am new here..hello everyone....my husband bought me a brug this past summer..I read alittle about these plants and just jumped into trying this and I don't really know what I am doing...I cut it off to the top of the dirt and put the pot it my downstairs laundry room, its sitting under a table with hardly any lighting at all and it only has very teenie small shoots starting...I cut pieces from the rest of the plant and just placed these in water (I did this the 3rd of Oct)..the little nubbies started then the white roots ..then I potted them up...the cuttings taken below the Y's have shoots at least 10 to 12 inches...and the cuttings from above the Y's have shoots from 3 to 6 inches...I don't know why these are different they are all getting the same amount of lighting, some in my dining room window and some in my living room both have a roof over them so its not bright sunlight hitting them...should I have put these cuttings in a dark room also to slow the growth? ... My husband also was wondering about the new shoots if whether you could cut them off now and start more plants? (I have 12 pots and gave a few away) The rate they are growing by the time spring rolls around they will be huge.. I just read about the airstone for the cuttings etc..and about someone putting sand on the soil...these plants seem to be doing well right now but I want to keep them that way till spring..any info on how to do this would be appreciated... should I be doing more for these plants?
Vicki

o

Vicki--Sounds to me as if you've done everything well so far; the difference in growth rates of the above/below the Y cuttings sounds normal, based on my experience. The plants growing from cuttings might not be established well enough, though, to survive being placed in a dark room to slow growth (but I've never tried that with such young plants). And, cuttings taken from these plants that are just becoming established would probably be very difficult to root because the new growth is probably not mature enough; this new growth probably has not started forming lenticels, those little bumps along the surface where roots start. If you want to slow the growth of new shoots on the "mother" plant, move it to a cooler and darker place and water it just enough to keep the root ball from drying out. But if you decide to let the new shoots continue to grow and make a bushy plant, you should move it to a location where it will get more light, and you'll have to water it more frequently.

Brugmansias generally don't start forming Y's and putting on flower buds until they are three to five feet tall (there are exceptions). The reason for rooting large trunks with Y's (as shown in Georgia's pictures) is to get the plants off to a quicker start next spring and have them start flowering sooner. Cuttings taken above the Y's will typically flower sooner, but those new plants also have to attain a "certain" height (depending on the cultivar) before they form Y's and flower. Y 'ing and flowering of cuttings taken from below the Y are also dependent on the plant's reaching a particular height.

So . . . if you would like to have the plants flower sooner and have more flowers over a longer season, you should allow them to continue to grow until they can be gradually acclimated to the outdoors, after threat of freezing temperatures, next spring. If you let the plants continue to grow, you will most likely have to deal with spider mites, aphids, and/or whitefly at some point, and the plants will need to be potted up to larger pots a couple of times. These extra chores are not particularly difficult for relatively small numbers of plants, and if you really are into Brugs, it's worth the effort, in my opinion. Also, in my opinion, the only practical way to keep the new plants healthy AND small is to continually cut back new growth; to keep them healthy and ready to start growing well when they are finally put outside, they should be potted up into larger pots to allow the root systems to grow without becoming potbound. (If you let the plants continue to grow, some of the growth may be mature enough to make additional cuttings by early 2005.) Hope this helps.--houndogman

o
My bubbler...

Hey Georgia! I set me up a smaller version of your setup today. I'm using it exclusively for the greener tip cuttings. Hoping to have better luck with those this way.

It seems that the larger, harder wood roots just fine without the air stones. These were cut on Nov.5th.

o

Looking good Joe! Best of luck, and keep us updated! ;-) Georgia

o

Thanks for the great post, Georgia. You've given me the confidence to do this!

I used a set-up similar to yours, but I put an underground filter on the bottom of the tub, and ran the air through charcoal filters to further avoid the nasty water problem. I knew this old aquarium stuff would come in handy someday! I also covered the setup with coated hogwire, so the trunks stay where I put them.

Laura

o

2 month update ~~~~ sorry it's a little late

Happy to report I still have not lost one cutting in this set-up, I have not changed the water one time. I usually have to add quite a bit of water (probably a gallon to the large one and a half gallon to the small one) every week. I'm sure having the heat on in the house accounts for some of that.

Here's the large bubbler today 12/22/04

And the small one

Everyone of these that I had water rooted and potted up, shriveled up and died.

Luckily they were experimental "extras"

Happy Holidays !!!! ~~~~~~Georgia~~~~~

o

Wed, Dec 22, 04 at 21:52

LOL - can't win em all!

o

What are you going to do with the big ones? Will you have to pot them soon? I hope it isnt TOO hard untangling the roots or too big of a shock to the plant once they are put in soil. They might go brown while they establish their roots in the soil. Maybe thats what happened to those little ones? Anyhow, your rooting idea was great, I've never had a ton of luck with cuttings. Your brug cuttings remind me a lot of hydroponic growing.

Happy holidays!
-DB

o

Georgia!? What type of potting soil did you use on the water rooted cuttings. I have found out that some potting soils do use fertilizers in the mix. This will burn the tender roots and kill the cuttings. Just curious if yours may have had some in it. Kin

o

LOL Kneecop !!
DB, When it comes time to untangle them, I'm going to unhook everything and move the bucket into the bathtub where I can fill it up. I'm hoping I can sort of "float" them apart. I will probably start on that in the middle of February, so at least another 6 or 7 weeks in the bucket.

Kin, it was just straight elcheapo potting soil. I put a layer of sand on the top to help against gnats, other than that, nothing was added. I've got some that I didn't water root, just stuck them in a pot, and they rooted fine. I'm not sure what caused it to happen.

;-) Georgia

o

I have a question regarding the potting soil - Kin said that fertilizer in the mix will burn the roots. Does that mean that Miracle Grow potting soil is a no-no? I just bought some to plant some cuttings that I rooted in water. It also has those aqua crystals to absorb extra water. THese are my first cuttings, so I want to do it right - thanks.

o
RE: Bucket-o-Brugs (3 Month Update)

Hard to believe it's been 3 months. ;-) This will be my last update as I will be potting these up in the next week or so. My last frost date is March 15th, and I want them to be acclimated to pots by that time.

I potted up the ones in the incu-bubbler about 10 days ago, so far so good.

Here is the large bubbler, getting very crowded in there. I've potted up a couple of them already.

Here are some that were already rooted and I let them go "semi" dormant.

6 foot Whiskers is going to need to be straightened. Has a very weird trunk.

6 foot Melon Kisses is just waiting for a warm spell.

Overall, I had the greatest success either leaving them in water if they WEREN'T already rooted, or by leaving them in soil, but dormant if they WERE already rooted.

I know many of you were trying this method and have many more weeks before you can think of potting. Please post how this method did or didn't work for you, and what, if anything you will do differently next winter. Thanks
~~~~~Georgia~~~~~

o

Looks good! too bad I have to wait a long time til my guys can all go outside!
just out of curiosity, how do you plan to straighten the trunk of the crooked one??

o

Those look great.
I have enjoyed following your progress over the last 3 months.

o

I just wanted to say thanks Georgia for posting this! I started my "bucket-o-brugs" about 2 weeks after first reading this. Probably around the beginning of Nov.

I had no idea what I was going to do with all my cuttings (not enough room in the house or the greenhouse), and this has worked out great! There are around 50 cuttings in my little setup. That might seem like way too many for this one tub, but they're all rooted and as healthy as they can be. I add about a gallon of water per week and the water is still very clear. This is in my un-heated garage and I've never added the aquarium heater. I have a grow light above this that I turn on during the day. I think this is one of the best ideas I've seen on GW and a great space saver!

o

They look fantastic Wildflower ! Great job, thanks for sharing. Georgia

o

I also want to thank you Georgia about the idea. I tried this and have now wintered my brugcuttings in water. Haven't lost any! Last frost date is here June 12th so there is still long time to go. But everything looks much better than last year...

So, THANKS!!!!

o

I had great success using this method. I only lost a couple of cuttings to mush. I have just potted them up recently and all seem to be doing well. This realy worked well for me, and was a great space saver. Cindy

o

Thanks everyone ! It's nice to know from Finland, to Canada and the USA, it worked pretty well. Sometimes it's scary to throw an idea out there not knowing what will happen. Since tomorrow is the 4 month update, I'll go ahead and do it today. I started potting mine up last week. We have had very mild weather and it was just to pretty outside for them to be stuck in the house. But lo and behold, it's supposed to be down to 32 degrees tonight so I've been hauling them back inside (along with all of my Plumeria and Adeniums) talk about a workout! I still have 4 in the large bubbler, they are duplicates that I will have to figure out what to do with. They are really too tall to ship. There are a dozen in my living room, a dozen in my bedroom , 5 in my kitchen and 8 in my office. Hurry up Springtime ! Wishing all of you many blooms this growing season. ~~Georgia~~

o

Tue, Apr 26, 05 at 10:12

Just wanted to share my two bits. All of my brugs were cut down in the fall and thrown in the bucket according to this method. But I was either too cheap or to lazy to add a bubbler, so all I had was a bunch of sticks in a giant orange bucket. That was thrown in a pretty dark basement-y type area that I have that probably stayed about 60-68 degrees year round due to the washer/dryer, heater, and AC unit being relatively close.

My big cuttings:
4 out of the 5 big stalks (each about 4-5 feet tall with the Y intact) I cut are newly potted up and seem to be doing real well. The one that wasn't doing well got a little mushy at the top. So all I did was cut the top off (down to where it wasn't mushy) and potted the end up. Now that has new growth! So I guess you could say all 5 survived...

Now for my small cuttings, the 6 inch ones taken from the ends of the blooming branches:
I started with 10. Out of those I lost 1 - it shriveled and died, but it was pretty green to begin with. All of my other cuttings were of that semi-green/brown nature, about as thick as a sausage. 7 of them are now potted up, are outside, and are shooting out new leaves. The remaining two I were potted up immediately indoors (no bucket) and put in a sunny window. They are both now real bushy plants that will go outside this weekend.

The "Stumps" - So I left the stumps in the ground in the hopes that they will all come back. So far only 2 of the 6 brugs I had show any signs of new growth. I may give it a bit more time since its still pretty cold here, but with my "reserves" in place, I may just give up on them if I become impatient.

So in a nutshell, this method is a keeper!

o

I'm so glad for you Kneecop!! Wouldn't worry too much about the ones in the ground. Mine are just now starting to come up. I'm going to mix up some "let's get growing tonic" as soon as it dries out and get this party started. Georgia

o

Is this method meant to keep the brugs for the entire winter, or is it just meant to get fresh cuttings started?

I'm sorry, I kinda got lost with all of the different things going on in this topic (and pretty pictures... oooohhh...)

o

for overwintering. but would also start cuttings. however you don't have to go to that much trouble to start cuttings.

o

Wed, Apr 27, 05 at 12:19

I used it for both -
During the season, my 6 inch cuttings grew to about 5 feet tall with a big 'ol "Y" and several branches. Come winter time, I chopped em down and trimmed em up like you see in the third picture of this thread. In doing so, I had lots of little cuttings but 10 real good ones. Everything went in the bucket to overwinter and just about all potted up by May 15th.

Oh and I changed the water every week for the first month, then got lazy and changed it about evey 3rd week ; )

Georgia - What's in the tonic? So far I'm about 15 for 15 with all the tips you've shared...

o

I've really loved this thread...thanks for "going out on a limb" with this concept, Georgia. I'd love to see pics of your yard when brugs, plumerias & other plants are at their peak. Is there a thread you can direct me to if you've already shared such pics? If not, please share with us this year!!

Many thanks,
Patrick

o

Kneecop, here in northern AL I have in-ground brugs everywhere from 2 feet tall down to just sprouting, and even a few that I'm still 'just hoping' about. I think a LOT depends on how much sun they get this time of year, how warm the soil is now (directly related to the sunlight issue, LOL!), and even which cultivar they are. Don't give up hope on your in-ground brugs just yet!

o

I just found this thread today. Awesome work! They really turned out good. I am going to try this just for fun.. Hmmm I wonder what else you could root this way?

o

I just planted three earlier this month after an expensive trip the Botanical Garden plant sale. I cannot wait to try to over-winter and propagate them. I got a yellow, white and pink Brug! Yea!

o

WOW!! Thank you all so very much! This thread was very informative. I just spent the last 45 minutes copying and saving it all for this Fall. LOL
I received Brug cuttings from someone in Texas 2 years ago and they are now huge. I had a tough time trying to get them all in the house last Fall and knew I would have to do cuttings this year.
I wish I could remember the names of all of them. I still haven't learned how to post pics.
I think this thread should be kept on top for all to see.
Again, thank you all!!! You can see some of my Brugs in this link.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=186752397

Jan

o

Update on the bucket-o-brugs.. Here's a few pics. They've been outside now since the end of March.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Pink Beauty

Melon Kisses (The fence is 8 feet)

and here's some just coming up

and that's the reason I'll be doing all my Brugs this way next year. Even though they grow fast, it's nice to be this far ahead of Mother Nature.

Happy Growing ;-) Georgia

o

Bubbled Brug (Valley Misty Pink) 5 feet tall

versus
Valley Misty Pink coming up from the roots 16 inches tall

Both pictures taken 5/27/2005

o

Greetings All,
This is my first post to the forums, and I'm fairly new to brugs. I've lurked here for months, and I rooted two four foot cuttings with the Y on top as described at the beginning of this thread. They did great, and I potted them in April. I gave one away, and kept one. Mine has shown next to no growth although the leaves [4" long max] are perfectly healthy looking. Last week, I decided to take it out of the pot to see how things looked down there. Again, everything looked fine [roots intact, no bugs, no rot], but I did think it might have been too deep into the soil, so I raised the soil level before setting the plant back in the pot. We've had plenty of rain lately, and this baby gets 6 hours or more of sun [when there is any!] I fed it again last week as well.

There has been no change in the plant as yet. Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on here? Thanks! And thanks to everyone for such great ideas and pics! Linda

o

Whew! Thought this thread might've dropped off. I'm certainly going to follow Georgia's tried and true bubbler method this fall. Putz'd around with some cuttings in water, some plants in pots, but the rooted y'd large cuttings are outperforming everything.
Thanks for all this info!
LU

o

Hi Georgia,
I'm Mona from NE MS and I'd like to ask you a??? What do you feed your Brugs to make them so very green adn healthy looking??

I just found this thread and am very impressed with it. You all really did a good job!! I have several Brugs that overwinter outside in my very amended clay soil and a few that I take into an unheated greenhouse. I will be trying out your method this winter. I also have one very dumb question, what is an airstone?

If your Brugs are blooming, please post some pictures, I'd love to see them. Thanks for all the info and for any help. May God bless each of you with his loving Grace, Mona

o

Mona, I use a regular 10-10-10 fertilizer (like you use on a lawn) I supplement that with Epsom Salt once a month and I spray with kelp as a foliar feed when I can remember to. It has rained so much that I can't seem to keep enough on them.

o

Wow! I am going to do this bucket of brugs this winter. Great job! What are the names of the brugs in this photo I love the middle one...thanks for all the "clues" on doing this. Beautiful plants!!!

o

Cindy, the middle picture is "Pink Beauty". Everybody needs at least one of her ;-) Georgia

o

Just came to check my supply list for this fall - gonna do a bubbler for sure.
I've never seen the "Pink Beauty" before. I'll have to start a quest for cuttings, it is EXCEPTIONAL!
Lucky you, Cindy.
LU

o

Hi Georgia. It's getting close to me having to take cuttings. I've read through this twice and still wasn't able to determine; do you keep the cuttings in a cool place and do you keep them in the dark or under grow lights while rootings? Many thanks
Cleo

o

Georgia, I'll be taking my brugs up and in very soon. They're 3 1/2-4' tall...what size pots should I use...my plants are 1yr old from last year's cuttings. Thanks.
Margaret

o

Cleo, mine were in my unheated bedroom with an ordinary 60 watt light sitting on my dresser. I did put a small aquarium heater in the water to keep it at around 70 degrees.

Pearlgirl, Are you going to be putting yours in a bubbler? or keeping them in individual pots w/soil? Georgia

o

Great post and going to try it this winter! Thanks Georgia!

o

Georgia, are you trading cuttings of your "Pink Beauty" this fall? I'd really like to trade you some cuttings of SuperNova, or an unnamed yellow I have..!

o

I have to say, I think this is one of the all-time best posts to this forum! I like to re-read it for the great specific details and often refer others to it.

Patrick

o

Hi Georgia. I've set-up my bucket-o-brugs, but I must not have got a large enough pump. The water is starting to go a bit slimy. What size pump did you use for your 18 gallon set-up?
Many thanks for a fabulous idea!

o

I really like this method. I would like to use it to start some cuttings later. Does anyone know how you could keep track of which is which type? Can you write directly on the stem with permanent marker or would that hurt the plant?
~SJN

o

Hi Sultry. I cut a 1 inch by 5 inch piece of paper and cut a 1 1/2 inch slot near one end. Write the name down (permanent marker) and then slip that end throught the slot. If you have some flexible plastic you can it use as well. I'll try to post a picture. I've never done it yet so it may take a while.

o

Here's what I mean.

o

I'm not sure what size my air pump was. It is very small though, probably about 3 1/2 inches square. I ran 2 lines off of it to the airstones. And yes, I write the names directly on the cutting with a Sharpie, just make sure you write towards the top so it won't be sitting in water. Georgia

o

Thanks Georgia. I don't think mine's 3 1/2 inches, so maybe that's the problem. I see that the cuttings nearest the airstone are creating the little nubbies that I love to see. I think this method is FABULOUS :) So happy you started this post.

o

I had to come back and revisit this thread and so glad that it is still around. I plan on doing this method due to the lack of space!

My question is...Do you leave the airpump on 24 hours? I have used airpumps in the past for aquariums and they were rather noisy. I don't think I could run it at night.

TIA!
Rebecca

o

Rebecca, I sat my airpump on a stack of several old oven mits to absorb the vibration. ;-) Otherwise it would have driven me nuts. Anything thick and soft should do the trick though. Yes I ran the pumps 24/7. Georgia

o

Thanks Georgia! I shall give it a go!

Rebecca

o

Georgia, Thank you so much for this method!!.. I just have 1 question to ask.. do you strip all the leaves off or do you wait untill they fall? I am in zone 5 and have a huge amount of buds.. but am expecting frost at any time.. should I cut them now?? Thanks!!

o

I'm still debating whether I'll take cuttings from my potted brugs or just remove the leaves and stick the entire plant in the garage. If I end up with quite a few cutting, either my own or from other bruggers, I sure want to use this method.

Georgia...looks like this thread is heading for the magic "100" mark! Congrats on a very good job!

Patrick

o

Shiollie, I stripped almost every leaf when I brought them in, mainly to keep the bug problems at a minimum, but also because when they aren't putting all their energy into making leaves, they make wonderful roots. I continued to strip the leaves off of them until I was ready to pot them up. HTH Georgia

Patrick, I would do both if you have enough material to work with. ;-)

o

cleoa and georgia, thanks for the tips on labeling~always good to keep track of what's what. Good job on posting the pics cleoa :)
~SJN

o

Georgia,
absolutely awesome! Thank you soooo much for sharing the whole process with us! So many times, someone posts something, gets me interested and I never find out how it turns out! Thank you!!!

o

Georgia I gotta get my buckets going and get one of those pink beauties. I am glad this post got back up because with out temps in the high 90's I sure haven't been thinking about cutting brugs....great job

o

New to this forum, but not to GW.
This should be copied and pasted under the heading of "Georgia's Hall of Fame"!!!!
You did a FANTASTIC job. And, thank you for continuing to update. Alot of the time, someone will start a thread, and then not keep up with it, and leave us all hanging never know the end result!
Your brugs are gorgeous.
I just started collecting brugs, and have 5 different varieties. None have bloomed yet, but I am patiently waiting, :-).
If you decide to trade some of your cuttings, or do a sase, please keep me in mind.
BTW, your home is beautiful!

Blessings, Tina

o

What a nice thread! Now I know what to do. This is my first year with brugs - I'll overwinter 5 plants grown from cuttings and 5 tall seedlings. I'll definitely try a bucket method together with regular "going dormant" one. Luckily I have a lot of space to play with. Georgia, what is the name of the creamy yellowish brug with cute curly tips? It's so pretty!
Thanks,
Janna

o

Thanks everyone! I never believed this thread would make it to 100 posts. I think it has been one of the very few that got this far without any harsh words, and that in itself is a small miracle. Here it is a year later and I just recently got my 2005-06 bucket set up. If there is interest, we can always start a new thread. For those who are "unbelievers", I would encourage them to start a thread detailing their rooting methods. I've always said this isn't the only way.

Janna, the Brug you are asking about is Melon Kisses, she gets more color in the fall and her scent is devine.

~~~~~~~~~Georgia~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o

Georgia....I took many cuttings from my white brugs and so
many have rooted already. My plan is to pot them up and keep in a dark place...is this correct? I had no idea that
they would root so quickly!

Thanks, Margaret

o

Silly question but how much are those kinds of airstones?
I have a pump and am thinking of doing the same thing with some of my cuttings.
Sunny

o

Sunny, I don't remember exactly, but they are fairly inexpensive. Check Petsmart to get an idea. Georgia

Here is a link that might be useful: Petsmart

o

I have mine all set up this year. It has been a week now and so far, so good. I found a nice quiet air pump at my local fish store. It is a Tetra Whisper 10 gallon for $10.99. It's blue and looks like a bug. It sits on four legs. Here's a pic. I used two round air stones. My long one would not fit.

Here is the whole setup.

I think this thread is going to go on forever, LOL!

Rebecca

o

wow - that's some kinda light you got on those orchids at top..

o

farslayr, those lights are great and pretty cheap setup! My third year using them for winter. They are small aluminum clamp lights that can be found at home improvement stores for around $6.00 a piece. The bulbs are the spiral florescents at, I believe, 42 watts (comparable to 200 or 250 incandescent watts). They are about $10.00 a piece. The door faces SW so they get direct sunlight for a couple of hours. All of my high light orchids are on that shelf.

Rebecca

o

Quick question. Did you use regular tap water or distilled water.

o

Regular tap water.

o

I used your method last year and had such good results. I have done it again this year. I have a lot of cuttings in my container, I have the heater set at 70, and it is working great. I set it up about two weeks ago and have lots of nubbies already. This is the easiest way to go, thanks so much again.
Cindy

o

Thanks again for all your help Georgia. This is such an excellent idea for overwintering Brugs in a small space.

Just to add my .02 to the tips and tricks. Some of you mentioned using chicken wire to keep them upright. Well, I experimented with it and found that a wire basket shelf fits just about perfectly into the top of my setup. No cutting or bending of wire or anything...and it cost about the same as a roll of chicken wire.

o

Georgia, did I understand correctly that you continued to strip the leaves off while you kept the cuttings semi-dormant? I have the room temp at about 60F (can't seem to get it down to 50). I'm not heating the water though and it seems to be pretty cool. My brugs have rooted like crazy and the leaves are about 3 inches long now. Should I nip them off?

o

I forgot to mention that out of all the cuttings I took the Jean Pasco and X candida white are very very slow. They only have one root on them. Is this normal? Are they finicky to root?

o

Cleoa, I kept the leaves stripped off so I wouldn't have to deal with bugs, but others left them on with no problems. Personal preference. I don't have Jean Pasco or X candida, but some are harder and slower to root than others.

Georgia

o

Hi All,

I would love to see this post continue! I shared this with my fellow daylily friends over on the Round Robin Forum...... IT'S SIMPLY A BRILLIANT IDEA!!!

I started my Brug Bubbler the other day....have about 80 cuttings....50 just from one brug (it was a huge tree). Haven't even finished cutting down all of my brugs...this is just the start.....whew!

I used some left over chicken wire, small air pump from Wally World I had that was too small for one of my aquariums and some leftover plastic tubing from one of my fish aquariums, the bucket is one of those 18 gallon storage containers I had laying around....all leftover stuff. So far everything is doing well!

Can we keep this post going....would like to see the results of others as well as some pictures! Someone start a new thread.

Hi Canna.....like that light over your orchids....I use shoplights for larger areas but for smaller areas this is a neat idea that I must implement (grin).

Thanks Georgia and everyone for sharing!!!

Jaye

o

i don't use a bubbler with my cuttings-i just change the water weekly.i currently have over 500 cuttings rooting.

here's about 200 cuttings.

heres some cuttings growing in the greenhouse.

this is what the greenhouse looked like last january.

o

Well I've had my brugs going for a couple of months now using this method and I'm having a problem. It's cold here now (-15F) and I'm getting an ice buildup on my window pane. I've got the brugs under grow lights in a spare bedroom that's not used. I closed the furnace register to keep the temperature down to around 50F and as a result the moisture is condensing on the cold window and forming ice. Would it be okay to pot them up (there's lots of roots) and then keep them at the same temperature? Some of them are 4 feet tall and I really don't want them growing much as I won't be able to put them out until the middle of May 2006.

o

I think it will be ok to pot them up but as someone stated previously in the post, they keep the leaves cut....although not ALL the leaves. This I think keeps them from growing so much in the off season. Look at some of the previous post. Hope this helps.

o

• Posted by Grant 6a - ON, Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 8, 05 at 23:31

Hi Georgia thanks for taking the time to share your growing methods. Nice post. As informative as your thread is, its even more impressive that the thread has been running since 2004.

I am new to brugs and have been thinking about setting up a bubbler but I was really impressed with your settup and wanted to share a couple of additions that I made to mine that I think might provide some minor enhancements. I have read many peoples comments of having problems with the bottom of brugs getting soft and mushy and either suspending them off the bottom using sticks or toothpicks but I decided to suspend some plastic egg crating (used with floresent lights) over top of the bubblers to deal with this issue. I was also looking for a simple way to keep the taller brugs in place so they wouldn't topple over so I decided to keep them in place by using a few ropes criss-crossed at the top of the bucket (attached to the sides of the bucket by large paperclips).

Here's wishing it works as well as the original design and I am blessed with lots of beautiful brugs like in the photos you posted.

Thanks!

o

I used the bubbler as shown and hung a two bulb fluorescent shop light above it. I think I am going to keep the brugs in the water until spring. They leaved out beautifully (no bugs yet) and very compact. I am sure I have 200 cuttings. I just top regulalry with water. Happy Holidays to all you Brug lovers. A Bruglover in Maryland.

o

I've only got 8 cuttings and 2 of them turned mushy! I've read JudithW's FAQ and tried to root them in water. Like JudithW said the thinner semi-ripe ones are seemingly doing better while the 2 that rotted were definitely harder. The butterfly cuttings seem to be rooting the fastest while the double white are half gone & at least one more looks iffy. I don't want to lose anymore! How do you all stop your hundreds of cuttings from rotting in your bucket o' brugs?

o

Hi WRF. I had one of my cuttings start to go mushy a couple months ago and all I did was cut off the mushy part and pop it back in the water. I cut back to where it was firm. Anyway it's rooted. I haven't lost one of the 30 cuttings I took. This method is fabulous.

o

:( I lost 3 out of 4 of my butterfly cuttings. When I checked on them they were all shriveled up on the top and mushy in the middle. It happened fast--within 2 days. :( I potted up the last remaining one and the 2 remaining double white cuttings and moved them outside (to the location where my one & only brug was rooted from a cutting) so maybe I will be able to salvage the survivors.

o

Seems like a lot of work since Brugmansia root so easily without all the added hardware. Maybe it's saving you time on water changes while they root up.

o

The method is for overwintering them without the hassle of dragging pots in etc and is a fabulous way of saving space and effort (it isn't to take cuttings although of course that is essentially what is happening), thanks Georgia, for the fantastic information

o

Wonderful information - got to try it! If anyone has cuttings of a true orange brug, please email me. Thanks!

o

WOW!
I am very new to Brugs and this was quite an education. Learned so much, Thank you. I purchased one rooted plant this past month and planted it in the ground. It is a double white and can't wait till it is grown up so I can try to root some cuttings. I don't know if I have to do anything special here in Florida, except maybe cover it if the temperature starts to get cold. Any advice for me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for teaching me about this beautiful plant.
Jardinera

o

wow, Georgia, you're a Brug Hero! To see this thread so informative for so long. I recall reading the beginning back in '04, and recalling a form of this implementation being used commercially at a bansai garden for rare plant cuttings.
I hope that this will positively impact the availability of brug varieties in the years to come (ie: Mountain Magic, etc.). Thank you again for sharing this info with us, and all of your helpful advice over the years..Thanks for your unselfish sharing, and continued success with your offspring!
Happy Brugging! xox

o

The goal is to raise health Brugs in an environment that keeps them growing. This method will work for certain varieties but again once the nubs show they should be put directly into soil for a better plant in the long run. If you use this method, then you should know which varieties start best in water. To leave these in water even if it circulates isn't in the best interest of any plant, sorry!!

o

BUMP!

Since I'm new in Illinois to Brugs, and there are others here starting - I wanted to bump this thread (since 2005) to the top again.

It's one of the best and most informative threads out here. It's too important to let go into the archives!

I've got to get to the hardware store! Get my bubbler set up. . . .think I'll stick it in the kitchen - just to feed my "jones" over the winter. Can't imagine all of a sudden, nothing. . .(withdrawls, I can see it now.)

I hope everyone enjoys this as much as I did. . .and let us know what you're going to do for a set up!

Especially those of you getting CUTTINGS. . .woohooo!

Best wishes. . .

Dweeb

o

Thanks technodweeb'
Most informative but I am trying to understand what would bring someone to root so many.. someone had 500 cutings rooted!

Is Georgia on my mind, still around?

o

Yes, I'm still here ;-)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Georgia,
Such a informative thread, I really injoyed it, keep up the
good work!
Karen/gardenpaw

o

Oxmyx:

If I can do 500 (ohhhhhkay, more like 5 after I send you some) PROPGATE, and then root 50, then 100. . .and then guess what - root 500 cuttings? I'M NOT CUTTING anymore! (grin) Have a FOREST. . .give them away! Hand them to people. . .

"share the fun". . .and each year, other people don't need to lift and store. . .I can just give them new ones.

Ok - I took some vacation time today. .gotta go get the stuff to put my bubbler bucket together!

(can't wait to try this!)

o

Ok that was JUST about the MOST annoying trip Ive made. Drove all over h*** and gone finally ended up at a PetSmart. Should have started there in the first place.

And then, this poor lady when Im trying to explain that I dont need the 57.00 heater she asks what exactly am I trying to do - I show her some of Georgia_on_my_minds pictures and said "I want to heat some water for some plants. . . ." - the look I got. . . juuuuuust too funny. . . . .

Then came the "what is that?" "What are those?" "Why do you grow them?" "Where are they from" "How big will they get?" etc, etc, etc.

Ya know, it strikes me that the Brugs give back more than just their beauty, they open conversations, discussions, and friendliness.

Ok Ill have to print out a few more pictures to emulate Georgia_on_my_minds setup to get this rolling.

Boy I'm nervous. Wintering them is new to me - used to just leave them in the ground in Nor CA.

The only ones Im looking forward to "whacking" are my jerk whites.

As I move them today, I'm going to look for spots to cut them - without completely losing the growth from this year. (So much of my plants are green. Young - I'm hoping they root.)

Anyone else doing a setup?

o
Response to Bucket-o-Brugs

Oh in case there is anyone out there in my boat after showing my family pictures of this set up to over winter the brugs, I am now officially considered a nut case in my family. (grin)

DH just smiles Dad thinks Im a loon, my Mom said "just let them die start again next year."

Whaaaaaaaaaaat!?!?!? The heresy of such a suggestion never!

The morning glories climbing all over, the trumpet vine that ate Tokyo, the Brugs, the gunnera in my little mud puddle. . .the Dawn Redwood, and the musa basjoo (banana just for the shock value) next to the huge pine. . .Im now. . . .officially. . . .a whacko. (grin)

o

Save me a cutting Techno ;-) I'm Brugless this year! Long story......best of luck in your bubbling adventure!

o

Oh Georgia. . .I'm so sorry. Of course - after all you've given to us in knowledge?

You name it! Matter of fact, I was going to order some cuttings since I'm going to do this. . was eyballing the stuff on ebay. Desiree, Angels Moonlight, Rahabana, Genevierre, Halo Peach, Double orange, etc.

Why not? "Go large or go home!" Those are little plants - I could just grow them - or CUT them - keep them going until next year, and do cuttings and give them to everyone.

Thank you for the best wishes - stay in touch, ok?

o

Technodweeb I am looking at the same cutting on Ebay..... If you are interested, perhaps we could share the cost, I don't need three cuttings, in fact we know, one will make 1000s.

you buy one batch, I buy the other and we trade.
so, if interested, please email me.

o
oxmyx: is that you outbidding me?!?!

OXMYX YOU . . .YOU. . .. .is that YOU bidding against me>?!?!?!? Man everytime my bid goes it. . I'm outbid!

STOP. . .Ok. . I'm walking away from the double peach and the triple orange. . .man, we're running each other's bill up! I'm at 8.00 for cuttings and you're out-running me!

Oh LOL. . that is just tooooooooo funny. . KNOCK IT OFF!

o

Oxmyx! LOL. . . . . you've got mail. . . .

I'm laughing hysterically here. . . .man I was getting mad at that unnamed person outbidding me!

"WHO KEEPS DOING THAT???!!"

LOLOLOL. . . . .oh that's funny. . .

o

• Posted by gee8ch zone 9 SoCali (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 14, 07 at 20:22

Hi dweeb: Hope to do the B-O-B method to root cuttings this year. will be shopping for equipment this weekend! Still need some more cuttings, but am trying to save my Adora Brug. Problem may be it's a young plant and any cuttings will be green and not woody. Hope they don't rot. Since we're both new at trying this method, let's keep each other posted on progress and what works and what doesn't! Think Georgia on my Mind should go down in Brug history. Let's hope our Brugs do as well as hers. Gloria

o

gee8ch - you got it.

I'm concerned also, because mine are a lot of green, too.

Jeep-Jim said try peroxide and a fungicide. Not sure - may try just water, and I think Karen said greens do better in soil (depending on how young.) Some of my stuff is REAL young.

Got some rooting hormone for any you're going to put in soil? I'm going to try a couple - tips that haven't Yed and won't be worth mailing because they'd be so iffy.

o

• Posted by gee8ch zone 9 SoCali (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 07 at 8:18

Hi dweeb: Am all set up for B-O-B. Since my Adora is fading fast, I will be taking very young and green cuttings to try and continue the plant. So I'm thinking of waiting only till I see the nubbies and then taking Karyn's advice and potting them in soil. Just don't trust the thin green cuttings not to rot in water or shrivel in soil. Will try the Best of Both Worlds! Wadda ya think? Gloria

o

Sounds good. I just put a broken piece of a triple Y in rootone and soil 2 days ago.

Shoulda stripped the leaves. Just gave it a haircut this morning - not looking good. But, it had 3 blooms that weren't opened and lots of leaves. It was VERY young.

It was a hail mary trying to save that piece. But figured "let's try it."

Gotta get some peroxide.

o

This is my first year with brugs and I am interested in trying this BOB method to overwinter them. However I am a little confused---can we keep them in the water until potting them in spring? I have 2 large plants that will have to be cut back very soon.
Thanks, Sharon

o

Sharon I keep cuttings in the rooting buckets until spring and haven't had any problems transitioning them to soil. Some people pot them up as soon as they have small roots. I don't have the space for that. The roots do get tangled up and you'll break some trying to tease them apart but that doesn't seem to cause any problems. You just need to make sure that the water remains clean and free of plant debris that will rot and foul the water. Even with an aerator I do occasionally change the water over the course of the winter.
Karyn

o

Thanks Karyn, I thought that was what was being done, but was a little concerned about water roots. This is a great space saver! Any tips on how to baby and maintain young rooted cuttings and young seedlings? I am loving these brugs and have been also growing cannas this year.
Sharon

o

Sharon I don't do anything special with rooted brug cuttings or seedlings that I start outside. When I start seeds indoors I keep them under HID lights and usually start them on a seed mat. I think I'm the only person who doesn't love cannas and have stopped growing them. I used to lift the tubers in the fall after the foliage has died down, allowed them to dry then stored them over the winter. I planted them in the spring when it's warmed up.
Karyn

o

Hello all,

I am a long time lurker on gardenweb, but this is my first post. I live in Dallas, and I went to a local plant sale in Dallas a few weeks ago, and I arrived as everyone was winding down. I noticed that in the dumpster someone had thrown away 5 brugs, so I picket them out of the dumpster and took them home with me. 4 of them were in 1 gallon containers and one was in a 5 gallon container.

So, I planted them about two weeks ago, and I woke up this morning to 45 degree temps. I do not know if the roots will survive being planted this late in the fall. So, I would like to take some cuttings, and root them in water. As mentioned before, I have 4 small plants, but the bigger plant already has a Y. Can I cut all 5 of them at the base and try to root them?

For the bigger one, can I cut into 3 parts and root each part?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian

o

Yes Brian you sure can. I would say if you can get 3 six inch cuttings out of the larger one, go for it! You could also just dig them up and put them back in their pots, but I gather that is not the route you want to take. Water rooting is a real space saver. Hope this helps ;-) Georgia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here