Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgia_on_my_mind

Bucket-o-Brugs

Georgia_on_my_mind
19 years ago

Started cutting down a few today that will not have time to bloom again before frost. Told Kneecop I would share my setup, so here goes.

I'm using an 18 gallon Rubbermaid container (found on curb)

2 10 inch airstones

one small aquairum airpump

I cut a small hole near the top of the container to run the tubing through, and glued the suction cups inside the container with nail glue (like for fake nails, it dries in seconds) I then attached the airstones to the suction cups and ran tubing from each of them to the "tee". Then a single piece of tubing from the "tee" to the airpump. This way you can run 2 stones off of one pump/

{{gwi:565371}}

close up of the "tee"

{{gwi:559790}}

outside w/pump

{{gwi:565373}}

added about 4 inches of water and plugged in the pump

{{gwi:565375}}

I attached lengths of bamboo to the bottoms of the cuttings to elevate them about a half an inch off the bottom of the container (to keep them from getting mushy)

Brug stilts.

{{gwi:565377}}

A shot of the inside

{{gwi:565379}}

The beginnings of a jungle

{{gwi:565380}}

Hope this is clear, if not ask away. Georgia

Comments (150)

• pearlgirl
    18 years ago

Georgia....I took many cuttings from my white brugs and so
    many have rooted already. My plan is to pot them up and keep in a dark place...is this correct? I had no idea that
    they would root so quickly!

Thanks, Margaret

• SunnySmiles51
    18 years ago

Silly question but how much are those kinds of airstones?
    I have a pump and am thinking of doing the same thing with some of my cuttings.
    Sunny

• Georgia_on_my_mind
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sunny, I don't remember exactly, but they are fairly inexpensive. Check Petsmart to get an idea. Georgia

Here is a link that might be useful: Petsmart

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

I have mine all set up this year. It has been a week now and so far, so good. I found a nice quiet air pump at my local fish store. It is a Tetra Whisper 10 gallon for $10.99. It's blue and looks like a bug. It sits on four legs. {{gwi:565370}}. I used two round air stones. My long one would not fit.

{{gwi:565435}}

Here is the whole setup.

{{gwi:565436}}

I think this thread is going to go on forever, LOL!

Rebecca

• farslayr
    18 years ago

wow - that's some kinda light you got on those orchids at top..

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

farslayr, those lights are great and pretty cheap setup! My third year using them for winter. They are small aluminum clamp lights that can be found at home improvement stores for around $6.00 a piece. The bulbs are the spiral florescents at, I believe, 42 watts (comparable to 200 or 250 incandescent watts). They are about $10.00 a piece. The door faces SW so they get direct sunlight for a couple of hours. All of my high light orchids are on that shelf.

Rebecca

• yusuf06
    18 years ago

Quick question. Did you use regular tap water or distilled water.

• Georgia_on_my_mind
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Regular tap water.

• klinger
    18 years ago

I used your method last year and had such good results. I have done it again this year. I have a lot of cuttings in my container, I have the heater set at 70, and it is working great. I set it up about two weeks ago and have lots of nubbies already. This is the easiest way to go, thanks so much again.
    Cindy

• yusuf06
    18 years ago

Thanks again for all your help Georgia. This is such an excellent idea for overwintering Brugs in a small space.

Just to add my .02 to the tips and tricks. Some of you mentioned using chicken wire to keep them upright. Well, I experimented with it and found that a wire basket shelf fits just about perfectly into the top of my setup. No cutting or bending of wire or anything...and it cost about the same as a roll of chicken wire.

• cleoa
    18 years ago

Georgia, did I understand correctly that you continued to strip the leaves off while you kept the cuttings semi-dormant? I have the room temp at about 60F (can't seem to get it down to 50). I'm not heating the water though and it seems to be pretty cool. My brugs have rooted like crazy and the leaves are about 3 inches long now. Should I nip them off?

• cleoa
    18 years ago

I forgot to mention that out of all the cuttings I took the Jean Pasco and X candida white are very very slow. They only have one root on them. Is this normal? Are they finicky to root?

• Georgia_on_my_mind
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cleoa, I kept the leaves stripped off so I wouldn't have to deal with bugs, but others left them on with no problems. Personal preference. I don't have Jean Pasco or X candida, but some are harder and slower to root than others.

Georgia

• TakingRoot
    18 years ago

Hi All,

I would love to see this post continue! I shared this with my fellow daylily friends over on the Round Robin Forum...... IT'S SIMPLY A BRILLIANT IDEA!!!

I started my Brug Bubbler the other day....have about 80 cuttings....50 just from one brug (it was a huge tree). Haven't even finished cutting down all of my brugs...this is just the start.....whew!

I used some left over chicken wire, small air pump from Wally World I had that was too small for one of my aquariums and some leftover plastic tubing from one of my fish aquariums, the bucket is one of those 18 gallon storage containers I had laying around....all leftover stuff. So far everything is doing well!

Can we keep this post going....would like to see the results of others as well as some pictures! Someone start a new thread.

Hi Canna.....like that light over your orchids....I use shoplights for larger areas but for smaller areas this is a neat idea that I must implement (grin).

Thanks Georgia and everyone for sharing!!!

Jaye

• trigger_m
    18 years ago

i don't use a bubbler with my cuttings-i just change the water weekly.i currently have over 500 cuttings rooting.
    {{gwi:565437}}

here's about 200 cuttings.
    {{gwi:311358}}

heres some cuttings growing in the greenhouse.
    {{gwi:311661}}

this is what the greenhouse looked like last january.

• cleoa
    18 years ago

Well I've had my brugs going for a couple of months now using this method and I'm having a problem. It's cold here now (-15F) and I'm getting an ice buildup on my window pane. I've got the brugs under grow lights in a spare bedroom that's not used. I closed the furnace register to keep the temperature down to around 50F and as a result the moisture is condensing on the cold window and forming ice. Would it be okay to pot them up (there's lots of roots) and then keep them at the same temperature? Some of them are 4 feet tall and I really don't want them growing much as I won't be able to put them out until the middle of May 2006.

• TakingRoot
    18 years ago

I think it will be ok to pot them up but as someone stated previously in the post, they keep the leaves cut....although not ALL the leaves. This I think keeps them from growing so much in the off season. Look at some of the previous post. Hope this helps.

• Grant
    18 years ago

Hi Georgia thanks for taking the time to share your growing methods. Nice post. As informative as your thread is, its even more impressive that the thread has been running since 2004.

I am new to brugs and have been thinking about setting up a bubbler but I was really impressed with your settup and wanted to share a couple of additions that I made to mine that I think might provide some minor enhancements. I have read many peoples comments of having problems with the bottom of brugs getting soft and mushy and either suspending them off the bottom using sticks or toothpicks but I decided to suspend some plastic egg crating (used with floresent lights) over top of the bubblers to deal with this issue. I was also looking for a simple way to keep the taller brugs in place so they wouldn't topple over so I decided to keep them in place by using a few ropes criss-crossed at the top of the bucket (attached to the sides of the bucket by large paperclips).

Here's wishing it works as well as the original design and I am blessed with lots of beautiful brugs like in the photos you posted.

Thanks!

• gardengranma
    18 years ago

I used the bubbler as shown and hung a two bulb fluorescent shop light above it. I think I am going to keep the brugs in the water until spring. They leaved out beautifully (no bugs yet) and very compact. I am sure I have 200 cuttings. I just top regulalry with water. Happy Holidays to all you Brug lovers. A Bruglover in Maryland.

• wanna_run_faster
    18 years ago

I've only got 8 cuttings and 2 of them turned mushy! I've read JudithW's FAQ and tried to root them in water. Like JudithW said the thinner semi-ripe ones are seemingly doing better while the 2 that rotted were definitely harder. The butterfly cuttings seem to be rooting the fastest while the double white are half gone & at least one more looks iffy. I don't want to lose anymore! How do you all stop your hundreds of cuttings from rotting in your bucket o' brugs?

• cleoa
    18 years ago

Hi WRF. I had one of my cuttings start to go mushy a couple months ago and all I did was cut off the mushy part and pop it back in the water. I cut back to where it was firm. Anyway it's rooted. I haven't lost one of the 30 cuttings I took. This method is fabulous.

• wanna_run_faster
    18 years ago

:( I lost 3 out of 4 of my butterfly cuttings. When I checked on them they were all shriveled up on the top and mushy in the middle. It happened fast--within 2 days. :( I potted up the last remaining one and the 2 remaining double white cuttings and moved them outside (to the location where my one & only brug was rooted from a cutting) so maybe I will be able to salvage the survivors.

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    18 years ago

Seems like a lot of work since Brugmansia root so easily without all the added hardware. Maybe it's saving you time on water changes while they root up.

• iloveheliotrope
    18 years ago

The method is for overwintering them without the hassle of dragging pots in etc and is a fabulous way of saving space and effort (it isn't to take cuttings although of course that is essentially what is happening), thanks Georgia, for the fantastic information

• kayjones
    17 years ago

Wonderful information - got to try it! If anyone has cuttings of a true orange brug, please email me. Thanks!

• jardinerafloridana
    17 years ago

WOW!
    I am very new to Brugs and this was quite an education. Learned so much, Thank you. I purchased one rooted plant this past month and planted it in the ground. It is a double white and can't wait till it is grown up so I can try to root some cuttings. I don't know if I have to do anything special here in Florida, except maybe cover it if the temperature starts to get cold. Any advice for me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for teaching me about this beautiful plant.
    Jardinera

• plantpro_wholeseeds_com
    16 years ago

wow, Georgia, you're a Brug Hero! To see this thread so informative for so long. I recall reading the beginning back in '04, and recalling a form of this implementation being used commercially at a bansai garden for rare plant cuttings.
    I hope that this will positively impact the availability of brug varieties in the years to come (ie: Mountain Magic, etc.). Thank you again for sharing this info with us, and all of your helpful advice over the years..Thanks for your unselfish sharing, and continued success with your offspring!
    Happy Brugging! xox

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

The goal is to raise health Brugs in an environment that keeps them growing. This method will work for certain varieties but again once the nubs show they should be put directly into soil for a better plant in the long run. If you use this method, then you should know which varieties start best in water. To leave these in water even if it circulates isn't in the best interest of any plant, sorry!!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

BUMP!

Since I'm new in Illinois to Brugs, and there are others here starting - I wanted to bump this thread (since 2005) to the top again.

It's one of the best and most informative threads out here. It's too important to let go into the archives!

I've got to get to the hardware store! Get my bubbler set up. . . .think I'll stick it in the kitchen - just to feed my "jones" over the winter. Can't imagine all of a sudden, nothing. . .(withdrawls, I can see it now.)

I hope everyone enjoys this as much as I did. . .and let us know what you're going to do for a set up!

Especially those of you getting CUTTINGS. . .woohooo!

Best wishes. . .

Dweeb

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

Thanks technodweeb'
    Most informative but I am trying to understand what would bring someone to root so many.. someone had 500 cutings rooted!

Is Georgia on my mind, still around?

• Georgia_on_my_mind
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I'm still here ;-)

{{gwi:565438}}

• gardenpaw
    16 years ago

Georgia,
    Such a informative thread, I really injoyed it, keep up the
    good work!
    Karen/gardenpaw

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Oxmyx:

If I can do 500 (ohhhhhkay, more like 5 after I send you some) PROPGATE, and then root 50, then 100. . .and then guess what - root 500 cuttings? I'M NOT CUTTING anymore! (grin) Have a FOREST. . .give them away! Hand them to people. . .

"share the fun". . .and each year, other people don't need to lift and store. . .I can just give them new ones.

Ok - I took some vacation time today. .gotta go get the stuff to put my bubbler bucket together!

(can't wait to try this!)

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Ok  that was JUST about the MOST annoying trip IÂve made. Drove all over h*** and gone  finally ended up at a PetSmart. Should have started there in the first place.

And then, this poor lady  when IÂm trying to explain that I donÂt need the 57.00 heater  she asks what exactly am I trying to do - I show her some of Georgia_on_my_mindÂs pictures  and said "I want to heat some water for some plants. . . ." - the look I got. . . juuuuuust too funny. . . . .

Then came the "what is that?" "What are those?" "Why do you grow them?" "Where are they from" "How big will they get?" etc, etc, etc.

Ya know, it strikes me that the Brugs give back more than just their beauty, they open conversations, discussions, and friendliness.

Ok  IÂll have to print out a few more pictures to emulate Georgia_on_my_mindÂs setup to get this rolling.

Boy I'm nervous. Wintering them is new to me - used to just leave them in the ground in Nor CA.

The only ones Im looking forward to "whacking" are my jerk whites.

As I move them today, I'm going to look for spots to cut them - without completely losing the growth from this year. (So much of my plants are green. Young - I'm hoping they root.)

Anyone else doing a setup?

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Oh  in case there is anyone out there in my boat  after showing my family pictures of this set up to over winter the brugs, I am now officially considered a nut case in my family. (grin)

DH just smiles  Dad thinks IÂm a loon, my Mom said "just let them die  start again next year."

Whaaaaaaaaaaat!?!?!? The heresy of such a suggestion  never!

The morning glories climbing all over, the trumpet vine that ate Tokyo, the Brugs, the gunnera in my little mud puddle. . .the Dawn Redwood, and the musa basjoo (banana  just for the shock value) next to the huge pine. . .IÂm now. . . .officially. . . .a whacko. (grin)

• Georgia_on_my_mind
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Save me a cutting Techno ;-) I'm Brugless this year! Long story......best of luck in your bubbling adventure!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Oh Georgia. . .I'm so sorry. Of course - after all you've given to us in knowledge?

You name it! Matter of fact, I was going to order some cuttings since I'm going to do this. . was eyballing the stuff on ebay. Desiree, Angels Moonlight, Rahabana, Genevierre, Halo Peach, Double orange, etc.

Why not? "Go large or go home!" Those are little plants - I could just grow them - or CUT them - keep them going until next year, and do cuttings and give them to everyone.

Thank you for the best wishes - stay in touch, ok?

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

Technodweeb I am looking at the same cutting on Ebay..... If you are interested, perhaps we could share the cost, I don't need three cuttings, in fact we know, one will make 1000s.

you buy one batch, I buy the other and we trade.
    so, if interested, please email me.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

OXMYX YOU . . .YOU. . .. .is that YOU bidding against me>?!?!?!? Man everytime my bid goes it. . I'm outbid!

STOP. . .Ok. . I'm walking away from the double peach and the triple orange. . .man, we're running each other's bill up! I'm at 8.00 for cuttings and you're out-running me!

Oh LOL. . that is just tooooooooo funny. . KNOCK IT OFF!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Oxmyx! LOL. . . . . you've got mail. . . .

I'm laughing hysterically here. . . .man I was getting mad at that unnamed person outbidding me!

"WHO KEEPS DOING THAT???!!"

LOLOLOL. . . . .oh that's funny. . .

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Hi dweeb: Hope to do the B-O-B method to root cuttings this year. will be shopping for equipment this weekend! Still need some more cuttings, but am trying to save my Adora Brug. Problem may be it's a young plant and any cuttings will be green and not woody. Hope they don't rot. Since we're both new at trying this method, let's keep each other posted on progress and what works and what doesn't! Think Georgia on my Mind should go down in Brug history. Let's hope our Brugs do as well as hers. Gloria

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

gee8ch - you got it.

I'm concerned also, because mine are a lot of green, too.

Jeep-Jim said try peroxide and a fungicide. Not sure - may try just water, and I think Karen said greens do better in soil (depending on how young.) Some of my stuff is REAL young.

Got some rooting hormone for any you're going to put in soil? I'm going to try a couple - tips that haven't Yed and won't be worth mailing because they'd be so iffy.

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Hi dweeb: Am all set up for B-O-B. Since my Adora is fading fast, I will be taking very young and green cuttings to try and continue the plant. So I'm thinking of waiting only till I see the nubbies and then taking Karyn's advice and potting them in soil. Just don't trust the thin green cuttings not to rot in water or shrivel in soil. Will try the Best of Both Worlds! Wadda ya think? Gloria

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Sounds good. I just put a broken piece of a triple Y in rootone and soil 2 days ago.

Shoulda stripped the leaves. Just gave it a haircut this morning - not looking good. But, it had 3 blooms that weren't opened and lots of leaves. It was VERY young.

It was a hail mary trying to save that piece. But figured "let's try it."

Gotta get some peroxide.

• daisy12
    16 years ago

This is my first year with brugs and I am interested in trying this BOB method to overwinter them. However I am a little confused---can we keep them in the water until potting them in spring? I have 2 large plants that will have to be cut back very soon.
    Thanks, Sharon

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Sharon I keep cuttings in the rooting buckets until spring and haven't had any problems transitioning them to soil. Some people pot them up as soon as they have small roots. I don't have the space for that. The roots do get tangled up and you'll break some trying to tease them apart but that doesn't seem to cause any problems. You just need to make sure that the water remains clean and free of plant debris that will rot and foul the water. Even with an aerator I do occasionally change the water over the course of the winter.
    Karyn

• daisy12
    16 years ago

Thanks Karyn, I thought that was what was being done, but was a little concerned about water roots. This is a great space saver! Any tips on how to baby and maintain young rooted cuttings and young seedlings? I am loving these brugs and have been also growing cannas this year.
    Sharon

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Sharon I don't do anything special with rooted brug cuttings or seedlings that I start outside. When I start seeds indoors I keep them under HID lights and usually start them on a seed mat. I think I'm the only person who doesn't love cannas and have stopped growing them. I used to lift the tubers in the fall after the foliage has died down, allowed them to dry then stored them over the winter. I planted them in the spring when it's warmed up.
    Karyn

• tailgatingbrian
    16 years ago

Hello all,

I am a long time lurker on gardenweb, but this is my first post. I live in Dallas, and I went to a local plant sale in Dallas a few weeks ago, and I arrived as everyone was winding down. I noticed that in the dumpster someone had thrown away 5 brugs, so I picket them out of the dumpster and took them home with me. 4 of them were in 1 gallon containers and one was in a 5 gallon container.

So, I planted them about two weeks ago, and I woke up this morning to 45 degree temps. I do not know if the roots will survive being planted this late in the fall. So, I would like to take some cuttings, and root them in water. As mentioned before, I have 4 small plants, but the bigger plant already has a Y. Can I cut all 5 of them at the base and try to root them?

For the bigger one, can I cut into 3 parts and root each part?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian