Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucker303

Advice on Buying Another One

tucker303
10 years ago

Hello,

I bought two rooted cuttings this spring, grew the plants over the summer and just put them in the basement for the winter. I did not get any blooms yet but what I was told when I purchased them (online) was they were Sunray and Dr Suess.

1. I am wondering if Sunray is a prolific bloomer and also very fragrant. If it is, what is the scent akin to? I have read good things about Dr Suess so I think that was a good choice.

2. Since the summers are hot but not lasting all year, if I wanted to buy two more cuttings, what would you suggest (keeping in mind very fragrant and prolific bloomingis important due to the 'short' growing time)?
I value the opinion of others who are more expert than I.

Thank you.

PS...I don't think I would like any baby powder scents

This post was edited by tucker303 on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 15:05

Comments (4)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

Miss Emily McKenzie is a great bloomer. She has almost 2 ft long pink blossoms and she blooms pretty much non stop for me all summer even when the others don't. Nice scent but not super over powering. Of course when you have 30 or more blooms on it at once you get a lot of fragrance going lol.

Ila Marie is an awesome bloomer. Pink with nice tendrils and good fragrance. Cherub is another good pink one that likes heat. Isabella is about the most reliable pink bloomer I have. Definitely an oldie but goodie and smells awesome.

In the double department, New Orleans Lady (a dbl orange is pretty reliable) So is Sam (dbl pink). Day Dreams is a great pink double bloomer but she does have that lighter fragrance -to my nose anyhow.

I have a white double that is one of my own crosses, that is sometimes a triple that is proving to be a superb bloomer in heat and humidity. It hasn't stopped blooming since it first flowered. Not named or anything yet though.

Lemon Meringue is a triple/quad white reliable bloomer even in the heat here for me. Stays fairly small if you keep it in a pot.

• monet_g
    10 years ago

Brugmansia Growers International named New Orleans Lady 2013 Brug of the Year citing it as "perfect in every way". The strong fragrance is of citrus (lemon). Alas, mine is just budding up and I'm sure I won't see blooms before I have to bring it in.

Tucker, I'm a bit surprised yours didn't bloom this year. Mine were first year cuttings, too, and most of them bloomed. Did you water and fertilize the heck out of them?

Gail

This post was edited by monet_g on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 9:55

• tucker303
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jasmine,

Thank you for taking the time to give me all these possibilities to further research. Miss Emily McKenzie is a looker! I think adding a pink one would be nice.

Gail,
    I definitely did not water and fertilize as much as I should have I have learned. When we had those flooding rains in Sept (flooding did not impact me), those two shot up so much...at least it seemed that way to me. Also, Sunray was a bit touch-and-go in the beginning and it was only in a 1 gallon pot.

I will know better next year.

-------
    Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

• monet_g
    10 years ago

Hi Tucker,
    FWIW, being a newbie myself this year, initially, I was cautious about fertilizing - applying once a week or so. I really wanted to see blooms and had read you can't really overfert a Brug. I bumped it up to 3 times a week, which is often recommended, and that's when I started getting results. And, yep, they do love the water.

Another thing I did that I think made an impact - I potted up in July when I could see the plants were root bound. I hated the thought of potting in the heat, but the plants didn't seem to mind bit.

Gail

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022