Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Newbie here with a few pesky questions.

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

Hi everybody,

This was the first year that I have grown brugs in many years. I recieved a bunch of 'Frosty Pink' cuttings and noid yellows. I gave one plant away and now I am left with 5. Out of the 5 I have, I did get one to bloom for me. It was my 'Frosty Pink' and I had around 4 flowers on it. Now, it has budded up again and it is blooming. I have 8 flowers now, so I feel like even though I don't know very much still, I must be doing something right.

So here are my questions. If you have the space and can provide the best amount of light for them, can you keep them growing and blooming during the winter, or would it be better for the plant to go thru a dormant period so it can rest and bloom better next year.

I also wanted to ask a few questions about storing the brugs during the winter. I live in zone 6, so I know they have to come in for the winter. What is the best way to store them? I have read that some people wrap them ina black plastic garbage bag, you put a few holes in the bag so if you water the water can escape and not rot the roots. IS this a good way to do it? I ask because I also grow a bunch of plumeria. This year I added about 12 of them and I have to also store them so I need to make sure that they also have the room they need.

My basement is cool but damp. I worry if I put them there that they may rot. Would suspending them from the ceiling prevent any rot? Also, I assume you prune them back but the one brugs that is blooming, is blooming at about 3ft and I worry about cutting that back and losing the "Y" and then having to wait all summer for it to be able to grow the "y" back and bloom again.

I only have these two varieties but like I said, only one bloomed. How should I prune the others, will it matter if they have no "Y" yet? I am hoping to get some cuttings of other brugs to add to my collection. I have enjoyed learning about these fascinating plants here and i really appreciate all the help from everyone!

Andrew

Comment (1)

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure