Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter: cuttings or not

Posted by seahorse 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 14:19

I have a few brugs that I planted in beds this spring. They were about 2feet tall.
Now they are about 5ft tall and I have to decide how to overwinter them.

First problem is that none of the stems are straight. I guess I should have staked them. So when I pot them up to put back in the garage, they are gonna take up a lot of space. And if I recall right, doesn't the newest green growth die back during cold overwintering? So should I take cuttings from * all* of the green growth, since it will die anyway?

I actually lost a few plants in the garage last year, and it was not a very cold winter for me (perhaps it was lack of water, Or fungi). Seems like the ones that had a mostly new green growth (non hardened) just died all the way back.

So please remind me, give me some tips as to what size cuttings I should take. I am also wondering if I should cut all the way back to where the growth has started to harden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter: cuttings or not

Here in North Texas, I usually cut them back to about an 8" tall stump. I use the grey or oldest "wood" cuttings ( 6" or longer) and root them in water. Mine are all in pots and not in the ground. Even though I know of people that over-winter theirs it the ground.
While in winter storage, you 'll need to check the soil moisture and water weekly, bi-weekly or monthly depending on temps and dryness.
Lonnie

o

"So should I take cuttings from * all* of the green growth, since it will die anyway? ... all the way back to where the growth has started to harden? " I had the same questions. What I found out is that all of the new growth doesn't necessarily die back, particularity if they get the right amount of water. I insert a bamboo skewer into the soil to judge.

Like yours, my plants are still of manageable height. I removed all of their leaves and sprayed them down with "Wilt-Pruf" to prevent/lessen dessication and moved them to the cool and dark basement. They're still blooming down there. ))

Gail

o

I have tried to water root green cuttings without success.
I hear of others that have done it, but with a lot of special care. I usually trim them up, keep the nice thick old wood and compost the small green cuttings. I did receive a few cuttings from Florida and one is green. I'm going to give it a try.
Lonnie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here