Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning an overgrown Brugmansia

Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 14:22

My Charles Grimaldi is about 12 feet tall and looks just terrible. It has 3 trunks, one of which has a "Y" about 3 feet off the ground, but the other two have no foliage or branching until about 8 feet off the ground. There is also lots of tip die-back at the top of the canopy due to the freak freeze we had this winter.

I would like to prune it back in hopes of getting a better shaped, healthier looking and shorter specimen. However, in my climate, I am not sure when to do this since Brugs are in active growth all year round here. -I am thinking spring is probably best? Also, should I lop it all to the ground or leave just the one trunk that has a Y and cut it off right above the Y?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning an overgrown Brugmansia

I'll be watching this thread as I'm new to these as well.

o

I live in Florida and ours grow year around, too. I cut mine back whenever they look crappy or when I can pawn the cuttings off on someone - no certain time, except when they are forming buds, which is right now.

When Nov. gets here and they aren't likely to bloom again until March or May, I will whack them down to about a foot above the ground. Wherever you cut them, two branches will form. I think you can do it whenever it suits you.

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 21:15

Thanks, Kay. That was just the info I needed. Looks like I will getting out the saw in November!

o

FIRST - find someone to take your cuttings, unless you want to put them in a bucket and root them for yourself - I can't stand the thought of composting them!

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 10:37

No worries; I volunteer as a propagator at the U.C. Berkeley Botanical Garden. They will become little baby brugs and will make some money for the garden (-:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here