Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

I just can't do it

karyn1
13 years ago

I am simply too tired to even attempt to dig up the brugs. I just spent the last 4 hours with 5 people moving tender tropicals into the greenhouse. My back is killing me. I just took pain meds and am going to bed. If we get a frost so be it but there's nothing I can do. I must be getting old. lol The container brugs have been moved together and DH will throw a tarp over them. The worst that will happen to the uncovered ones is some foliage and tip damage, no big deal but I will lose the seed pods if it freezes. Hopefully I'll be able to dig them up within the next couple days.

Comments (16)

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Karyn-
    I spent all day getting my trades and brug cuttings for postage packages ready, and was able to put a handful of my brugs in the garage and basement, with the help of my daughter and hubby. We're supposed to get 34* tonight, with a chance of frost. I did cover a few favorites, but the rest will have to fend for themselves. I'm so sorry that you've worked so hard that you've hurt your back. Take some meds, take it easy and rest, you've done the best you could. Don says that even with all the work we've done, it didn't put a dent in all of the brugs I have! I will spend a leisurely week getting the rest of my brugs in. It was a great year, Thank God that I've had this long to play in my gardens. Take care-
    kasha77

• diane_v_44
    13 years ago

karyn

Seems you have been on garden web quite a few years as have I

I know I am getting older and have cut back on , well not cut back on gardening, by any means but cut back on plants that need to be brought in and those heavy pots

I can just not do it any more
    The saddest thing about this is Brugmansia

Because of my interest in tropicals my husband and I bought a home in Florida, eleven years ago.

I grow lots of things there and have learned what will do well without my care for six months but again Brugmansia most years do not survive
    Surprising the plants that do just fine including a nice assortment of Bromelaids and gingers.

I do love the Brugmansia though Still remains my favourite

Here in Canada this year some of my Brugs might just flower in the next two or three weeks but will not have the time before frost hits them
    Just take care of yourself girl.

• chena
    13 years ago

Same here.. We had a Frost last night.. Moved a bunch in.. Everything else just had to tough it out..
    a little wilt but everything looks pretty good..
    Good Luck Girl!!!

• gottahosta
    13 years ago

I'm with you, girl!!!I also can't do it anymore, like I used to. That is why I keep, except for my variegates, most of my brugs in pots- it is hard enough to drag them in in pots, and a few always root into the ground, which is almost the same as digging them up. My 16 y-o grandson Nathan is invaluable to my hubby and me, he is good natured strong and does whatever I ask of him willingly, a treasure in a teenager! LOL!
    Karyn! Spend a little time with some ice and a heating pad this weekend. It is not supposed to get freezing again for a few days.
    ~Brenda
    ****We have only gotten down to 39, but it will probably get us the next time in early November!Rushing to put last minute touches on my new greenhouse! Like the doors!!! LOL!

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Karyn, hope today finds you feeling better. Back issues are no fun so take it easy. Hopefully the weather has been kind and not totally killed your lovely plants.

• pearlgirl
    13 years ago

Karyn, I'm feeling you, girl! You know... I pulled mine in
    rather early and I'm glad that I did so.Larry did most of the
    pulling and lifting as I'm having a time with my leg. You
    did the right thing...FROST??..Oh well.
    Most of mine are in pots also and I'll do the same next year.
    A good soak in a warm EPSOM bath should help. Easy girl!!

Margaret

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

This just makes me shake my head and smile in chagrin. Too bad we all have these darn back issues, etc. that get in the way of our fun with plants! I'm just getting over a severe episode and my back is feeling loads better. Just in time b/c we're having a spate of warm weather (even 40 degree nights!) and I've dragged 3 of the brugs back outside to get lots of sun on the flower buds. (I dug everything up about a month ago.) My Santa Rosa did find a place to stay in the cold nights inside my garage where there are only crossbeams, but no roof, so room to stand all 10' straight up. She spent the night outside last night and has two flowers unfurled, many more to come. One flower bud on peach versi is taking its time developing, another flower on my little white noid has emerged, and Cherub is downright covered in buds. I can't move Cherub around tho b/c the growth pattern is so wide she won't fit through doors without knocking off buds. So she's in my southfacing bedroom window. Nice to wake up to her in the morning! The rest are cut back and going downstairs!

• figara
    13 years ago

Karyn, take it easy and do not over do it. You and your health come first. If you are sick who will take care of your plants? They can be replaced if you loose them. Hope you will feel better today.
    Hugs
    Pat

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Karyn
    I am sorry,you had too leave your Brugs out, I do hope the Frost missed you, we Love our plants, but I agree with everyone, that your health is so much more important
    Back problems gets in the way of everything, so take it easy, take care of yourself. I am so lucky I have a best friend, that helped me get mine in
    Elizabeth

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

I hope you are feeling better Karyn, everyone is right your
    health is so much more important, plants can be replaced.
    Take good care of you.

Karen

• marquest
    13 years ago

Karyn,

Hope you are feeling better. I have a bad back for years so I do not put any of my tropicals in the the ground because I know I would not be able to dig them.

I put everything in the foam pots and drag them in the back door and into the basement. No lifting for me or I will be in a wheelchair.

• Frances Coffill
    13 years ago

I am very sorry to hear that you have hurt your back, take care of yourself, the plants will cope or they will not. As much as we love them, there is only so much we can do.

I have had an awful summer from brugs, but now I have several that are covered with buds. I pushed the potted ones up against the house and watered them well. That is all the love they are getting from me this year. I simply cannot lift and carry those pots into my house. It is all I can do to find enough light and space for my houseplants! (which somehow manage to triple their size every year!

Take care of yourself.

Frances

• figara
    13 years ago

Karyn, you have not been here for the last couple of days. I really hope you are just busy and you are OK health wise.
    Take care,
    Pat

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm emerging from my narcotic induced haze. The back problems are nothing new. I was in a MVA and fractured my back in a couple places a number of years ago. I've have had several surgeries but I'm a terrible patient and do just about everything I'm not supposed to do. My physicians and I have a love hate relationship. lol

We've had a couple nights with frost and there's surprisingly little damage. I did begin cutting back some of the inground plants this am but got too cold. I'll cut more back when it warms up but there's no way I can dig them up. I'll have to get DH or one of the kids to do it for me. Once I get them cut back they should be able to easily shear the roots and lift the pots. I just hated cutting off all those buds and seed pods.

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hi Karyn-
    Sorry to hear that you're still out of commision. take it easy! get some rest, let others help you. Its amazing how my brugs took their first frost. Guess it didn't last too long on them and then the sun arose. I finally cut about 95% of mine down with the help of my sweet daughter. Just need to organize them in the basement. please take care!
    hugs~
    kasha77

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Karyn, YOU need to listen to your doc!!!! By not doing so, you can cause more damage to your back and I assume it isn't so much fun to be permanently crippled! PLEASE!