Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cuttings that wouldn't root

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 17:31

I purchased a cutting of Pink Perfection (Pink Perfektion) from eBay. When I received the package in late September, the cutting was quite dry and slightly withered. A second "free" cutting of another variety that was also included in the box was also dry and withered. Both cuttings were wrapped in a damp paper, plastic and tape at the base.

As prescribed by the seller, I tried rooting them in water. I changed the water daily as it smelled terrible and I was afraid rot was setting in. Two weeks ago I moved them to potting soil as a last result. Still nothing. No roots, no leaves, no growth. Both sticks have withered even further.

By coincidence, both the seller and I live in Jacksonville, Florida. So these cuttings are in the same environment from which they came. (But I did not go to the seller's home - the cuttings were shipped to me as the seller said that she did not allow pickups.)

So here's my question: how long can cuttings sit and/or how dried out can cuttings get and still root? I have a feeling the seller had these cuttings for quite a long time before I made my purchase. I have rooted plenty of green, firm cuttings in my day. But these were brown with wrinkled "skin".

And yes, I have been communicating (lack of) progress with the seller.

Thanks for help or opinions!
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cuttings that wouldn't root

Here are some photos of my poor stick:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

• Posted by ednam z7VIRGINIA (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 22:55

Carol that cutting is gone. I'd contact the seller and ask for a replacement. If it was fresh cut it wouldn't have been dried up on arrival.

o

It looks dead to me. Get your money back. They cut it a long time ago!

o

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation. I do appreciate knowing that you experts agree. In all fairness, I received the cutting in late September. It looked just about the same as in the pictures upon arrival. I had it in water for about two weeks and then in potting soil for about two weeks. I have contacted the seller and sent her the same pictures through eBay Messages (which you can do now).

Thanks again, everyone.

Carol in Jacksonville

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here