Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

Still time to root inground in zone 7b?

kasha77
13 years ago

Am I pushing it a bit to still stick my cuttings in the ground in zone 7b NC? We have a low of 40* tonight, and highs in the 70's, but the nighttime lows are supposed to go up in the mid 40's next week . I have cuttings in ground, they seem ok. I'm so not looking forward to digging everything up yet!

kasha77

ps- Karen- can you please give me details on how you start green cuttings in Perlite?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I think you're pushing it. I'm sure they'll root but I doubt they'd develop much of a root system before it gets too cold.

Not sure which Karen you are asking but I''ll add my 2 cents. You can use perlite to root green stems. I'd dip the cuttings in rooting powder w/fungicide first then put it in moist perlite and cover. You can make a dome or you can seal the whole thing in a baggie. I still end up with a lot of rotted cuttings when I use thin green cuttings.

• chena
    13 years ago

How large are the cuttings you are rooting?

Kylie

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karyn- yes, I'm sorry, I spelled your name wrong. I did want your 2 cents, because I read somewhere else that you started them in perlite. OK- what kind of fungicide do you use and where do you get it? (we're all new at something!) I hate to pot them up and stick these (3/4th inch in diameter by 8 inch long) green cuttings (they do have nubbies) down in my cool basement on a heating mat when all that beautiful sunshine is still out there with decent day time temps. I know- maybe I'm in denial and that was a stupid question, especially when everyone else is starting to cut their's down now. I didn't have to take mine in til the 2nd week of Nov last year. But if nights are going back up into the 40's and low 50's maybe they have a chance to at least root for me. If I can get them past that stage, I'll be ahead. I lost quite a few cuttings last year in that basement to rot- it was cold. I'm a little paranoid I guess.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Kasha77

• karyn1
    13 years ago

You can buy packets of Roottone or is it Rootone (sp?) at any garden center. It's rooting powder that contains a fungicide. A 3/4" cutting, even green, doesn't need to go into perlite. I'd just put that in soil. I'm talking about very thin cuttings, less then a pencil width that I'd put in perlite. Those are also the only ones that I'd consider using bottom heat with. I don't use bottom heat for rooting brug cuttings. Room temp works just fine. Mature cuttings will even root sitting in a bucket of water on a cool slate floor.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK- I do use that, I didn't realize it had a fungicide in it. (the print is WAY too small to read!) I understand now. I used bottom heat for all of my cuttings in my cold cellar last year- they rooted like crazy! I was afraid they'd rot in a moist cold environment. (I did lose about 25% of them, that's too high a % for me!) Thanks Karyn, you've been very encouraging!
    kasha77

• ruth_ann
    13 years ago

Stick the cuttings in pots that you can lift in and out as the weather dictates!

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I decided to pot up all of my new cuttings, along with those that have been in ground for a few weeks. Some were starting to root already. I also lifted a few 1' tall seedling crosses that I received as seed from Brenda and Kylie. I know they wouldn't make it this winter outside. So thanks for the advice, I think I was just in denial! LOL!
    kasha77

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County