Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time to get this Forum Lively 2

Posted by plantlover49 6B (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 19:01

Hi Eloise
I took your advise, here's the new Forum, in the Morning I'll post a couple Pic's
Hope to see everyone over here

Elizabeth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time to get this Forum Lively 2

And, I get to be the first to post here! We had a bit of rain yesterday, yay!

Lenette, I don't have beauty berry, but assume it will grow here. I'll have to look into that. That 'chicky' is gone, but I have 2 bantams, 2 barred rock and a 'noid' (lol!). Never got my marans. I will never get another bantam because the barred rocks pick on them so much.

Here's a brug cousin, Iochroma, that continues to bloom. It's a good 7-8 ft tall!

photo GW5_zps90776486.jpg

o

Eloise
that sure is a Pretty one, Yes you were the First to Post, you won't believe we had our First Hard Frost, this is what it does to Castor Bean Plants

Elizabeth

o

But it didn't Bother This Datura

Elizabeth

o

Brugs, Blooming in the Basement

Elizabeth

o

one more, the first one is Pink Perfection

Elizabeth

o

Was out of state for a couple of days. When we landed yesterday, we thought it was cold here last night! Isn't it a treat when brugs continue to bloom in spite of unfavorable conditions? I still haven't grown datura although I have some seeds somewhere. I love the red castor bean plant, and plan to plant some next season. This year us going by too quickly and I didn't do much in the way of real gardening.

o

Eloise
we got up to 66 degrees Yesterday, we thought that was Warm, I got the rest of my yard Cleaned up.
Welcome Home, I hope it was a Fun Trip, Yes the Brugs are amazing, if you need Castor Bean seeds or Datura Seeds, Just LMK, I have tons, I still have to get the Rest of them of the Plants
I have one of those long trimmers to get the ones at the Top
it started raining on me so I had to come in.

Elizabeth

o

Eloise I like your Iochroma! I had one a few yrs ago and it did great in a pot. Soon as I put it in the ground it immediately died. I haven't grown them since lol.

The only true bantam chickens I have are the Silkies and I recently got some English Chocolate Bantam Orpingtons. OMG! These are the sweetest little chickens on the earth lol. They are 5 mos old now. I got 4 girls and one boy. They are sooo tiny. They get seriously insulted if you don't pick them up to cuddle when they run up to you..even the little roo.

I used to grow the little purple ballerina daturas and keep them in pots. I had one for 4 yrs. I would put it in the greenhouse in the winter. Eventually it got nasty and I pitched it lol.
I bought some seeds of the triple white, double yellow, and Black Current Swirl larger daturas but I didn't plant them this year.
It was so rainy and nasty all summer I didn't do too much gardening either. The only things that performed really good were the bananas, peppers, basil, lemongrass, and pineapple sage.

That white brugmansia seedling that had developed the orange rim around the skirts of the flower has 4 new flowers on it and they are all blooming white with orange rims on the skirt openings too!!
That original flower I posted the pic of, is just now looking bad (shriveling), so it lasted for many days. They are pretty thick and waxy.

photo IMGP2364_zps9b849acc.jpg

photo IMGP2396_zps90f90eaf.jpg

The true Banana flowers (The honeybees love these!!)
 photo IMGP2363_zps70774be9.jpg

Tropical Hibiscus
Simple Pleasures
Simple Pleasures photo SimplePleasures.jpg

Joanne (older variety)
Joanne photo 100_2758.jpg

Don't know the name of this one, I will have to look through my records lol..got it as a standard at H. Depo about 5 yrs ago
Tropical Hibiscus photo Hibiscusstandard.jpg

Hurricane Lily (another older hibiscus)
Hurricane lily Hibiscus photo 100_3257.jpg

Not a true hibiscus. An Australian native. It has fuzzy geranium shaped leaves.
Alyogyne Huegelii (aka blue hibiscus)
Alyogyne huegelii photo 100_4170.jpg

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 11:24

o

Do any of you still have the Shredded White Brugmansia? I had it about 6 yrs ago. It died mysteriously. I need to find another one lol.

Here is mine when I had it <3. I think it came from Logees if I remember right. It had a very sweet honey scent with light lemony undertones.

Sredded White photo 000_2061.jpg

o

Elizabeth, it was a pleasure trip of sorts -- my gd had an interview for grad school and since she is still not of age, she can't rent a car to move around. Wish I had all the energy you do and get my garden back to how it used to be. I would love to get some castor bean seeds from you provided they are the red ones, thanks. BTW, somewhere I read you were looking for prickly pear pads; did you ever get them? I don't have the green ones, but I can send you a pad from my small purplish one, PLMK. I don't have a recent picture of the plant, but this is when I first brought my pads from AZ:

purple cactus pads photo gwpurplecactus.jpg

Lenette, what beautiful plants. Those hibiscus are beautiful, and your nanners look amazing. I still have shredded white, but always heard it was hard to root. I might have a smaller plant if I can figure out which pot it is in if you want it, or cuttings. My labels faded and most of my brugs have become 'noids'. Bet those bantams are cuties. Mine are called cochin batams, one black and one reddish-orangy. My youngest gd named them Jasmine and Ariel, of course!

o

Great Pic's SJN, I love to see so much color, Thank you for posting your Beauty's

Eloise
they are the Red Castor Beans, Girl I have so many, Yes Yes Yes I never have enough Prickly Pear, Last Night I had to help my Neighbor, she didn't get off work until 6 p.m. then it takes her almost an hour to get home, so I went over got her bowl of candy sit out for the little trick or treaters, then she got home a little after 7, so I sit out with her, rain & all
Girl send me via email your addy, I would love to have those Prickly Pear

o

Finally some more Blooms in the Basement

Elizabeth

o

another view, same Brug Bloom

Elizabeth

o

What beautiful color. Elizabeth, did you get my email?

o

what about that Shredded Brugmansia I like it as well and did have it at one time
Can't even recall just what happened to it

o

all of these plants are lovely.
Cb

o

Eloise
yes I just went to my email, so you have mail

CB
Thank you, we sure do love our Brugs don't we, Do you grow ginger's also, I just got a couple from a seller in Florida.
I have heard that they're very Fragrant
Elizabeth

o

Finally another one Blooming, I really like this one

Elizabeth

o

Same Blooming Brug, different shot, for a Pink it's still Pretty

Elizabeth

o

That's a pretty pink brug. I bet your basement is smelling good now.

Diane I think that shredded white (least the one I had) was originally a seedling found in Mexico. That was the info on the Logees website when I got it. It was an excellent bloomer.

Eloise. Yes I do remember it being a harder variety to root. Totally had forgotten about that lol.
I bet your little cochins are cuties. I like foot feathered breeds. My little silkies have foot feathering and I let them out to free range every few days and the first thing they do is run straight to this low spot (kinda a natural shallow pond) in our yard and start playing in the mud! Then their little feet get dried mudballs in the feathers lol.
Congrats to your grand daughter on grad school. I bet your are so proud. My oldest ds got a computer programming degree then decided that he wants to be a Pharm D instead so is now applying for that. Lots of hoops to jump through for him- getting LORs, volunteering, essays and interview drama lol!!

I love your Santa Rita (?) cactus. I used to have one like that in AZ. I remember they really liked to be dry. I had a pot of it here in FL and they totally rotted due to all the humidity. I need to build a shelter for succulents and cactus with a clear top and no sides. Some kinds do okay here out in the open and some don't. I have a pickly pear out in the yard and it is doing really well. Not sure what kind it is.

Elizabeth. I grow some different varieties of ginger. Some of the flowers are fragrant and some aren't. Most of them have fragrant leaves.
Hedychiums (butterfly gingers are usually fragrant). I will have to hunt down my pics of them. I bought several new hedychiums this year too but they haven't flowered yet.

o

Elizabeth, I have the Dr Moy Ginger with the variegated leaves
and the smell wonderfull.
Cb
 photo 100_6973.jpg

o

There is a shrub of the shredded brugmansia growing at the Naples Botanical Gardens, I just remembered That is in Naples, Florida
Gingers are good for sure. I find for myself, I am only in the south about half a year, the problem with having Gingers in the gardens, is that many of them bloom when I am not down there
I find dried up flowers on some of the plants when I get down so I know they have bloomed

For me an excellent planting is Bromeliads They seem to take care of themselves, which is great for me, and when I do get down to Florida, they, for the most part look as though I had been there tending them all the time.

Brugmansia in the gardens there, sometime manage on their own and I think they would be okay but it seems every couple of years I have someone new tending the gardens when I am away and they mostly don't know what any of the plants are and prune some to much, or dig them out or a variety of things. Not sure if sometimes they maybe just take a plant home with them As I do have some really nice stuff growing in these Florida gardens.

Sorry off the subject a little here.
Just get caught up in thinking gardens and I am on my way down there in about three weks time.i

o

Good morning Everyone
CB. that's the Ginger I just got, Now am Excited to see it Bloom, your Blooms are always Beautiful, I can imagine your Neighbors Just Love you, with all that Beauty
SJN
I used to have that Shredded white, don't know exactly what happened to it
Diane
Rant all you want, just shows you Love your Gardens
Elizabeth

o

Dr Moy is beautiful! ♥♥♥

o

Here is a Brug Bud, can't wait till it opens, gotta Love those Basement Blooms, lets me know that there is enough light down there

Elizabeth

o

This Pic isn't a Brug, but pretty , I love cut flowers also

Elizabeth

o

Eloise
if you see this, these are the Red Castor Beans drying
so you can see there are Plenty, there are still a few more I have to get, they also look good in a vase

Elizabeth

o

From seed this year first bloom

o

Wally
Welcome Great shot, I use to grow Datura's, I had that one & a Triple yellow, I wish I had kept some seeds, now I have seeds from a Huge white one
Thanks for posting yours
Elizabeth

o

I love the datura pic.

That castor bean looks like a fancy flower/foliage/pod arrangement! Those things sure can be spiky when they are dry. I put mine in a paper bag and gently smashed them with my shoe to get the dry pods open when I grew them lol. Mine were dry all the way (brown) and they hurt!

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 14:17

o

What's blooming in my yard :)

Pineapple sage. This sure is doing well this year.
 photo IMGP3180_zps86f7224c.jpg
Clerodendrum ugandense (Butterfly clerodendrum)
 photo IMGP3173_zps50386421.jpg

Acalypha hispida (Chenille plant)
 photo IMGP3174_zpsd4fb0f75.jpg
Asclepias tuberosa (Butterfly weed)
 photo IMGP3175_zpsda9e837a.jpg
It is cloudy today so the flowers on these two are still open from last night.
Cestrum Nocturnum (Night Blooming Jasmine)
 photo IMGP3178_zps4e7ff37e.jpg

Nycanthes Arbor trystis (Indian Night Jasmine)
 photo IMGP3179_zps19b9d79d.jpg

Tree Rose -Blue Girl (I keep it potted)
 photo IMGP3171_zpscc24edb7.jpg

Looky, the pervo- perverted looking vine ( Aristolochia gigantea 'brasiliensis') is making another flower lol... It starts out so tiny!
 photo IMGP3152_zps53cfca8a.jpg

It will be like this (older photo) when it is fully bloomed (Emily Mckenzie brug next to it that is @ 22 inches long)
 photo vineandMEM_zpse2ffe180.jpg

o

Some Colocasias
Mojito
 photo IMGP3184_zpsa9e44266.jpg
Limeaid
 photo IMGP3181_zps6108e40d.jpg
Ele Paio (aka Milky Way)
 photo IMGP3182_zps8fbc1311.jpg

Peaco photo IMGP3183_zpsc69530ad.jpgck Ginger

Costus speciosus (Crepe ginger) Making seed pods
 photo IMGP3177_zpsf65c0d70.jpg

o

Silkie Babies (Blue Partridge)
 photo IMGP3144_zps9b331f6d.jpg
Yellow (I put the white paper in the background to show color)
 photo IMGP3167_zpsa40b8018.jpg
Orange
 photo IMGP3136_zps61b1f8ff.jpg

o

I am so pleased to see the pictures you have posted

My gardens in FLorida are a joy to me. But I am up north si months of the year and miss seeing the bloom on some of my plants
Seeing your photos give me an idea of what might be blooming just now in my gardens
I must watch your postings year round I hate missing out on the bloom of my plants Especially the gingers bloom mostly when I am not there
.Thanks that last brugmansia posted looks quite a fany one

o

The yellow double brug is very nice. Very nice pictures so
please keep posting.
Cb

o

Elizabeth, beautiful display of arrangements! The red castor bean pods look amazing - can't wait to start some. I too like having flowers or cuttings of lavender in vases, but sometimes I'm just too busy that I forget to do this or to just sit and enjoy them in the house. Glad you are still able to enjoy some blooms in the basement.

Oh those chickies are soooooooo cute, Lenette! I can just see how they would be with muddy feathered legs! My Mojito is also doing well and I have it next to a black one so it really stands out. The Aristolochia is spectacular. I tried growing them, but failed miserably. I must say so as to not discourage others from growing all these beautiful plants, most times for the failure is my own. Beautiful brugs, and the pineapple sage is lovely. I was finally able to keep one going in a pot that is right outside my back door.

Diane, hope you are able to get to your Florida garden soon.

Wally, please resend your email. It went into spam and I deleted it since I didn't know who you were.

A great day to all!

o

I thought I would post of few of my Coleus and a few other
plants around the yard. Although I grow many brugs and plants their are always room in my garden for me and the family to eat off the land. Collards and Cabbage, Bell peppers and a few rutabagas.
Cb
 photo 100_2570_zps82cb1f5e.jpg photo 100_2569_zps061d9ae1.jpg
 photo 100_2567_zpsc4019b06.jpg photo 100_2565_zpsac722bf2.jpg
 photo 100_2566_zpsd0d031e2.jpg photo 100_2563_zps29b5ad8d.jpg
 photo 100_2562_zpsf8af2e0a.jpg photo 100_2591_zps6581bce2.jpg photo 100_2592_zpsae6184c5.jpg
 photo 100_2586_zps2827f511.jpg photo 100_2584_zpsc8381f8a.jpg
 photo 100_2582_zps1fbdb41f.jpg photo 100_2583_zps65f0128a.jpg
 photo 100_2581_zps8890f477.jpg photo 100_2580_zps05e88d4c.jpg
 photo 100_2581_zps8890f477.jpg photo 100_2579_zpsf13c37f3.jpg
 photo 100_2578_zpsc4e53631.jpg photo 100_2575_zpse3bfad3b.jpg
 photo 100_2568_zpsebbdd754.jpg

o

my oh my, what Beautiful Post, Hello to Everyone, I have been Busy today, it was bill Paying day. All the Pic's are Beautiful.
I have some Blooming in the Basement, I'll have to post Pic's
in the Morning.
Eloise
I got the Cacti, Thank you so Much, your Seeds will be in the mail, in the morning, I have to pick up the bubble mailer
Elizabeth

o

Good Morning
here are some Pic's, I caught this Beautiful Sky

o

one more

o

Blooming Brug in the Basement

Elizabeth

o

Here's a Pic, of my tulip Tree with her fall colors

Elizabeth

o

I love the snap shot of that beautiful Tulip tree.
Cb

o

CB
would you believe, the squirrels planted it, nature is amazing, they have also planted countless maple trees & a couple walnut trees. Thank you I am Glad you like it
Elizabeth

o

CB, love your veggie garden! My broccoli sure didn't look like that, LOL!

Elizabeth, beautiful sunrise and that Tulip tree! Glad you got the cacti and will let you know when I get the seeds. BTW, did you check your emails -- I sent you the name of those prickly pear pads. I got to say this, I almost abbreviated prickly pear, but thought it would read funny :-)

o

Diane- Where in FL do you reside part time? I am in NE FL so I am usually a few weeks behind in bloom time than the others further south of me. I also have to put my tropical stuff into the greenhouse durng the winter. They bloom in there but the yard looks pretty boring then lol.

CB your edible winter garden looks amazing! I want to see your fountain! lol. Is it swans?
DH and the kids got me this cute baby elephant fountain off CL (I had been looking for one like it for quite some time). It is concrete with a large concrete bowl, similar to the one your fountain has. The baby elephant is painted with latex paint and peeling so I need to scrape that down and seal it somehow. I love fountains!

Elizabeth- Love those sunset pics and the fall colors there.

o

I have yard work outside to do this Saturday but being a bit of a weenie I guess As it is cold outside and even a bit of snow flurries So here I am reading garden web again.
Do have a fancy pumpkin cheesecake in the oven though (is made with squash rather than pumpkin from my garden)

I am down in Fort Myers Florida so is pretty fantastic winter weather.

I brought up this expensive dragon concrete pond feature from FLorida

Has been in my yad now about five years In the pond and works neat
Is a beige colour that is now worn. I had an offer from quite an artist type lady to paint it which I am sure would look fantastic but I thought the same, it might peel So have left it as the poured colour is.

My son and a friend lift it out of the pond and bring it into the garage, each fall They did so last week I think it could be just lifted out of the pond and sat beside it on the ground and covered. But I think my son, Graham, wants to ensure that it is not damaged for many years and he might at some point inherit it himself.

I am enjoying all the pictures as well I have to start doing pictures and get posting them I would love to see my pictures and show off
Just seems some of us when getting older, or rather have gotten older, I am almost 70, which isn't that old. Put off learning new things. I know if I get doing pictures and posting them I will for sure do so often.

o

Eloise- glad your Mojito is doing well. I went a little crazy buying some small starts of colocasia/alocasias this year. I had to replace some that didn't make it when we moved.
I got several little ones that I am slowly potting up until they get big enough to put in the ground. Two that I really like are Puckered Up and Black Coral they are similar looking but the Puckered one has very puckered leaves.

Here are some ginger pics of some of the gingers I grow. Most do go dormant in the winter here.

Globba Gingers sometimes called Dancing Ladies (not fragrant..Blooms May/June to November) Dormant in the winter. Zones 8-10. I have mine potted and just let the pots dry and put in a storage shed stacked until spring. I could leave them in the ground here but we get armadillos and possums that like to dig up my ginger bulbs and eat them.

Globba Ginger Sangria -has red undersides on foliage.

Sangria globba photo sangria_zpsf085b5b8.jpg

BLue Hawaii
Blue Hawaii Globba photo BlueHawaiigingerglobba_zps22c01fa3.jpg

White Dragon
Globba white dragon photo Whitedragon.jpg

Globba winitii
Dancing Ladies photo DancingLadies.jpg

Close up of the little yellow flowers. The pollen is under the 'tail' of this scorpion looking flower.
Globba Dancing Ladies photo Gingerflower-1.jpg

Kaemferia Grande aka Peacock Ginger

The flowers come first
Kaemferia Grande flowers photo 100_4501.jpg

Then the foliage. The undersides of the leaves are dark maroon.
Kaemferia Grande photo KaemferiaGrande.jpg

Here is a white hedychium bloom aka butterfly ginger. Intensely fragrant. I also have some other butterfly gingers (Elizabeth, Pink V, Anne Bishop) but they aren't blooming yet

Cherries Jubilee Allamanda photo WhiteGinger.jpg

o

Here is some plain old grocery store ginger root. They have green cones and the leaves and cones are very fragrant (smell like ginger) when squeezed. The name is Zingiber officinale Zones 8-12 Tiny whitish yellow flowers emerge from the cones. It is easy to get it to flower in a small pot. I think this one was a 3 gallon nursery pot.
 photo GroceryStoreGinger.jpg

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 12:31

o

SJN, Very Pretty, I can't wait till next Spring to see mine in Bloom

Eloise
your Seeds are on the way, I mailed them out Yesterday, it's a nice size package, so you should have plenty next year.
well Ladies, it's Beautiful out today, much to be done, Have a Great Evening

Elizabeth

o

Thanks Elizabeth, looking forward to the seeds. It was a beautiful day yesterday, but I didn't do any yard-work. Went to a seminar at our local nursery, then bought a few plants :-)

Wow, those gingers are fantastic, Lenette! I am so encouraged to take better care of my store bought eating ginger now that I see yours. I think mine is in too small a pot and hasn't thrived that much, but it is growing although it's not a very attractive plant, see:
Guess we have no choice on size of picture because I shrunk my original one several times and it always post here this size :-(

o

Diane- your dragon fountain sounds awesome. I'd like to see it next time you have it set up. I use photobucket to post pics. Its the simplest for me.

Eloise- This is the time of year most of the gingers start going dormant. I tried growing some of the grocery store ginger in the ground this year in the garden but something kept digging it up and eating it grrr. It seems like they were doing really well until that happened. I would like to have a lot of roots growing so we could use them for cooking.

I can't believe I didn't see this until the other day! It is a seedpod that is growing on one of my NOID Rainbow plumeria that smells just like night blooming jasmine. I wonder what pollinated it?
Rainbow plumeria seed pod photo IMGP3108_zpse4b05428.jpg

o

Good morning
here is Super Spot Blooming in the Basement, it's also Fragrant

Elizabeth

o

another Brug Bloom, that hasn't yet colored up all the way, but it's Blooming

Elizabeth

o

I do just so much enjoy the fragrance of Brugmansia
Some people do not like it

I am hooing that when I get down to Florida there might be blooms on some of my plantings of Brugmansia there.

Or at least that the plants have survived while I have been up north

Ladies and gentlemen when you bring your Brugmansia indoors do you not take the leaves off the plants. Or is white fly not a problem in spring.

o

I like that Super Spot!

Diane..some people cut their brugs back when they store them. If you are planning to bring a brug inside and keep it growing you need to leave some leaves on for photosynthesis purposes. When I lived in a colder climate and overwintered some indoors. I stripped off some leaves and left some on and usually treated with NEEM or a soap-oil spray about a week before I brought them in. I had more trouble with aphids and spider mites indoors than whitefly. In my greenhouse it is whitefly and aphids in the spring and just the aphids in the winter grrr.

Yesterday we put up new 60"inch horse fencing around the garden to hopefully keep the farm critters out better.
I am expanding the front of it out about 10 ft. and hauling compost in there. It is sure a lot of work.

Here is what is blooming this morning:
Daydreams
DD photo DD_zpsd0d49e78.jpg

More Daydreams with nosy roosters trying to see if I have treats for them.
 photo Daydreams_zps8d25c264.jpg

Salmon Perfection- just starting to color up. It grew about 9ft. The giant pipevine grew up it and is all over the branches and I can't reach it lol.
*If you look at the bottom center of this picture you can see another one of those giant pipe vine flowers starting.
 photo SalmonPerfectionandpipevine_zpsebe0da78.jpg

Naughty Nick just starting to bloom. It will get darker orange.
N Nick photo NN_zpsbdc61e83.jpg

Here is that pipe vine flower I posted last week. It sure grows fast! I have counted about 5 on the vine so far and most are in very inconvenient spots where it hangs down over where we walk and we have to move the vine to walk by. I am going to have to think of a way to tie it up.
 photo Avine_zps153b20c8.jpg

Just a few other plants with interesting foliage
 photo 1108091535_zps1362ae73.jpg
 photo 1108091538_zps1170d223.jpg
 photo 1106091607_zps3ba23d0e.jpg

photo ponds_zpsf0e2b34e.jpg

photo eggs054_zps6cac1aa2.jpg

o

oops double post

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 11:38

o

Here is that baby elephant fountain. It sure is a mess!! It does work though. It came with 2 little plaster elephants that are also painted with latex and peeling. I have had it about a year and have done nothing with it! LOL
I am going to get it cleaned up and sealed this winter-maybe I can get the kids to help me.
I like the concrete look better than the painted, I think and will prob just try and figure out what kind of a clear sealer to put on it. Has anyone else done a project like this? Any tips?
 photo IMGP1897_zpsc9aa97a7.jpg

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 11:44

o

Very nice pictures.
Cb

o

Good evening CB, always Great to see you
Great Pic's SJN
Dianne
I sure hope you see Blooms when you get back to fla.
I remove most of the Big Leaves, some smaller one I leave one
but you do fight aphids in winter, I am trying something new, I am going to wash off the Leaves with a cloth, with Murphys oil soap
mix with a little water
Elizabeth

o

I love the jungle look, Lenette! You are expanding your garden, and here I can't keep up with my small lot. That rooster is so beautiful. Wish I could have one, but one of my neighbors complains too much. Sorry, no experience with how to paint/seal your elephant fountain, but perhaps an aquatic place can help, a nursery or google.

Elizabeth, got the seeds, thanks. To my surprised, I forgot that the seeds are actually bean-like!

Trying to grow lotus from a dry lotus pod. Here's one of the containers of seedlings so far. Hope I can keep them growing over winter.

o

Growing lotus plants from the seed pod, the dry seed pod boy that is interesting

I have wanted, for a few years to put Lotus plants in my Dragon pond. I would have to bring the plants in during winter though but would be willing to do so
Is difficult to find Lotus plants for sale up here in Canada But I did see some this summer. They wanted $75.00 for each plant. I thought that was just to much not knowing if they would overwinter in my cold sunroom If I can find some seeds when down in FLorida I will give this idea a try
How long ago did you plant those seeds Eloise?
I do bring my Brugmansia indoors into this cold sunroom for winter I do cut them back and do take all the leaves off.Have Dahlia, Cannas and a number of other bulbed type plants in the sun room as well
They are of course all dormant and in large pots with nothing above ground showing.
I do not water anything Well can not do so as I am not there One or another of my kids will come by once inawhile, and that is not very often at all and put some water on my Brugmansia plants But they are pretty well dormant I do not, according to the family get any white fly etc. And by the time I come back to Canada from Florida the family have all the big pots outside. End of April.
I find it interesting how much cold Brugmansia can actually take. Not to bloom really but to survive.

Those tropical photos sure make me wishing to be down in Florida and see how all of my neat stuff is doing. You know we have had this spot south for 15 years. It took me quite a few years to learn what plants will manage without much care for six months and look good even when I get back down there
I am quite proud of these gardens. That I have created. Lots of people come by to have a look I am in a community and some people in the park when having friends visit actually bring them over to look at my gardens.
They label my yard as the Botanical Gardens of Poinsettia Park.

Yes, I am boasting. Sorry But I am proud and happy that I will be down there soon
Right now though there are a few inches of snow on my Canadian gardens.
Thanks again for those mighty fine tropical photos
Nice to see the gingers in bloom I miss the bloom, as I said, on mine.

o

Here are some pics of our edible garden last year. It does have a wild tropical look to it.
This year it rained so much it looked terrible so I didn't take pics lol. Anyhow you can see that we were just using partial metal fencing and partial plastic garden fence and so the critters could easily hop in there and help themselves lol. We still havested quite a bit though and made lots of salsa.
Next year should be a lot better since we got the 60 inch fencing up.

photo IMGP2286_zps19ab5c5b.jpg

photo IMGP2282_zpsa363dfe2.jpg

photo IMGP2281_zps8de5c00a.jpg

photo IMGP2283_zps8e90e8cc.jpg

photo IMGP2279_zpscc43e1a6.jpg

photo IMGP2278_zps65673535.jpg

o

WOW, what a Garden you have SJN, I bet you'll be Happy when it looks like that again.
Eloise
I am so Glad you got your Seeds, DH told me not to get those Beans mixed up with the pinto beans, I have all the castor beans in a quart jar, they are so easy to clean, once they are totally dry
Diane
I do hope you'll Post Pic's when you're back in Florida, I would Love to see your Gardens
Elizabeth

o

Oh what a spectacular food garden! I too did better last year. Not sure what happened this year -- maybe I'm just older and slower, LOL! Lenette, have you had fruit from your papaya? I see trees around here, but I seem to kill my starter plants I get from our group. I thought I finally had one growing, but then it keeled over and the bottom was mushy -- maybe I over-water.

Elizabeth, I can see why hubby said not to mix the seeds. They do look similar, lol! I am really looking forward to next season for planting them.

Diane, I found a blog re. the lotus seeds. The person went to Holly Hobbie for lotus pods. I went to Michael's because there's not a HH close to me. I paid under $8 for a 'bouquet' of three lotus pods. It's easy to sprout the seeds; hopefully it's easy to keep them going. Here's a quick lesson on what I did: Pry seeds from pods with a knife. File the end until you see a bit of 'cream' color (filing is hard because the seeds are so darn hard). Put seeds in a container with warm water (I used a plastic soda bottle). Change water each day. When sprouted, plant on temp container until there are more leaves and ready to plant outside. I put my seeds in water on Oct. 17 and they sprouted quickly. If anyone is interested, I can look for that blog and post it here. Here's a picture of the bottle where I still have some seeds that haven't sprouted. Not a pretty setup, but hey, it's working!

o

Oops, it's Hobby Lobby! No wonder there isn't one close to me, or anyone else for that matter, LOL!

o

There is hobby lobby in Florida I know Have been in it

Will look for lotus seeds when I am down there for sure

yes do post about how to handle the seeds. WiIsh you would keep us informed of how the seeds or plants are growing
Kind of exciting
Yes I must get doing pictures and post them I would really enjoy to have my pictures on Garden Web A picture says 1000 words.

o

Good afternoon
Eloise & Dianne
there a Huge Lake, that's about 45 minute drive from here that DD SIL I go to, to collect Lotus seedpods, for painting them to use on the Christmas Tree, a lot of them still have the seeds in them do you think they would still be good to plant ?or should we go back to get Fresh one's, note to self wear rubber boots, so you don't lose your shoe's & socks in the Mud, Like we did last year
Elizabeth

o

There are lots of sites to get info on growing/sprouting lotus, but this is the one where I read to buy pods from hobby lobby: http://chubbysgarden.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth, wish I lived close to that lake! Yes, those seeds are viable. The ones I got from Michael's came from china and some of the seeds were even glued in. I am certain the pods I bought are old, but they still sprouted! Would be interesting to see what color the bloom is, if I even get a bloom. A lady at UCLA was growing lotus from ancient days and the seeds still sprouted. Love your note to self, LOL!

o

Eloise
Then, I'll give it a try, I'll go through the bag of seedspods, just to see how many seeds are in there, would you like some
I should have extra's, just LMK, I'll be more than glad to share with you

Elizabeth

o

Checking out the pics, ladies and gentleman :):) They're
ALL so very beautiful...overwhelming!!
Jasmine..I want to play 'Hide and Seek' in you garden.
From CB's...I'll just take a few things. Eloise, find a chair
for me to enjoy the brugs. Keep posting 'cause I'll be
lurking around.
Jasmine, where may I order the Australian hibiscus??
To die for blue....love blues.
Eloise... I mailed your pkg on Wed. Have a great weekend.

Margaret

o

Margaret
Good morning, it's good to see you post here, How's your weather? hope it's better than mine.
this weekend were are suppose to have a warm up, can't wait for that.
Have a Great weekend
Elizabeth

o

pearlgirl, They are even bluer in person. My camera doesn't capture blue too well for some reason lol!
I am not sure where online has the Australian Hibiscus aka Alyogyne huegelii plant.
I found mine at either Lowes or H. Depo (can't remember which one) years ago. It hadn't made too many seedpods over the years but the seeds are fairly easy to start if you soak them in hot water overnight before you plant them. Georgiavines.com has the seeds sometimes at a reasonable price.
Make sure to put a small layer of sand over the seedlings' soil once they emerge and don't keep them too damp to prevent them from 'damping off'.
Since they are Australian plants and don't care for too much humidity or roots being too wet once they are past the seedling stage. I let mine dry out before watering again.

Eloise. Yes I do get fruit from the papayas if they form early enough. If they come later like they usually do then they don't seem to develop enough even if I move the plant into the greenhouse (in the case of the potted dwarf varieties). Red Lady is one of the easiest to get to fruit and stays small enough you can reach them. I believe it also has both female and male flowers on the same plant.
I love papaya flowers. They smell just like Fruit Loops lol!

This is a taller one we had growing.
papaya fruit photo 100_7642.jpg

Here is a smaller one that sprouted up next to the big one.
female papaya photo 100_7641.jpg

o

Elizabeth, yes if you have enough seeds. Have you seen the lotus bloom at the lake?

Thanks Margaret, will let you know when it arrives. Did you get my package?

Wish I was your neighbor Lenette. I would climb over the fence and partake of that papaya, lol! Just beautiful. I like to eat papaya with some lime juice on it.

o

Eloise
I'll get busy & find them for you, I know I have some in the Basement .also some in the Garage, my DD only has Sunday & Wednesdays off, Hopefully Wednesday, we can make the Trip to the Lake, to gather more

Elizabeth

o

Sorry.......Yes, I did get you package. I'm reviving it a bit before I try to root it. I cut it up a bit more and it seems to
be coming around. I'm going to try root tone.
Got your email....Thanks!

Jasmine, I'll use that seed ordering info.

Margaret

o

Elizabeth, don't rush, whenever is fine.
Well not much happening here in CA, but I will post these pictures of blooming b. Mountain Magic, MM with p. Incense and Lion's Tail (towards end of season) just for the heck of it. Happy Sunday :-)
 photo 32863267-c6f1-4a30-aabc-d4e65968f468_zpsc821eebc.jpg photo 14a1cd8b-6237-495f-bc8c-ed3e7d7702f8_zpse3705fb5.jpg photo 19103aee-6580-4975-a518-9a09a4d8c129_zps89fde98f.jpg

o

Eloise
Just Beautiful, I Love to see Blooming Plants, it's Gloomy here raining, but it's not Cold, so I'll just enjoy the inside.
I should be able to send you some Seeds, next week, they Bloom Yellow

Elizabeth

o

Eloise
I did find all my Lotus Seedpods, here is a Pic of them Before I paint them, Yes there are a lot of Seeds

Elizabeth

o

another pic

o

Whoa Elizabeth, wish I had posted about lotus before I went out and bought the pods, LOL! Those are a lot of seeds alright.

o

Very neat lotus pods! Cool project too, growing the seeds in water. I grew lotus and they made just a few seeds and I just threw them back into the water but I don't know if they really ever sprouted. Maybe I should have filed them.

Eloise- Beautiful garden flowers!

Here is what I found when I went outside this morning!!!

DUCKY BABIES!!
(There are 6 of them but I can never seem to get them all in one photo lol.)
 photo babyducks11-2013_zpsdec8ef2b.jpg

photo muscovybabies_zps38b3dad7.jpg

Here is my yellow seedling blooming again.
 photo yseed_zps90412aa1.jpg

photo yelloww_zps7016f716.jpg

Salmon Perfection - blooms still coloring up
 photo salmonperf_zps1a877f65.jpg

Red Passionflower (vitifolia) blooming today
 photo IMGP3256_zpsd1f264ca.jpg

o

Great pics! I love seeing everyone's plants!

That red Passion flower is pretty amazing!

Mark

o

Ladies

You make me happy
You know that old song or maybe you are not old enough
You make me happy ,when skies are grey "You are my sunshine"

Looking at the brug pictures and then the lotus pods and then baby ducks Oh what a nice morning treat it is.
I was further north to visit a grandson in University Boy was it even colder than here. So nice sitting in my sunny kitchen this morning, with coffee, good coffee overlooking my now frozen ponds and back yard flower beds. Still a bit of winterizing to do that I may or may not get done before heading to FLorida
Did love a little time with grandson Zack, of whom I am so proud.
Even brought him a Christmas tree for his apartment
Now getting off topic

I wanted to mention that at the beginning of this posting Elizabeth maybe mentioned the Beauty Bush plant. There is a mature plant of it growing near to me in FLorida and it is beautiful to behold. I have taken cuttings, but never had any luck in getting them to take. Must buy a plant but I do not have much room for more plants. It is a problem for sure Or maybe take something out
Those lotus pods were so good to see I took a photo of your photo which I have learned to do, and sent it to my daughter, Grace.
I am going to watch for some seeds once I cross the border and give this a go

Love those Brugmansia photos for sure.
I just hope my plants are doing okay in the Florida
gardens What a treat that will be if there is bloom on them
I must then get learning how to put the pictures up for you to see
I have red passion flower in the gardens in Florida and it grows just crazy Spreading even to much

o

Those baby ducks are so cute! Interesting coloring on the mom, what kind of duck is she? Here we only see the mallards and white (Pekings?) ducks. I like that brug seedling. Looks like the edge of the petals are a bit darker. Always wanted a red passiflora. There was a banana plantation by the beach and the fruit stand, which was a fairly large building, would be totally covered by a passiflora with large, red blooms. Wish I had thought about asking its name. They closed down several years ago.

o

i never knew passion flower could grow so much but sure doe in my yard as well

o

The ducks are Muscovy ducks. They don't quack. Instead, they hiss or make this loud hard breathing noise. I have been outside at night and heard loud heavy breathing sounds coming from the bushes and its a good thing I knew it was those ducks LOL! They come in all colors. Some people are breeding lavender.
Here is one of our young males named Ozzy:
 photo Ozzy.jpg
They have huge red bumps, kinda mask-like, on their faces. They are originally from South America and run feral all over Florida. Their name derives from Musco because they eat mosquitoes. Ours love to eat mosquito larva and snap the adult mosquitoes from the air. They also eat flies and whatever other bugs they can get. They lay eggs seasonally,usually only when they want to hatch babies. Their eggs are very good -not gritty or grainy and work great for baking.

The males get quite large almost goose size but with shorter legs. Some scientists say they are actually closer to geese than ducks.

The first time the kids saw some feral Muscovies at the gas station begging for treats, they described them to me as half vulture and half goose LOL! They Are raised as meat ducks by some and we did butcher some males last year. I think they taste like pheasant.

o

Good evening
what a Day, I have no Hot water, my Hot water heater, went out, I have to wait till tomorrow, to get the part to fix it. a Good thing though my hibiscus, Bloomed, I almost left it out, it didn't Bloom outside, but when I brought it in, it Bloomed, it's nice to have anything Blooming

Elizabeth

o

seems there is always something goes wrong

I gave up on growing hibiscus in Florida

But, in Canada have a 60 plus foot long edge of various coloured Rose of Sharon that are for sure eye catching. and need no care what so ever

enjoyed to see the duck pictures and hear about them

o

I have read that duck eggs are 'cleaner' than chicken eggs, but most ducks quack too loud and my neighbors would surely complain. I liked hearing that Muscovies don't quack, but then you mentioned that hissing and loud breathing. My neighbors would wonder what was going on in my backyard, LOL!

Hope you get the water heater fixed quickly Elizabeth. That's a beautiful hibiscus! The coloring is like Raspberry sherbert :-)

o

Thanks Ladies
well the water heater is being fixed, I now Know why that one in particular, has a Class action Law suit, it ended up costing $431.00 to get it fixed, but now it's done, Yippee
onto other things. have a Great Evening.
I also love the Pic's of those Ducks

Elizabeth

o

I love that pink hibiscus. Do you know the name of it?

o

SJN
I wish I did have a name for it, I got it at the end of the Season sale at Lowes, no one there seems to know much about any Plants, I was offerred a job there Several time's. I had to decline, I am having to much fun being Retired.
I am surprized with all those Beauy's that you have, that you don't have one just like it
before I forget, Have a Very Happy Thanksgiving, that goes for Everyone else also
Elizabeth

o

It froze hard last night here. I wasn't able too do to much as far as getting everything put away. I just had to throw some sheets over everything. Some stuff got really burnt anyways. I did manage to get the small pots and seedlings put up.
Bad time for a first freeze -during the holidays lol.
Now the temps are supposed to go back up for a week so maybe most of it will bounce back. Stuff looked really sad out there this morning. I hate that 'wet kleenex look' where the leaves turn that dark green/black color lol. The stems look okay.

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Thu, Nov 28, 13 at 18:59

o

SJN
I am sorry to hear That, I sure hope you didn't lose anything, it is so Early for you to get that Low temps this Early.
I hope you had a Great Thanksgiving in spite of the weather.
A Great Brug grower Lives in Florida, near orlando area, I think for the last 3 yrs, he had a field of Brugs frozen, even though he had the sprinkler running they still looked like cooked Spinach
it was so sad looking, I sure hope yours doesn't look like that
Elizabeth

o

Yep cooked spinach sounds about right lol. Not all the leaves are burnt. Some are much worse than others though. Buds and all stems look good and some are still blooming with ugly nasty leaves. They will surely all survive.
I have been slowly digging up the smallest ones the last few days gradually making my way up to the largest. I usually leave some of the really large more established brugs in the ground.

I got all my vines dug up and moved except the huge pipe vine that is wrapped around Salmon Perfection. I am going to have to cut down half of S.P. to get it off of there.
I am experimenting with one of my double rangoon creeper vines this year. It is in the ground. It came back from the root on its own after last winter (very mild winter) so I am leaving it to see if it survives again.

Some of the plumeria leaves got burnt but none are turning yellow and falling off this year.
Its really strange because usually here in 9a FL (the last 5 yrs) they would all be going dormant by now. They are still green except the burnt spots. Some are still trying to make inflos and flowers. They don't wanna go to bed!!

o

Elizabeth, glad you got your water heater fixed although at a pretty penny :-( My oven went out so I need to call someone to come fix it. It has one of those electrical ignitors that lights up, but the gas won't kick in. I just hate dealing with this kind of stuff.

Hope your weather improved for your plants, Lenette. Cooked spinach doesn't sound too appealing in plants. We had a bit of rain here, and it sure was a welcomed sight, although we need more.

Ate too much for Thanksgiving, but I worked some of that off yesterday. Cut down to about 5 feet, a variegated duranta that had grown way too high past the roof-line. Now to get rid of all those cuttings, ugh. Still need to cut down other tree-like bushes so I can string up my Christmas lights around the house.

o

Eloise
do you have seeds from that Datura,
? I would love to have some
I have never seen a varigated, Datura
I am so Glad you had a Great Thanksgiving, I was working my Dinner off also, got the Christmas Tree out of the Attic & Decorated it, now I only have 4 more to do. my DD can't beleive that I have so many Trees, but this is my Favorite season
Elizabeth

o

Sorry Elizabeth, don't have datura, it's a duranta. But, there are some seeds on that plant; just don't know how viable they are.

Christmas is a very special time for me as well. Unfortunately, I have now stopped putting up a Christmas tree. I love the fresh trees and they have gotten so outrageously expensive that I didn't put one up last year. My dd got me a huge poinsettia that I added Christmas lights to, will probably do the same this year. So you do 5 trees!

o

Eloise
I use to have 2 big duranta's I sold them at a my plant sale
I had to many Brugs, that needed the Space, I'll get your Seeds out to you as soon as I find the baggies, to put them in a Bubble mailer. Here's one of my Christmas Trees

Elizabeth

o

I like your tree. Wow that is a lot of work to do 5 trees!

Eloise, the poinsettia with lights sounds lovely. What a neat idea. I might try one if I can find a large enough one. I was thinking about finding a potted tree fern and decorating that and that way I could keep it after the season is over. I have been wanting to get a tree fern anyways hehe.

Grrr buds fell off of Pink Magic, Freckles, Lady Kathryn, Mountain Magic, Tiara,Wretched Mess, and worst of all, several seedlings that were finally gonna bloom for the first time so now I have to move them all into the gh so they can get buds again.
I had thought the buds were gonna be alright because they looked really good for a few days after the frost but then just started dropping today.

On a good note, I found several seedpods on my Indian Night Jasmine (Nycanthes arbor-trystis). Here is a link to what the seedpods look like that I took a few yrs ago. They look like little green catcher's mitts.
Look at the top right of the photo
Nyctanthes Arbortristis Seed Pod photo 100_7713.jpg

o

Pretty tree Elizabeth. You do a great job in decorating. I'm sure your family love being at your home and enjoying all you do in love!

Don't know if you have a Costco close to you Lenette, but that is where my dd buys the huge poinsettia. I planted last year's one in the ground and is currently blooming although the blooms aren't that large. Sorry the buds fell off your brugs and seedlings before they opened up. Weather is weird. Beautiful jasmine -- bet it smells divinely!

o

Eloise
Thank you, I have Super Spot Blooming again, I brought it up from the Basement to put in front of the window in my Kitchen,
I am so Glad I did there was a Slug all comfy in the soil, well it went for a Swim. here the Bloom

Elizabeth

o

Spectacular color on SS, Elizabeth! Decorated anymore trees?

o

Super Spot is looking nice!

I will check out Costco for the poinsettias. Thanks for the tip!

I found a beautiful double orange bloom today on a tall seedling that I had behind one of our outbuildings out back. It was hiding under the roof overhang so it didn't freeze and fall off lol. I will try and get the pic of it up tomorrow. It has a nice long bloom, it is way above my head though so I can't smell it. Seems like almost every brug I grew this year got way taller than me lol.

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 18:37

o

Eloise
I now have 5 trees decorated, was going to do the Cedar Tree out Front, I have most of the Seed Pods, drilled & painted.
but I now have to wait till the Snow on it melts to do that one
here is why

Elizabeth

o

Brrrrrrrr, makes me cold just looking at snow. I can see why you have to wait to decorate that one!

o

Elizabeth...that sparks an idea to bring a blooming brug
inside for a while. Every time that I open the garage, there
is always something blooming...only for a while, though.

Jasmine, what is the name of the dbl orange prize that
you found? Are there any nurseries in Florida that sell
nice brugs?
Eloise....the dbl yel cutting is on its way. I'm rooting a couple for trade. Let me know if it does ok for you.
My hibiscus is leafing back out...thanks again.

Margaret

o

Good Morning Everyone
after it warms up at least to about 32 today I hope to get that Cedar tree Decorated, I have almost all the seed pods painted
Margaret
that a Great idea Bring those Babies in then take a Pic, I would Love to see what you have Blooming.
here is one of mine Blooming in the Basement
I hope Everyone is Staying warm
Elizabeth

o

Here is the pic of the orange seedling before it colored up all the way. It is one of my crosses and doesn't have a name yet lol. It colored up nice and dark orange but then fell off before I got another picture of it. I will have to take some more when it blooms again.
 photo IMGP3260_zps7b7ca3dc.jpg

I found this passion fruit (next to a olive colored egg for size comparison) in the greenhouse. The only passiflora that was next to the gh all summer and the branches sneaked in through the sides was the Ruby Glow. Kinda weird.

photo IMGP3258_zpsd0a6c8e1.jpg

Hawaiian Bell Vine blooming in the gh.
 photo IMGP3263_zps32309bdb.jpg

o

Nice, Nice Nice, I really Like your Cross, I also like the comparison, that's a nice size Egg, I just got some Fresh Fruit from a Friend that lives in Fla, it was Great, you're so Lucky to have Fresh Fruit this time of year.
mostly I get mine from Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, oh, it's about 15 minutes from here, they import all kinds of things.
have to make a Trip down there tomorrow, get ready for the next cold weather, Today it warmed up from 1 degree to 17 degrees
Elizabeth

o

Jasmine...that is such a lovely brug. When it grows up,
the first cutting is mine...kidding :):). I ordered some
doubles for spring shipping. I'm always up for a good
trade, though. ...right Elizabeth??
Margaret

o

I am enjoying reading along and seeing all your photos. We have had unusually cold weather here but a heat wave of 13 degrees F today so will do some shopping. May pick up a poinsettia at the nearby Costco. We go there a couple of times a week for indoor walking.

Love the brug blooms. Mine all all dormant in a cool basement room. Had a few indoor blooms in the fall. Sjn, agree that is a lovely seedling bloom.

o

Margaret
that's a Big Yes, Love to Trade, How are the things I sent you doing? we'll have to do that again in May, Next month I am shaping my Brugs, then in February I Start to feed them as well as keep them watered.
Today was a Great day, my DH had his follow up visit after his Eye Surgery on Wednesday, Everything Looks Great, he has his other Eye, done This coming Wednesday, hopefully he can get his Driver's Licenses Back, he doesn't make a very good passenger
Elizabeth

o

Thanks! I do think this will turn out to be a good seedling once the weather straightens itself out. I really should register some of my seedlings. I have many from 5 yrs ago, even, that I haven't done anything with lol.
Just too busy with work, kids and all the other stuff I have to get done now. Its nice having 4 acres of garden space to play with but then again, that just makes MUCH MORE yard work to keep up with as well. Seems like I am always behind on something!

Hi mnwsgal! You certainly have a challenging area to grow in (zone 4) but you probably have that great midwest soil too! We drove all over Minnesota and loved it there!
I once lived outside of Yellowstone Park (zone 3b-4a-ish) and still grew my brugs and other tropicals @ about 7000ft elevation. I had to store them indoors over the winter of course. It can be done but it was super windy where I was then so even summers were challenging there (spider mites galore).

Elizabeth, glad to hear your dh's surgery went well.

o

Elizabeth...glad that all is well with the surgery. they're
indeed NOT the best passengers !!!
My blue hibiscus is leafing back out...keeping a good
watch on her. Have some brug cuttngs going on also.
It wasn't the plan, however, I just cannot toss them,
besides, I always have something to do over the winter.
The brug cuttings are doing well also. Think I should feed
them? They're still in the 12 oz cups.

MargaretI

o

Margaret
it's so good to hear that you're Clippings are doing well, Thank you for thinking of my DH, he gets his other Eye done this Wednesday, so if that does well, I think he will get his Licenses
back, then he can drive himself, Yippee
it will be his turn to drive me around, then I'll drive him crazy for a change.
in the Spring I have one Brug, that I want you to have a clipping of
the tag got lost somewhere, anyway, that Brug grew well over 10 ft, the trunk was 3-4 inches in diameter, it didn't Bloom, so I am sure which one it is, I had at least 20 named Brugs, it could also be one of the crosses I have been growing out, anyway I took a bunch of cuttings from it, I had to otherwise it wouldn't fit in the Basement, so remind me in April
Elizabeth

o

Morning everyone! I haven't been able to get on here much because my computer is acting up -- always something falling apart! My gs said it's something? with the mother board. Of course I have no clue what that means other than I know the mother board is inside the tower, lol! With Christmas here, don't know how soon I will be able to fix the computer. Elizabeth and Lenette, beautiful flowers as always!

o

thought some of you might be thinking , what happened to Diane anyway been here in Florida just over a week now

The man, Rubin, who was taking care ofmy yard and did well Only thing that did not do well that I have come across so far , are the roses and not Rubins fault No blooms on any ZBrugmansia but three are lviing yet will start a federalizing program for them
Have no internet or pone at the house yet has been a bit of a pain and why I have not been on line much Lots of Cristmas parties, card games and visiting, as well a couple of issues with the house itself.

I an still thinking of how nice that Lakeland area was and how many people are growing Brugmansia there. For sure going to take a trip up there in January Internet upposed to be on by Friday at the latest. Now just typing under palm trees mind you, at a coffee sop in Ft Myers.

o

Hi Diane, good to see you posting again. I was wondering but figured that you were probably busy getting everything in order and resting after your long trip. Glad to hear most of your garden is doing okay. Maybe you will get some blooms soon.

I have a few brugmansia blooming still in the yard. I just found a whole bunch of blooms on Mountain Magic yesterday. There is a huge night blooming jasmine bush that grew up in front of it and I didn't see the blooms until I walked behind them lol.
Tiara has one measly bloom and 2 more seedlings are blooming. They both look to be single pinks so far. Daydreams has one about to open. The purple bougainvillea is blooming and one canna and the red salvia and a red milkweed plant.

In the greenhouse, there is rosalla and the yellow seedling blooming and the hawaiian bell vine is still going.

o

Just wanted to wish everyone a very,

and a super blessed New Year!

o

I have been following this thread with interest.............you ladies have many beautiful brugs to share photos of. I just had to respond to this beautiful Christmas wish, and say I wish the same for each of you.

o

And a most Joyous and Prosperous New Year to YOU
also, Eloise......MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Stay well everyone...and be happy.
Margaret

o

no internet again for me This is ridiculous But a looking at my iinternet at a commercial wifi spot and thahnk you for the Christmas greetings. Sure is nice to be in sunny Florida nd warm and able to go to the pool for Christmas looking out at palm trees Can't imagine this is my life, sometimes All the best in the New Year Sure missing garden web daily dose

o

Well, our Family had the Christmas gathering, Yesterday, so my Grown DD's could spend the day together, Today
it was wonderful, we have so much to be Thankful for, Everyone was well, the Food Great, the Company was wonderful
I wish the Same for all my GW friends, Also that you have a Happy New Year, I'll be back to posting more often that

Elizabeth

o

Merry Christmas everyone!! I am posting between doing the cooking and visiting lol. A true addict even checks out the garden forums on the holidays haha.

Hope Santa brought you all what you wished for. I got a little baby black silkie when I went out in the coop to feed the silkie chickens their breakfast. I guess we have to name him "Christmas"or maybe Christmas Coal lol.

o

Morning everyone! We too had a wonderful Christmas. My dd asked that I call before coming over early Christmas morning because my gd wanted to show me something. As I drove down the street towards their home, my gd and dd were on the sidewalk and my gd was driving "her car". Kids are so funny. We ate breakfast, opened gifts, and ate some more, LOL!

I like Christmas Coal :-) You'll need to post pictures.

o

Quiet around this post. Let's see, we have been having such beautiful weather here so I spent the day doing some yard work and started pruning my Anna apple tree down to about 5-6 ft height. Margaret, the cutting you sent me has roots, see:

o

Eloise, do your Anna Apple tree produce a nice crop of Apples for you and is this tree self pollinating.
Cb

o

Yes CB, the Anna Apple produces a good crop each year, followed by a second smaller crop, and is self pollinating. Here are a couple of old pictures of Anna apples in my yard, and they are delicious! It produces so many apples that it keeps the squirrels well fed!
Anna Apple Tree photo AnnaAppleTree.jpg
Anna Apple, yummy photo AnnaAppleyummy-1.jpg

o

Eloise, Wow that's a lovely tree and since you are in a zone 10
and I live in a zone 9 I'm going to try to see if I can get a Anna
apple tree to perform for me here in Florida. Off to search for one. Now what's funny is if it attracts squirrels maybe that will allow them to leave me a couple of my Golden pineapples.

Every year those little rascals mow down my pineapples and if I get blessed I might harvest one or two before they consume them all. Thanks for the tip.
Cb

o

Pineapples, yummy! I've tried growing one for several years now and it's never fruited. Of course, I don't do anything to it so don't know why I expect it to fruit, LOL! Around here, every fruiting tree/plant attracts those darn rats -- squirrels! Last year, I went out and there were tons of green apples on the ground. They've done the same with my orange tree, and I haven't been able to get one persimmon, apricot or plum because they try to eat them before they are even ripe. Every once in a while I also find an unripe avocado on the ground where these rats have tried to eat them. I dislike them intensely! CB, I'm sure the Anna apple will do great in your area.

o

Your Anna apples look yummy. I was looking at one at our local nursery about a month ago and wondering what they tasted like. Are they okay to bake with as well as eat fresh? We had a huge Granny Smith in our yard when I was a kid. I loved that tree.
Try giving ur pineapple a little bloom booster and fish fertilizer. Mine like it and set fruit even in a pot that way.
I think we need to start a #3 thread lol. This one is getting slow to load all the pics on my tablet. Does okay on the laptop and desktops lol.

o

Merry Christmas I am to late for that
But best wishes in the eyar 2014 and I now do I believe have operating internet once again
The apple tree does sound interesting, but I think it might be simpler growing apples, in my case, up north
I do have an orange tree but it died last year. Had been tremendous in production
I cut down the smaller branches and left the trunk and some shapely branches. Painted the entire thing a sunny yellow colour, creamy yellow . It looks so terrific People forever stop by to say something about how neat it looks in the midst of my gardens.
Hated to lose the tree but still provides a purpose

o

Where's Elizabeth? Hope all is well and that you are still celebrating Christmas and New Years! BUT, as Lenette mentioned, you do need to start Time to get this Forum Lively 3!

Lenette, I've used the Anna apple in pies as well as made applesauce and froze it for future uses. I don't bake much now. I do have a small Granny Smith, a Gala and a Lady Apple, which haven't fruited yet, but looking forward to one day eating one of their apples.

Diane, the yellow painted tree sounds great. I have an old lemon tree that died several years ago and decided to use it to grow dragon fruit on it after I found the wood very hard to cut. Wish I had thought about painting it first. Wish there was a way to reduce the size of the picture using GW's tools!

o

I have started a New Thread, hope to see you there, Great looking Plant Eloise

Elizabeth

o

The weather this year in Oregon was so bad! My brugs(salmon) and purple and yellow datura and white moonflower started great then it got cold and rainy for weeks and really wessed them up. Month and a half of summer, blooms coming on them several weeks of cold and rain again basically wiping them out (except for moonflower) got nice again,more buds then winter killed them. Then their was the mole and gopher plague. They tipped over and ate almost all my plants. They even tipped over all my sunflowers. Gophers pushed ALL the daturas out. ate the roots off the hibiscus and pulled the rest of the plant down the hole! Just spent a $100 on a mole cat after trying every trap known to man. Now I am woken up at night by a very satisfying boom almost every night. I highly recommend one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here