Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantlover49

Time to get this Forum Lively 2

plantlover49
10 years ago

Hi Eloise
I took your advise, here's the new Forum, in the Morning I'll post a couple Pic's
Hope to see everyone over here

Elizabeth

Comments (137)

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good evening
    what a Day, I have no Hot water, my Hot water heater, went out, I have to wait till tomorrow, to get the part to fix it. a Good thing though my hibiscus, Bloomed, I almost left it out, it didn't Bloom outside, but when I brought it in, it Bloomed, it's nice to have anything Blooming

Elizabeth

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

seems there is always something goes wrong

I gave up on growing hibiscus in Florida

But, in Canada have a 60 plus foot long edge of various coloured Rose of Sharon that are for sure eye catching. and need no care what so ever

enjoyed to see the duck pictures and hear about them

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

I have read that duck eggs are 'cleaner' than chicken eggs, but most ducks quack too loud and my neighbors would surely complain. I liked hearing that Muscovies don't quack, but then you mentioned that hissing and loud breathing. My neighbors would wonder what was going on in my backyard, LOL!

Hope you get the water heater fixed quickly Elizabeth. That's a beautiful hibiscus! The coloring is like Raspberry sherbert :-)

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ladies
    well the water heater is being fixed, I now Know why that one in particular, has a Class action Law suit, it ended up costing $431.00 to get it fixed, but now it's done, Yippee
    onto other things. have a Great Evening.
    I also love the Pic's of those Ducks

Elizabeth

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I love that pink hibiscus. Do you know the name of it?

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SJN
    I wish I did have a name for it, I got it at the end of the Season sale at Lowes, no one there seems to know much about any Plants, I was offerred a job there Several time's. I had to decline, I am having to much fun being Retired.
    I am surprized with all those Beauy's that you have, that you don't have one just like it
    before I forget, Have a Very Happy Thanksgiving, that goes for Everyone else also
    Elizabeth

10 years ago

It froze hard last night here. I wasn't able too do to much as far as getting everything put away. I just had to throw some sheets over everything. Some stuff got really burnt anyways. I did manage to get the small pots and seedlings put up.
    Bad time for a first freeze -during the holidays lol.
    Now the temps are supposed to go back up for a week so maybe most of it will bounce back. Stuff looked really sad out there this morning. I hate that 'wet kleenex look' where the leaves turn that dark green/black color lol. The stems look okay.

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Thu, Nov 28, 13 at 18:59

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SJN
    I am sorry to hear That, I sure hope you didn't lose anything, it is so Early for you to get that Low temps this Early.
    I hope you had a Great Thanksgiving in spite of the weather.
    A Great Brug grower Lives in Florida, near orlando area, I think for the last 3 yrs, he had a field of Brugs frozen, even though he had the sprinkler running they still looked like cooked Spinach
    it was so sad looking, I sure hope yours doesn't look like that
    Elizabeth

10 years ago

Yep cooked spinach sounds about right lol. Not all the leaves are burnt. Some are much worse than others though. Buds and all stems look good and some are still blooming with ugly nasty leaves. They will surely all survive.
    I have been slowly digging up the smallest ones the last few days gradually making my way up to the largest. I usually leave some of the really large more established brugs in the ground.

I got all my vines dug up and moved except the huge pipe vine that is wrapped around Salmon Perfection. I am going to have to cut down half of S.P. to get it off of there.
    I am experimenting with one of my double rangoon creeper vines this year. It is in the ground. It came back from the root on its own after last winter (very mild winter) so I am leaving it to see if it survives again.

Some of the plumeria leaves got burnt but none are turning yellow and falling off this year.
    Its really strange because usually here in 9a FL (the last 5 yrs) they would all be going dormant by now. They are still green except the burnt spots. Some are still trying to make inflos and flowers. They don't wanna go to bed!!

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Elizabeth, glad you got your water heater fixed although at a pretty penny :-( My oven went out so I need to call someone to come fix it. It has one of those electrical ignitors that lights up, but the gas won't kick in. I just hate dealing with this kind of stuff.

Hope your weather improved for your plants, Lenette. Cooked spinach doesn't sound too appealing in plants. We had a bit of rain here, and it sure was a welcomed sight, although we need more.

Ate too much for Thanksgiving, but I worked some of that off yesterday. Cut down to about 5 feet, a variegated duranta that had grown way too high past the roof-line. Now to get rid of all those cuttings, ugh. Still need to cut down other tree-like bushes so I can string up my Christmas lights around the house.

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eloise
    do you have seeds from that Datura,
    ? I would love to have some
    I have never seen a varigated, Datura
    I am so Glad you had a Great Thanksgiving, I was working my Dinner off also, got the Christmas Tree out of the Attic & Decorated it, now I only have 4 more to do. my DD can't beleive that I have so many Trees, but this is my Favorite season
    Elizabeth

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Sorry Elizabeth, don't have datura, it's a duranta. But, there are some seeds on that plant; just don't know how viable they are.

Christmas is a very special time for me as well. Unfortunately, I have now stopped putting up a Christmas tree. I love the fresh trees and they have gotten so outrageously expensive that I didn't put one up last year. My dd got me a huge poinsettia that I added Christmas lights to, will probably do the same this year. So you do 5 trees!

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eloise
    I use to have 2 big duranta's I sold them at a my plant sale
    I had to many Brugs, that needed the Space, I'll get your Seeds out to you as soon as I find the baggies, to put them in a Bubble mailer. Here's one of my Christmas Trees

Elizabeth

10 years ago

I like your tree. Wow that is a lot of work to do 5 trees!

Eloise, the poinsettia with lights sounds lovely. What a neat idea. I might try one if I can find a large enough one. I was thinking about finding a potted tree fern and decorating that and that way I could keep it after the season is over. I have been wanting to get a tree fern anyways hehe.

Grrr buds fell off of Pink Magic, Freckles, Lady Kathryn, Mountain Magic, Tiara,Wretched Mess, and worst of all, several seedlings that were finally gonna bloom for the first time so now I have to move them all into the gh so they can get buds again.
    I had thought the buds were gonna be alright because they looked really good for a few days after the frost but then just started dropping today.

On a good note, I found several seedpods on my Indian Night Jasmine (Nycanthes arbor-trystis). Here is a link to what the seedpods look like that I took a few yrs ago. They look like little green catcher's mitts.
    Look at the top right of the photo
    {{gwi:570413}}

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Pretty tree Elizabeth. You do a great job in decorating. I'm sure your family love being at your home and enjoying all you do in love!

Don't know if you have a Costco close to you Lenette, but that is where my dd buys the huge poinsettia. I planted last year's one in the ground and is currently blooming although the blooms aren't that large. Sorry the buds fell off your brugs and seedlings before they opened up. Weather is weird. Beautiful jasmine -- bet it smells divinely!

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eloise
    Thank you, I have Super Spot Blooming again, I brought it up from the Basement to put in front of the window in my Kitchen,
    I am so Glad I did there was a Slug all comfy in the soil, well it went for a Swim. here the Bloom

Elizabeth

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Spectacular color on SS, Elizabeth! Decorated anymore trees?

10 years ago

Super Spot is looking nice!

I will check out Costco for the poinsettias. Thanks for the tip!

I found a beautiful double orange bloom today on a tall seedling that I had behind one of our outbuildings out back. It was hiding under the roof overhang so it didn't freeze and fall off lol. I will try and get the pic of it up tomorrow. It has a nice long bloom, it is way above my head though so I can't smell it. Seems like almost every brug I grew this year got way taller than me lol.

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 18:37

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eloise
    I now have 5 trees decorated, was going to do the Cedar Tree out Front, I have most of the Seed Pods, drilled & painted.
    but I now have to wait till the Snow on it melts to do that one
    here is why

Elizabeth

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Brrrrrrrr, makes me cold just looking at snow. I can see why you have to wait to decorate that one!

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

Elizabeth...that sparks an idea to bring a blooming brug
    inside for a while. Every time that I open the garage, there
    is always something blooming...only for a while, though.

Jasmine, what is the name of the dbl orange prize that
    you found? Are there any nurseries in Florida that sell
    nice brugs?
    Eloise....the dbl yel cutting is on its way. I'm rooting a couple for trade. Let me know if it does ok for you.
    My hibiscus is leafing back out...thanks again.

Margaret

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good Morning Everyone
    after it warms up at least to about 32 today I hope to get that Cedar tree Decorated, I have almost all the seed pods painted
    Margaret
    that a Great idea Bring those Babies in then take a Pic, I would Love to see what you have Blooming.
    here is one of mine Blooming in the Basement
    I hope Everyone is Staying warm
    Elizabeth

10 years ago

Here is the pic of the orange seedling before it colored up all the way. It is one of my crosses and doesn't have a name yet lol. It colored up nice and dark orange but then fell off before I got another picture of it. I will have to take some more when it blooms again.
    {{gwi:570414}}

I found this passion fruit (next to a olive colored egg for size comparison) in the greenhouse. The only passiflora that was next to the gh all summer and the branches sneaked in through the sides was the Ruby Glow. Kinda weird.

{{gwi:570415}}

Hawaiian Bell Vine blooming in the gh.
    {{gwi:570417}}

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice, Nice Nice, I really Like your Cross, I also like the comparison, that's a nice size Egg, I just got some Fresh Fruit from a Friend that lives in Fla, it was Great, you're so Lucky to have Fresh Fruit this time of year.
    mostly I get mine from Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, oh, it's about 15 minutes from here, they import all kinds of things.
    have to make a Trip down there tomorrow, get ready for the next cold weather, Today it warmed up from 1 degree to 17 degrees
    Elizabeth

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

Jasmine...that is such a lovely brug. When it grows up,
    the first cutting is mine...kidding :):). I ordered some
    doubles for spring shipping. I'm always up for a good
    trade, though. ...right Elizabeth??
    Margaret

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I am enjoying reading along and seeing all your photos. We have had unusually cold weather here but a heat wave of 13 degrees F today so will do some shopping. May pick up a poinsettia at the nearby Costco. We go there a couple of times a week for indoor walking.

Love the brug blooms. Mine all all dormant in a cool basement room. Had a few indoor blooms in the fall. Sjn, agree that is a lovely seedling bloom.

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Margaret
    that's a Big Yes, Love to Trade, How are the things I sent you doing? we'll have to do that again in May, Next month I am shaping my Brugs, then in February I Start to feed them as well as keep them watered.
    Today was a Great day, my DH had his follow up visit after his Eye Surgery on Wednesday, Everything Looks Great, he has his other Eye, done This coming Wednesday, hopefully he can get his Driver's Licenses Back, he doesn't make a very good passenger
    Elizabeth

10 years ago

Thanks! I do think this will turn out to be a good seedling once the weather straightens itself out. I really should register some of my seedlings. I have many from 5 yrs ago, even, that I haven't done anything with lol.
    Just too busy with work, kids and all the other stuff I have to get done now. Its nice having 4 acres of garden space to play with but then again, that just makes MUCH MORE yard work to keep up with as well. Seems like I am always behind on something!

Hi mnwsgal! You certainly have a challenging area to grow in (zone 4) but you probably have that great midwest soil too! We drove all over Minnesota and loved it there!
    I once lived outside of Yellowstone Park (zone 3b-4a-ish) and still grew my brugs and other tropicals @ about 7000ft elevation. I had to store them indoors over the winter of course. It can be done but it was super windy where I was then so even summers were challenging there (spider mites galore).

Elizabeth, glad to hear your dh's surgery went well.

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

Elizabeth...glad that all is well with the surgery. they're
    indeed NOT the best passengers !!!
    My blue hibiscus is leafing back out...keeping a good
    watch on her. Have some brug cuttngs going on also.
    It wasn't the plan, however, I just cannot toss them,
    besides, I always have something to do over the winter.
    The brug cuttings are doing well also. Think I should feed
    them? They're still in the 12 oz cups.

MargaretI

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Margaret
    it's so good to hear that you're Clippings are doing well, Thank you for thinking of my DH, he gets his other Eye done this Wednesday, so if that does well, I think he will get his Licenses
    back, then he can drive himself, Yippee
    it will be his turn to drive me around, then I'll drive him crazy for a change.
    in the Spring I have one Brug, that I want you to have a clipping of
    the tag got lost somewhere, anyway, that Brug grew well over 10 ft, the trunk was 3-4 inches in diameter, it didn't Bloom, so I am sure which one it is, I had at least 20 named Brugs, it could also be one of the crosses I have been growing out, anyway I took a bunch of cuttings from it, I had to otherwise it wouldn't fit in the Basement, so remind me in April
    Elizabeth

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Morning everyone! I haven't been able to get on here much because my computer is acting up -- always something falling apart! My gs said it's something? with the mother board. Of course I have no clue what that means other than I know the mother board is inside the tower, lol! With Christmas here, don't know how soon I will be able to fix the computer. Elizabeth and Lenette, beautiful flowers as always!

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

thought some of you might be thinking , what happened to Diane anyway been here in Florida just over a week now

The man, Rubin, who was taking care ofmy yard and did well Only thing that did not do well that I have come across so far , are the roses and not Rubins fault No blooms on any ZBrugmansia but three are lviing yet will start a federalizing program for them
    Have no internet or pone at the house yet has been a bit of a pain and why I have not been on line much Lots of Cristmas parties, card games and visiting, as well a couple of issues with the house itself.

I an still thinking of how nice that Lakeland area was and how many people are growing Brugmansia there. For sure going to take a trip up there in January Internet upposed to be on by Friday at the latest. Now just typing under palm trees mind you, at a coffee sop in Ft Myers.

10 years ago

Hi Diane, good to see you posting again. I was wondering but figured that you were probably busy getting everything in order and resting after your long trip. Glad to hear most of your garden is doing okay. Maybe you will get some blooms soon.

I have a few brugmansia blooming still in the yard. I just found a whole bunch of blooms on Mountain Magic yesterday. There is a huge night blooming jasmine bush that grew up in front of it and I didn't see the blooms until I walked behind them lol.
    Tiara has one measly bloom and 2 more seedlings are blooming. They both look to be single pinks so far. Daydreams has one about to open. The purple bougainvillea is blooming and one canna and the red salvia and a red milkweed plant.

In the greenhouse, there is rosalla and the yellow seedling blooming and the hawaiian bell vine is still going.

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Just wanted to wish everyone a very,

and a super blessed New Year!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I have been following this thread with interest.............you ladies have many beautiful brugs to share photos of. I just had to respond to this beautiful Christmas wish, and say I wish the same for each of you.

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

And a most Joyous and Prosperous New Year to YOU
    also, Eloise......MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Stay well everyone...and be happy.
    Margaret

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

no internet again for me This is ridiculous But a looking at my iinternet at a commercial wifi spot and thahnk you for the Christmas greetings. Sure is nice to be in sunny Florida nd warm and able to go to the pool for Christmas looking out at palm trees Can't imagine this is my life, sometimes All the best in the New Year Sure missing garden web daily dose

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, our Family had the Christmas gathering, Yesterday, so my Grown DD's could spend the day together, Today
    it was wonderful, we have so much to be Thankful for, Everyone was well, the Food Great, the Company was wonderful
    I wish the Same for all my GW friends, Also that you have a Happy New Year, I'll be back to posting more often that

Elizabeth

10 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone!! I am posting between doing the cooking and visiting lol. A true addict even checks out the garden forums on the holidays haha.

Hope Santa brought you all what you wished for. I got a little baby black silkie when I went out in the coop to feed the silkie chickens their breakfast. I guess we have to name him "Christmas"or maybe Christmas Coal lol.

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Morning everyone! We too had a wonderful Christmas. My dd asked that I call before coming over early Christmas morning because my gd wanted to show me something. As I drove down the street towards their home, my gd and dd were on the sidewalk and my gd was driving "her car". Kids are so funny. We ate breakfast, opened gifts, and ate some more, LOL!

I like Christmas Coal :-) You'll need to post pictures.

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Quiet around this post. Let's see, we have been having such beautiful weather here so I spent the day doing some yard work and started pruning my Anna apple tree down to about 5-6 ft height. Margaret, the cutting you sent me has roots, see:

• byrd4460
    10 years ago

Eloise, do your Anna Apple tree produce a nice crop of Apples for you and is this tree self pollinating.
    Cb

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Yes CB, the Anna Apple produces a good crop each year, followed by a second smaller crop, and is self pollinating. Here are a couple of old pictures of Anna apples in my yard, and they are delicious! It produces so many apples that it keeps the squirrels well fed!
    {{gwi:570418}}
    {{gwi:570419}}

• byrd4460
    10 years ago

Eloise, Wow that's a lovely tree and since you are in a zone 10
    and I live in a zone 9 I'm going to try to see if I can get a Anna
    apple tree to perform for me here in Florida. Off to search for one. Now what's funny is if it attracts squirrels maybe that will allow them to leave me a couple of my Golden pineapples.

Every year those little rascals mow down my pineapples and if I get blessed I might harvest one or two before they consume them all. Thanks for the tip.
    Cb

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Pineapples, yummy! I've tried growing one for several years now and it's never fruited. Of course, I don't do anything to it so don't know why I expect it to fruit, LOL! Around here, every fruiting tree/plant attracts those darn rats -- squirrels! Last year, I went out and there were tons of green apples on the ground. They've done the same with my orange tree, and I haven't been able to get one persimmon, apricot or plum because they try to eat them before they are even ripe. Every once in a while I also find an unripe avocado on the ground where these rats have tried to eat them. I dislike them intensely! CB, I'm sure the Anna apple will do great in your area.

10 years ago

Your Anna apples look yummy. I was looking at one at our local nursery about a month ago and wondering what they tasted like. Are they okay to bake with as well as eat fresh? We had a huge Granny Smith in our yard when I was a kid. I loved that tree.
    Try giving ur pineapple a little bloom booster and fish fertilizer. Mine like it and set fruit even in a pot that way.
    I think we need to start a #3 thread lol. This one is getting slow to load all the pics on my tablet. Does okay on the laptop and desktops lol.

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

Merry Christmas I am to late for that
    But best wishes in the eyar 2014 and I now do I believe have operating internet once again
    The apple tree does sound interesting, but I think it might be simpler growing apples, in my case, up north
    I do have an orange tree but it died last year. Had been tremendous in production
    I cut down the smaller branches and left the trunk and some shapely branches. Painted the entire thing a sunny yellow colour, creamy yellow . It looks so terrific People forever stop by to say something about how neat it looks in the midst of my gardens.
    Hated to lose the tree but still provides a purpose

• eloise_ca
    10 years ago

Where's Elizabeth? Hope all is well and that you are still celebrating Christmas and New Years! BUT, as Lenette mentioned, you do need to start Time to get this Forum Lively 3!

Lenette, I've used the Anna apple in pies as well as made applesauce and froze it for future uses. I don't bake much now. I do have a small Granny Smith, a Gala and a Lady Apple, which haven't fruited yet, but looking forward to one day eating one of their apples.

Diane, the yellow painted tree sounds great. I have an old lemon tree that died several years ago and decided to use it to grow dragon fruit on it after I found the wood very hard to cut. Wish I had thought about painting it first. Wish there was a way to reduce the size of the picture using GW's tools!

• plantlover49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have started a New Thread, hope to see you there, Great looking Plant Eloise

Elizabeth

• leo503
    10 years ago

The weather this year in Oregon was so bad! My brugs(salmon) and purple and yellow datura and white moonflower started great then it got cold and rainy for weeks and really wessed them up. Month and a half of summer, blooms coming on them several weeks of cold and rain again basically wiping them out (except for moonflower) got nice again,more buds then winter killed them. Then their was the mole and gopher plague. They tipped over and ate almost all my plants. They even tipped over all my sunflowers. Gophers pushed ALL the daturas out. ate the roots off the hibiscus and pulled the rest of the plant down the hole! Just spent a $100 on a mole cat after trying every trap known to man. Now I am woken up at night by a very satisfying boom almost every night. I highly recommend one.