Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

OT Sad but.......

marquest
12 years ago

I have not been around much my Mom was very sick and I hung in with her every day for 8 months. She has passed now. But this is something I thought I would share with the group. That really amazed me maybe it shouldn't but it does.

A beautiful plant was sent and I put it in front of her chair that she sat every holiday. I am a houseplant lover. There are about 8 plants in this pot.

It looked good for about 2 weeks slowly one by one each plant started to look very bad. I took one of the plants out and discovered it was a cutting and not a plant. No roots attached.... Things never cease to amaze me as I age....

{{gwi:107998}}

Comments (11)

• gardenpaw
    12 years ago

Hi Marquest,
    You have my deepest condolences, Im so sorry to hear of
    your Moms passing.
    What a wonderful daughter you are.
    Im like you I have never heard of the roots not being on
    the plants,really amazing!
    Your in my thoughts and prayers.
    Hugs,
    Karen

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. I'm sure that your being with her for those 8 months was a great comfort.

I'm not surprised to hear that the dish garden contained unrooted cuttings. DH sells pre-made dish gardens and sells also plants to the florists that make their own. Some of the ones that make their own gardens divide the plants as much as possible before making the gardens to maximize profit. They know that they'll look good for at least a couple weeks.

You should actually remove all the plants from the dish garden and pot them separately. Often times the plants have different requirements and won't grow well together anyway. Which plant was unrooted? Some are easy to root like the diffenbachia (green/white foliage).

• knotz
    12 years ago

So sorry about your Mom :( My Mom is going through health issues too, more now since my Dad passed.

You truly are a blessing to be with your Mom the way you did...Bless you...

knotz

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

My condolence and prayer for your healing. Although it must have been hard to see your mom deteriorate, what a blessing to have been able to be with her during that time.

I never knew they sold these plant arrangements without roots! Next time I send an arrangement with 'live' plants included, I will certainly ask if they are rooted plants.

• chena
    12 years ago

I am so Happy you were able to be there for your Mother!!! My Thoughts and Prayers are with you and your Family!!!

(((HUGS)))

Kylie

• kayjones
    12 years ago

I am sorry for your loss!

If you know which florist the planter came from, take it back and insist they give you plants WITH ROOTS. Good money was spent on this planter, probably 50+ dollars and the florist needs to make it good.

If they refuse to do so, contact FTD and file a complaint - this is unacceptable.

• plantlover49
    12 years ago

Marquest
    I am so sorry to hear about your Mom, it was so good you could be there for her, I am sure it helped her so much
    you're a good daughter
    Elizabeth

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words. It does help. I never knew how people's kindness can help even when they have never met you until it has happened to me.

I have gotten a higher education on the medical field. I was her primary care taker for 5 years now and when her kidney started to fail and the dialysis only made her health worst it was a 6 month heart breaking time for me. I was at the hospital every day for 12 hours never missed a day. Every nurse/aid and even doctors said they wanted a patient advocate like me when the time comes. At this time I cry for me not for her she is in a better place. My comfort comes from....she left this earth with a smile on her face. That vision sticks in my mind.

OK I will stop before I drown the keyboard.

Kay that is why I am trying to tell as many people as possible about this practice of cuttings in a pot. So when you order these you can specify not to send people cuttings. I do not think this is good business. I did not think to call the florist. I might do that but although under normal times I have been known to take on issues like a bull dog with a bone. But a lot of fight has left me right now.

I left my Nikon SLR camera in my Mom's room the night she passed and I did not get it back and I do not have the strength to fight over that issue.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Hi Marquest-
    I feel your pain. My mom also suffered for 8 years with bone cancer before she died. I was able to spend much time with her and never regretted one minute of it! She too went on to a better place. She said she saw Jesus outside her hospital window and He told her she was "going home" soon. She died the next day with all of her children and grandchildren around her. It takes time to heal over one's loss, everyone's time frame is different. I've never heard of a florist doing this either- very shabby if you ask me! I know it's not a major issue for you right now- but I'd let them know about it. God bless you and give you rest!

• Ament
    12 years ago

Hello Dear,

I know you don't know me. I feel your pain. I'm sorry for your loss. Glad she is no longer suffering. Grateful you got to spend so much time with her before she went on. Wishing I were in your shoes...

I know you feel the fight has left you, but to prevent these things from happening to others, you cannot put down the battle hon. I would not. So I beg you, please don't? Come here to us, when you need to vent, we'll be here. =)

Bright Blessings to you
    ~Tina

• chena
    12 years ago

Tina is Right!! We will always be here for you!!!(((HUGS)))

Kylie