Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

Iochroma questions

junkyardgirl
16 years ago

My iochroma was doing so well, then suddenly, whole limbs started dying. Is this what they do in the fall? This is the first year it's done this badly. It seems like the newer growth is fine, just the older growth is dying off. Hopefully, it's just what it does, and I have nothing to worry about. I love this plant. Grew it from a very small rooted cutting, and this is the first year it's done so well. It seems to love Milorganite.

Also, I have had no luck with rooting these. I actually got a couple of cuttings to root once, and then it rained forever and they died. Has anyone ever tried ground layering? I did it with a couple of limbs. Unfortunately, one of the limbs died completely. The other is hanging in there, but no sign of roots. How about air layering? I'd really like to propagate it, and all my attempts have failed.

Comments (16)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Branches dying off isn't normal and something must be wrong. An insect might have bored into the branch or something. I'd cut off and dispose of any diseased growth in the trash, not the compost pile. I cut mine back every year to get them inside for the winter and they grow back without a problem. They usually continue to bloom inside. I also trim them when the growth starts becoming lanky. I've had terrible luck rooting iochroma cuttings. I've had some root and appear to be growing well for a few months then they all of a sudden die for unknown reasons. I have had excellent results growing them from seed. I've never tried any type of layering. I do know of someone who successfully grafted an iochroma branch to a brug but I've never attempted that either. Good luck with your plant. I'd cut off all the dead/dying growth ASAP, before it spreads. I also love these plants and not many people seem to be growing them.
    Karyn

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

I feel another obsessive/compulsive problem coming. . .

Surfing right now looking at these beauties. Sunset and Red Wine. . .ohhhhhh boyyyyyyy. . . .wow those are beautiful, and that monster blue. . .

Ok - off to find out HOW to grow them - what they like and don't like. . . . .can they be put to "sleep". . .can they be combo-ed with Brugs. . .a blue and red wine thrown in with the whites and yellows. . .wow. . .

Surfing. . .

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

I can't seem to find info on whether I need to keep these actively growing or can I put them to sleep.

It seems like they can "dormant" outside in mild winter areas - just can't seem to find if I can force them to sleep like the Brugs.

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

OK ... Fever has spread and I've caught it!!! Hey Dweeb are you sure we were not separated at birth??? lol Where did you find pictures of Iochroma? Have also found another Brug TDF :-) See new post. Gloria

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

technodweeb, we have the pale blue one that we grow outside. We just cut it back to the soil and she comes back each year? This year we have the red one that we winter in the greenhouse, yes we keep these growing all year. We had the blue and plum ones but they just up and die for no reason?? These are a lot of fun to grow!!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Gloria - when I get home - I'll post the link where some might be for sale. It's a cousin of the Brugs. That wine red one. . .and the Sky King. . .holy smoley. . . .and they can get as BIG as a Brug too! "Strange and Wonderful Things" has a picture of a bright RED one!

KHT - ok - I'd have to keep them "happy" - they're hardy down to 25 and come back. . . .but can they withstand months at 50? Keep them in the "sleeping room" with the brugs - just give the Ioch a light?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I have about 5 named varieties and a few from seed that have yet to bloom. I keep all of them growing over the winter. They don't go dormant like brugs. I wish I could let them winter over outside here but they don't come back in my zone. I think they are probably easier then brugs because they don't need as much water or food and pretty much bloom throughout the year. None of mine have any scent.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

I only have the one.. No scent here..LOL It is a very easy plant to grow and not needy...LOL I didn't cut mine back just moved it in it is still blooming.. I have rooted cuttings.. took forever and no survivors to date...I would love to have a few more.. they are very charming plants..Very worthy of growing...
    Chena

• karyn1
    16 years ago

What is it withn these iochroma cuttings? Even when they root they still eventually die. The ones I've grown from seed are doing great and are over 5' tall but they haven't bloomed. My others bloom when they are much shorter but I have no idea how old they are or if they were started from seed or cloned. I've had them for 3 - 5 years.
    Karyn

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Gloria, Chena, Karyn:

Ok - so I won't do cuttings - I'll just wait and get some plants in the spring.

Not as needy as a brug, huh? They seem to like the same sun requirements - morning sun - shade from gruesome afternoon, but, wonder how they behave if they get some "feeding" from Brugs near them. They may not like that.

Can I plant these near Dats? Since it's advised NOT to plant Dats near the Brugs (and I can't because the different sun needs) - are they ok together?

Guess these would be "residents" in the green room during the winter (with my asparagus ferms), not sleepers.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Mine are in containers and most are in full sun all day. The only one I have that does better with afternoon protection is my Scarlet. I feed them very infrequently but I don't know if more food would be a bad thing. I don't think it would harm them to try it and see what happens. Next season I think I'll start feeding the ones I've grown from seed more often and see if I can get them to bloom already.
    Karyn

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Ok - so - if I graduate from the mottled/early shade with Brugs to the Ioch to dats who just love being beaten and fried by the sun, this could work - and the dats aren't that close to the Brugs.

May work height wise too . . .big, bigger, biggest.

Wow - real bad addiction - and it's growing! (pun intended!)

Ohhhhhhhh helllllllllllllp. . . . .

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Oh man, I've got that the little mantis to rototill that new area. . . .

Honey? I'm gonna need a backhoe. . .

Cringing, waiting for the response. . . .

• franz_in_la
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Branches have been withering and dying on my roughly 8 foot plant for months. I really should have dealt with this earlier, but I've been focused on humans, not plants. Anyway, it don't know if this is insects or disease, but it's serious. I've cut away dead branches, but the tree is now much smaller and still dying. Perhaps I should cut the whole thing down? Or can I leave the trunk and hope it will regrow?

Sorry I'm so utterly ignorant! I've looked over the board and much information is for potted and thus more portable plants. This thing has been in the ground for six years and isn't going anywhere. It's going to get warm in LA soon, so I figure I should cut back now if it's going to happen. I'm willing to spray, as well, or use pyrethrum.

Thanks for any help. Oh, I can attach jpgs, but I'm don't know how on this forum.

Franz

• chena
    16 years ago

Hey Franz and Welcome!!!
    Pics would help alot!!! If you can load it at Photobucket we can get you thru the posting process here.. If I can do it anyone can...LOL
    Kylie

• big1968 Young
    9 years ago

When does Iochromas start blooming the best fall or spring thanks Al.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!