Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a seed pod?

Posted by aptosca CA9 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 2, 10 at 21:30

I just noticed this on my varigated Snowbank brug. I have never had a seed pod before so not sure if this is one. Do I wait till it dries up before picking it? How do you grow brugs by seed? Will it be true to the parent or cross pollinate with my other brugs that are next to it? I have grown amarylilies and roses from seed but never brugs. I would appreciate any advice on how to do it.
Thanks.
Clare

Snowbank brug pod

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a seed pod?

Yes it is a seed pod. I have read on this forum that they do not grow true to the parent. I have no experience with the varigated ones as far as matureing(SP) I watched one on one of my noids until the pod turned brown, it took about 2 months. If you pick it green the seeds will not germinate.
Maybe one of the experts will chime in in a bit and give you a more educated answer. watch it but don't handle any more than necessary, that will lessen the chance of making it fall off too early.
I didn't know that the seed pods carried the varigation also. I have never had a seed on my varigated one.
You have a healthy looking plant and pod, you should be proud.
pa

o

• Posted by knotz 8/PNW SWWA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 2, 10 at 23:40

That's awesome!!

o

Don't pick it until it's ripe. You don't have to wait until it dries but it will soften and change color when ripe. The pod stem might change too. The pod will probably lose the variegation as it matures. It usually takes longer then 2 months for a pod to ripen here but that might be because temps are normally cooler. Snowbank isn't self pollinating and the seeds will not grow true but it's always fun to see what you get. You can immediately plant moist seed without doing anything to it. If you allow the seeds to dry I'd soak them in water overnight to soften the cork so it can be peeled.

o

Thanks for all the information. I will wait and keep everyone posted on what happens.
Clare

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 13:50

Very cool!!! I have never had a variegated one thro a keeper..LOL BUT you never know and Yes it is always FUN... Congrats!!

Kylie

o

I changed the location of the photo so have a new link to an album of all my brugs.

Clare

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 16:49

OOOO AWWW!!!! LOL
Everything is just Beautiful!!!

Kylie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here