Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

Getting excited but still worried lol

lovetogrowflowers
13 years ago

My brugs are looking so good, 2 about 8 foot tall and finally the buds are holding since it cooled down. I just worry about the weather. It's been nice though. I'm planning to cover them with something if I hear any mention of frost. I'm dying to see them bloom.

The two that are about 8 feet tall, my wife and I counted on one brug and it has about 56 buds on it, probably more and they're about 2 inches long. The other is white and I didn't count them all, but did count on one branch and it had like 20. I'm freaking out here.

What size to they get before the start to open, like how many inches long?

Comments (9)

• lovetogrowflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One other thing, what is the best way to know if frost will occur? I rarely watch the weather, so at what temps would you advise me covering my brugs to hopefully ensure that I can see these babies bloom.

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

This is a darn good reason to start watching the weather segment of the news. When they issue a frost warning (36 or lower), you need to cover the plants, preferably with a sheet or the new frost cloths on the market. I had a frost warning last night and had already dug up my plants. I dragged the pots into the garage for the night but today they're back outside at least till Monday when snow is being predicted.
    Your flower bud can be 6" long, when the flower emerges the calyx will draw back and the flower will drop down as a tube, anywhere from 8-12" long depending on the variety. Then the tube will unfurl, the color will develop and you'll have that lovely fragrance.
    Pictures pictures pictures please! Can't wait to see your wonderful trees.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

If the buds are only a couple inches long it could take up to a few weeks to mature with the cooler temps. It helps the buds hold but it also slows development. It's like the "watched pot". lol Make sure you don't use anything plastic to cover your plants to protect them from frost. I like burlap but sheets and tablecloths work well too. I have loads of buds with the skirts emerging from the calyx but with evening temps expected in the 40's it might be a while before they are fully open. The colors will probably be lighter then blooms that open in the heat.

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Lovetogrowflowers-
    If the evening has clear skies, and the temps start to plummet, you could get a frost.. I made yahoo my home page and saved the weather link on my tool bar. They will issue frost warnings for your area. I check it many times throughout the day, it's a necessity! You're in one zone warmer than me, and I would think you're ok for another month, but watch! Last year, I got my brugs through a few days of frost (I covered them with sheets), and was able to extend their growing season by another month til the 2nd week of Nov. Best wishes to see those babies bloom!
    kasha77

• lovetogrowflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to you all for keeping my hopes up. Im worried to death. Lol. If i have to ill cover them and build a darn fire nearby too. Lol. Just kidding. I hope everything works out for me so i can see them bloom. If not theres always next year.

Tommysmommy- heres link to the one that has about 56 buds. Wanna see it bloom so bad.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/brug/msg0911503131292.html?5

• ruth_ann
    13 years ago

*If* it gets too late in the season and you have yet to see them bloom before needing to cut them back and/or move them in, cut one good sized branch and bring it indoors and pop it into water and the buds may keep developing so that you get to see them bloom.
    The calyx often grows to the usual length prior to the flower bud reaching the end and emerging from it so the 'branch in water' may be a viable alternative for you.

• chena
    13 years ago

If it is a lite frost you can turn on the sprinklers or put Christmas lites on them.. This time of yr (for me z8 TX) it only dips for a few mins. in the AM. Good Luck.. Looking forward to seeing those buds in bloom! ;0)

Kylie

• Frances Coffill
    13 years ago

What Kylie says is also true in my area too, the temperature usually hits the low spot just before dawn and only for a very short time!

TV weather programs/meteorologists need to make the forecast interesting so they tend to exaggerate to justify themselves. go to the link below and enter your ZipCode, I keep this bookmarked and check the forecast daily at this time of year. Though it is extremely unlikely that I will get any damaging frost for at least another 3-4 weeks.

Frances

Here is a link that might be useful: Enter your local Zip and bookmark for quick reference

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

Gorgeous plant LTGF, and RuthAnn, I've already decided if it's too much to keep dragging it in and out, I'll have to whack the branches off my 10 footer and put them in a big vase. Karyn, you're right about the slow development. I have a 2' tall NOID white which has one flower opening and it's already taken a day and a half and the dumb thing still hasn't unfurled! It's in a sunny window so maybe today - yesterday was cloudy and icky.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource