Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: My email account has been hacked too

karyn1
12 years ago

It appears that my email account has been hacked and people are getting IM's and emails from this address that I haven't sent. Hope you don't get them but if you do I apologize in advance.

Comments (21)

• chena
    12 years ago

Seems like there is a lot of that going around!! 0_0

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I knew that something was up. I started getting IM's from Eddie and I know he wasn't sending me anything. I assume that's the same virus that snatched my address box.

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

A few days ago, I got one from Barbra's email address, BUT I didn't get one from yours Karyn. I sort of feel left out :-( Just kidding! I hope that whoever came up with this virus, their computer blows up!

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Karyn, Is Eddie still in Brugs? I have emailed him a couple of times and gotten no response.
    Bill

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I believe that he is. Maybe try sending a message on Facebook.

• chena
    12 years ago

Looks Like Brendas has been also.. I just got an email from her asking me to send her $2500.00 dollars to pay a Hotel bill in the UK.. Beware!!! Seems as tho several other of her friends have as well..

Kylie

• gottahosta
    12 years ago

Yup, I've been hacked, too. Getting calls all morning from worried friends. Erasing our address book is a nice touch, eh, Karyn. I have posted on FB too.
    My email was from Brenda Delph, and I did not read the subject line in my excitement from hearing from her.
    Sorry, all my gardenweb friends who may also be in my email address book, son't open any email from me. Like Karyn, I am fine, and not stranded in some foreign country left w.o documents or $$$.
    Brenda B.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brenda was your address book erased? I have no idea what kind of emails people are receiving from my address. All I've heard is that they are getting IM's and emails with an attachment or link. Hopefully nobody opens anything. Over the past few months I've been getting emails from acquaintances with just a link, no text, which I automatically knew were from hijacked email addresses. Nobody I know would send a link with no explanation. A couple days ago I started getting IM's from people I have no reason to get an IM from like Eddie.

What gets me is that some people actually do believe those cockamamie emails and send money. How can anyone be so naive?

• green_thumb_guy
    12 years ago

Ohhhhh!

And hear I thought Brenda was travelling the world having a wonderful time.LOL

Who would have thought. You gotta love the cockroaches that have nothing better to do that try to scam people.

Jeff

• kasha77
    12 years ago

oh Brenda- I've already read the one from you- what will happen to me?
    Darn!

• roper2008
    12 years ago

I got an email from brenda asking for 2500.00 also. I hope they
    can't track your purchases once you open the e-mail. Just in case
    I'll use my backup computer for any purchases.

• pearlgirl
    12 years ago

Kylie...I got that same email today..things are getting
    messy!!

Margaret

• chena
    12 years ago

The one I got from Brenda was in letter form.. I can't see there being any repercussions from that there was not link to open...???

Some of the others have just been links..just delete those..

Kylie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Karyn, I got an Instant Message from you, and I tried to open it, since I recognized your email adddresss. It would not open. This was a few weeks ago. It was the first time I ever got an instant message. After our email had been hacked, Kathy from gardening in Texas told me to run the McAfee security. When I went there, it told we everything was ok, no problems with the security. I ran it anyway, it took over 3 hrs. it found 4 virus files, and tracking cookies. You may want to run your security just in case. It seemed to cleared up our problem. I hope. Barbra

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

I've gotten a couple from Marian (lovelyiris), and told her about it so she knows her address was also hacked.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've been getting them from Marian for at least a couple months. It's just an email with a link. I get them from a few people, mostly those I don't "speak" with very often.

• gottahosta
    12 years ago

Well, I'm sorry to have been part of the problem. Yes, Karyn, it erased my email address book and hubby's too. I feel kinda leery of opening any emails now. I have received several from Mariam recently with no subject that I deleted, and another that was suspicious, saying someone "needed some advice"- too close to someone "needing your help"!!! I let everyone know that I could by posting on FB but not everyone is on Facebook.
    Good luck getting back on track, whomever was hacked. My aunt was even hacked from me, and she is 77- what a PITA for her!!
    ~Brenda B

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That stinks about the address books. I didn't have any damage to speak of. Just the issues with people in my address book receiving IM's and e-mails.

• pagrdnr
    12 years ago

Those of you who got this email....how long did it take before you noticed a virus or anything? I got the one from Brenda but I haven't noticed anything wrong with my computer. My email contacts also have not been deleted. I don't think there was a link in the email, and if there was, I didn't open it because I knew something was up. I am just wondering if you guys noticed something wrong right away or if it took a while.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    12 years ago

When I received Brenda's email I was kind of suspicious since my husband's account got hacked too. But I was not sure so I even replied. I hope this virus would be fixed soon. Happy gardening everyone. Changsong

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

I haven't noticed anything different on my computer, Shawn. I got emails from Barbra, Brenda and Marian, all of which I opened, but didn't follow any links. Hopefully this will soon stop and no one else gets their address book wiped out.