Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

OT- I've got a surgery date!

kasha77
11 years ago

After patiently waiting for everything to fall into place, I've finally received a surgery date for my double hip transplant! It's Nov. 5th, on a Monday. I'm so excited! Thank you all for your prayers and concern!

Comments (69)

• starofleviathan
    11 years ago

kasha77: Don't blame you for being out of sorts lately with all the preparations you've been having to do pre-surgery. That encounter with the gentleman who has Cerebral Palsy was beautiful but bittersweet as well. Yes, you're in pain now but soon you'll be healed - that poor man, outside of a miracle, will most likely be dealing with his ailment for the rest of his life. It's an intense realization but none the less a sobering one. This definitely gives me pause for thought whenever I'm tempted to complain about my aches & pains from my scoliosis & TMD. I think every human being needs those gentle reminders now & then (thx for the reality check). It's a blessing to be able to have God's peace throughout this season in your life ;). God is using you to encourage & comfort others by your example & by the encouragement & comfort He has blessed you with :). PTL for working things out for you my friend! SO happy to hear this! Sounds like you'll be having a wonderful Thanksgiving Kathy surrounded by family & love :)(:. All His blessings to you & yours - that goes for everyone here. You're such wonderful folks who have really helped me learn what I needed & patiently guided me through tending for my Brugs & Plumies, & it helps to share laughs along the way. Ruth_ann, praying the same for you as kasha77!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

MissMudPuppy, I just hired somone to bring in my plumeria and brugmansia plants inside for the winter, it will cost me $100 but worth every penny. Today had my first therapy session. I am in tremendous pain. She told me three months before I can do anything. No Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, no Christmas decorations or Village. I am devistated. Barbra

• starofleviathan
    11 years ago

honeybunny2: $100 is worth the peace of mind knowing your plants will be safe. My Plumies are still putting out leaves & clawing like crazy but the Brugs have finally had enough & are starting to go into dormancy. They're still trying to put out leaves but they just don't have the light/heat/energy to complete the task & I usually find handfuls of leaves on the floor by the end of the day. Only a few more clusters & they should be done for the season. Mine are upstairs in my room where my little toy poodle can't get to them & "tag" them lol.
    So sorry to hear you're in such pain dear soul :(. I can sympathize with you Barbra, it's going to be very difficult to have to adjust your routine for the next 3 months, especially with all the holidays (or holi-"daze" as I like to put it) coming up - but no less vital because the most important thing right now is you concentrating on doing whatever it takes for you to get better & stronger day by day. Having to sit on the sidelines for these next 3 months is going to be very trying & at times depressing, but sometimes we really do need to rest & let others take over for us for awhile. Will be keeping you in prayer too Barbra! Feel better & get stronger hun! ((hugs))

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I'm only sore because it was my first day, and I was upset because I have to go to therpy 3 times a week for the next 3 months. I have been using ice packs, and heat all morning and feel much better. My husband said he is going to hire my son to put up my christmas decorations, God always leaves a window open. I am sorry I posted something negative, but I was so down, today I am back up there and looking forward to March. Heck by then I will be ready to bring out my plants back outside. Barbra

• starofleviathan
    11 years ago

No need to apologize, totally understandable :). Glad to hear the heat & ice packs are helping you feel better :D. That's what's important. Very sweet of your husband to hire your son to help with the Christmas decorations. Feel better!
    ~ Angharand

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Barbra- when did you have your surgery on your shoulder? I'm so sorry that you're in so much pain and so slow to recover :( I was going to ask my surgeon about fixing my shoulder, but now after hearing about yours, I guess I'll wait! I'm not having my knees done, but both hips. The doctor said it's not as complicated as knee replacements, and the recovery time is much shorter, around 6 weeks or so. They think I'll recover fast 'cuz they say I'm such a fighter. They said they'll get me up a day after surgery to help facilitate quicker healing. Hopefully it will all go well. I'm so sad to hear that you have to pay someone to help you bring in all of your plants! If I lived nearby and was able, I'd do it for you for nothing! but I totally understand the urgency in getting your babies in before the frost. Once you start feeling better, you'll enjoy gardening again. It won't be long! Feel free to email me if you need someone to talk to. We can encourage each other!
    hugs-
    Kasha77

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Kasha, my neighbor has just one hip replacement, he was up the next day, Jack is in his 80's. I know you will do just great. It never slowed him down a bit, he was driving his truck in 2 weeks, but he only had one done. I think having 2 done will take longer. I had my surgery on Nov 6th, an old broken collar bone, caused my rotator cuff to tear. They repaired both. I had no idea that the recovery was going to take so long. I thought recovery would be like my broken hip and knee replacement. What day are you going to have your hip surgery? I will be praying for you. Barbra

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

Dear Kathy, Barbra, Ruth and MissMudPuppy (MMP is your name Angharand?), praying you four will soon be freed from pain.

Not sure if Ruth's back surgery occurred per her remark of it being five days after Kathy's original? date, but if so, Ruth may your recovery year be less than what doctor's think.

Kathy, hang in there as soon you will be as good as new and ready to continue doing what you love best.

Barbra, sorry you have been having a heck of a time with pain from that shoulder/collar surgery. Therapy is a pain in the butt, but it does help.

MMP, you write such beautiful and encouraging posts to those in pain in spite of your scoliosis & TMD. May you be blessed!

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Eloise! Yes, MMP's thoughts are graced with compassion, aren't they? She should be an author to encourage others. Ever consider it, MMP? :)

• starofleviathan
    11 years ago

eloise_ca: Angharand is my Celtic name. I never use my English name online for personal issues. If it's easier, everyone can call me MMP as Kathy does ;).

eloise_ca & kasha77: a humble thank you for such kind words. Overjoyed to hear I've been able to offer some small measure of comfort & encouragement to you. Praise the Lord. In answer to your question Kathy, I did consider being an author but the Lord knew I'd be far more efficient in my efforts by being more readily available via an online presence on whichever site I'm led to comment. Whenever I read someone is experiencing pain, anguish, suffering, etc, regardless whether I know them or not, I'm naturally led to try & offer whatever consolation is laid upon my heart. It's a driving force within me, especially now after having gone through hurricane Sandy & experiencing first hand my fellow Long Islanders, as well as others, suffering. All I want to do is help others as our Lord has helped me. The reward I seek will be at His throne ;).

Only a few more days kasha77 & you begin your road to healing & recovery!

You're both blessings to me! Feel free to email me anytime about anything. Humblest of gratitude & may our Lord continue to bless & keep you & yours. ((((hugs)))

• ruth_ann
    11 years ago

Thinking of Kasha today.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Prayers for Kasha today & her speedy recovery.
    Lonnie

• starofleviathan
    11 years ago

Amen! Joining ruth_ann & Lonnie in warmest thoughts & heartfelt prayers for you today sweet Kathy. ((hugs))

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Today my thoughts and prayers are with you Kasha. Wishing you a speedy recovery. You will be so thankful this spring that you had the surgery. MMP, thank you for your words of encouragement. Eloise I hope you are doing ok, I do not post as much as I use to, but I do check in every now and then just to see how everyone is doing. Barbra

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

Praying for your speedy recovery Kathy!

Barbra, yes I noticed that you had 'sort of' disappeared for a while and am thrilled you do pop in every once in a while.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone! I'm home now! Came home yesterday! :) My surgery went fine! It only took 2 hours. :) My doctor said he didn't need the 2 units of blood that I gave for the surgery. He said that I'm now perfectly aligned. So I got home yesterday, and am trying to adjust with a walker and a new and different pain and stiffness.The hydrocodone helps control pain nicely! My PT just left and I have exercises to do 3x a day. I'm a little weak here and there, but I'm improving already! God is good! Thank you all for praying for me! I'll keep in touch when I can!

• ruth_ann
    11 years ago

Way to go Kasha. It is a good thing we know that the different 'post operative pain' is only temporary and has an end in site.
    I had my pre-op Dr visit today and he says I am fit for surgery and that is to be done Dec 10th. Then I too will be in the land of rehab 3 months later. :)

• starofleviathan
    11 years ago

kasha77: SOOO excited to hear you're back home & everything's going well! Thank You Jesus! \o/ Amen, God is truly GOOD!

{{gwi:573942}}

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone! I'm getting better every time I get up from a nap! Ruth, God bless you when you go for surgery, I will keep you in my prayers that day! Better go lay down now. Love to all!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Thank goodness you posted, I was starting to get worried. It only gets better after this. You and I will be gardening this spring, just like the good ole days. So glad your doing well... Barbra

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Barbra- I'm still getting adjusted cuz I just got home yesterday. It takes time to be able to sit a little longer, and to get that anesthesia out of my system. So it's slow getting around, but every day I'm doing a little better. Especially my attitude! Yesterday I was a little down and frustrated cuz I had to depend on everyone to retrieve all the stuff I'd dropped, and feeding me, etc. I was expecting too much from my self! Now I'm settling in and just taking the time to heal up! Went for my first wheelchair walk up our country road before sunset. I love it! It was such a gift! :)

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Glad the surgery went well and that you are home, Kasha. Nothing like being in one's own bed or chair. There is joy and comfort in letting go and letting others care for you now.

Don't let other people's stories of progress (or lack of) get you down. We all heal in different ways and amounts of time.

A helpful tool is an extended wand that picks items up, great for the dropped tissues or the shoe I just couldn't find. I got it years ago when I broke an ankle and have used it ever since. No more crawling under the desk to pick up that piece of paper that slipped away.

Good news for you, Ruth Ann. With my very minor back pain I empathize with your pain and pray the surgery will bring you relief.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I love my bed and sleep so much better! I am resting and am letting others chip in to help me. Just had my first shower at home! Going night night now!

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, it's been a week today since my surgery and I'm improving slowly daily! My PT lady comes 3 times a week and is amazed at my progress. (thank the Lord for His answered prayers!)I grabbed my cane with my walker and headed outside today for my first walk outside. It was 72* and gorgeous! Got down the stairs slowly, and then used my walker to go about 50 feet total. That was enough for me, then a nap! Thank you for everyone's' concern, I'm on my way!! :)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Kasha, your doing great! I don't know anyone who has had a double replacement. I think being able to walk outside after a week, is pretty much a miracle. Keep up the good work, and try not to over do it. We are praying for you. Barbra

• starofleviathan
    11 years ago

Kasha: SO happy to hear :D! I'm sure that beautiful weather helps ;). You'll be back at it in your garden soon enough. Thx for the update! Look forward to them! Happy day

• Bob_A
    11 years ago

Good to hear, Kathy.
    I'm sure that you'll be fine by spring.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well my nurse and pt lady just left. I told them that I wasn't taking the narcotics that were prescribed me. I never do well with hydrocodone. It made me sick to my stomach, painful thrashing and restless body syndrome, bad nightmares, no appetite, constipated. I'm taking Tylenol and am doing so much better! Appetite is back, body is getting back to normal, and I now enjoy my exercises. I even spent 30 min doing light housework, although it raise my heart rate to 120! I'm up to a 10 min walk a day! The more I do the better I feel! I'm feeling stronger every day!

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your good news, Kathy. There are definitely advantages to being off narcotics if one's pain can be managed elsewise.
    Keep up the good progress!

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

Good to hear about your progress, Kathy! Good weather always make one feel better, and I hope your weather continues to lift your spirits as you heal.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a quick update! It's been 5 weeks since my bilateral hip replacements. I'm walking without assistance of a walker or cane now. Still slight weakness, pain and limp in left leg, but nowhere anything like my suffering before surgery! I'm able to take the dog for short walks down the road now, and yesterday I drove for the first time! :) Still not back to work. Climbing stairs is still not easy, although I'm totally caring for my angels in the basement now by myself! My boss is chomping at the bit to have me back to be her nanny. No way am I ready for that yet! Maybe in the beginning of Feb! I also had laser eye surgery on both eyes last week to eliminate the chance of Glaucoma. Goodness, I'm the bionic woman! Hope everyone else is well! Hey Ruth- how are you recovering since your surgery? Haven't heard from you- hope all is well!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Good to hear you're making progress. Triathalon by May?
    LOL

Lonnie

• starofleviathan
    11 years ago

Overjoyed to hear it Kathy! :)

• ruth_ann
    11 years ago

You are doing very well Kasha!
    So am I I think, no pain in the legs when I stand any longer so I know the relief of which you speak. Now to get the nerves and muscles bach to normal that were pinched and atrophied by those bad discs. I have 2 more months before I can ditch the brace and start some serious rehab though.

• pearlgirl
    11 years ago

Hi, Kathy
    Just popped in after a very long time. So glad that you're
    doing well after your surgery! Don't push yourself. I'm
    still healing from double femur surgery from Jan/2011. As
    you said "God IS good"! Please do take your time and let
    your body heal. Those plants are going to help you a lot...
    just look at them, though :):):) Seriously... I'm so glad
    to hear that it all went well for you!!!

Margaret

• kimka
    11 years ago

It is so great that you are doing so well. Don't over do and set your self back (a problem I know well).

KimKa

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Again-
    thank you for the well wishes! Margaret, I'm so sorry it is taking you so long to recover. I'll pray that you'll be able to improve faster! Ruth- I'm so happy for you that your pain is diminished. I know the frustration of having dead weight of legs and little strength. Getting in and out of bed was the worst for me. Now I'm practically launching out of bed every morning! I'm praying that you'll regain your stability and strength soon. I'm glad your surgery was a success! Take care!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Great news, tomorrow is my last day of therapy, I am doing great. Kasha I hope you are doing as well. I can't wait until spring gets here and we can work in our yards. Barbra

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

So thankful all of you are doing great with your recovery! As Margaret said, "take your time and let your body heal".

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Barbra- that is wonderful! Yes, I am doing very well also! I have begun to work a bit in my garden in nicer weather. I blew leaves and mulched them and put them on other gardens, 3 loads! Tomorrow is supposed to be 50*. I hope to go out and putter! Thank you Eloise! :)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Kasha, that is wonderful news. I am so happy that you can already work in your yard. Gosh by spring you will be back at full force. I am actuallly thinking about getting some brugmansia cuttings and trying again. Mine never did well at the coast, but Albert's 2 are really doing well. I think its because I added turface to the soil, or maybe its just the time of year. They are in full flush right now. I think I might have been bitten by the brug bug. Spring hurry up and get here. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Kasha, that is wonderful news. I am so happy that you can already work in your yard. Gosh by spring you will be back at full force. I am actuallly thinking about getting some brugmansia cuttings and trying again. Mine never did well at the coast, but Albert's 2 are doing great. I think its because I added turface to the soil, or maybe its just the time of year. They are in full flush right now. I think I might have been bitten by the brug bug. Spring hurry up and get here. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Kasha, that is wonderful news. I am so happy that you can already work in your yard. Gosh by spring you will be back at full force. I am actuallly thinking about getting some brugmansia cuttings and trying again. Mine never did well at the coast, but Albert's 2 are doing great. I think its because I added turface to the soil, or maybe its just the time of year. They are in full flush right now. I think I might have been bitten by the brug bug. Spring hurry up and get here. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Had my visit with my surgeon today. I told him I think I'm 70% back to normal, he said "I'd say about 50%! He doesn't want me to run (except if I need to get out of a bus' way!) no jumping, carrying heavy items. Can't go back to work til after March 15th. That's fine, I know I'm not up to chasing after 2 little ones yet!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Kasha, 50% is wonderful news. Just think how great you will feel by summmer. Barbra

• pearlgirl
    11 years ago

My TWO CENTS again...but....keep thinking of how far
    you've come from the first few days! Somedays, I'll admit
    that I feel like having a pity party because I can't run or walk fast and I might never do so again. I'm walking, even-
    though my bones aren't mended AND I can work in my
    garden...thank God for Tramadol and His mercy right now.
    You're a gardner , sooooo, I know that just having a little
    ability to get outside will be lots of therapy for US!!! :):)
    I'm starving to get out there and trim my paniculata hyd.
    back and to move a few things around...(my hubby digging
    the holes, of course).Girl, take your time and do it right. You
    do not want anyone going back into those hips. Hope you
    don;t mind the pep talk.
    Just a month until spring!
    Margaret

• kasha77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm taking it slow and being a good patient, listening to my body. I can't do everything that I used to yet, but it's way better than using that cane, walker and wheelchair that are sitting in the corner!
    I've taken up painting old furniture and am having a blast! I've learned how to make chalk paint and am creating my own wax stains and paint colors with tints and white paint, so fun! So far I've painted an old childs' ladder back chair -yellow, an old oak mirror, silver and gold, and my bathroom vanity, to match the mirror. I've also painted my heavy wooden microwave cabinet, white, for my daughter. I've started stripping an oak cedar chest in the garage. I also found 2 french country coffee tables for $20! I plan to paint them too. I'm also slowly clearing out my gardens from last years' dead grass. The soil is so deep and soft from all the years' of compost and horse manure. Little by little. My gardens went to weeds last year, but hopefully, by summer time, they will be beautiful again! Margaret, you are in my prayers for a full recovery. Keep smiling and praising God for how far you've come and you'll get there! I am so aware of His healing hand on me, I just marvel in His mercy and love!

• Bob_A
    11 years ago

Good to hear, Kathy!

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Wow, girl! You are doing more than I have done for years even when I was feeling fine.

Congrats are enjoying moving around again.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living