Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnwsgal

Brugs blooming inside

mnwsgal
13 years ago

I am happy to have several flowers on the pink brugmansia that I brought inside that hadn't bloomed at all this year. Two opened yesterday and another today and expect a few others in a day or two. I was worried about the fragrance but it has been rather light.

The yellow one's buds are beginning to elongate and I see some color on one of them.

When they have finished blooming I will move them downstairs to go dormant.

Comments (8)

• Edie
    13 years ago

Yay! I'm happy for you. My first brug blooms were indoors, too. You did better than me, I have two of the same NOID pink, and only one bloomed. If I can bring both through the winter I'm hoping they will both bloom next year.

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The pink blooms are turning dark pink, very pretty. One yellow opened today, it is still pale, almost white, but very fragrant.

I also hope we both get more blooms outside next year, Edie.

• threas
    13 years ago

Nice! Enjoy!

Theresa

• Patsey Nelson
    13 years ago

Oh, it makes us so happy to get are angels to bloom.
    This is my first year and I only had one named brug, Audrey Hepburn. She barely bloomed in our high heat, but when it was time to bring her in she had 82 buds and almost no leaves. Every bud bloomed out. She was beautiful. I put her in a bedroom we are working on and we had to shut the bedroom off, the fragrance was so strong at night. She is white. I had quite a few that I don't know what they are, they bloom out with a touch of peach on the edges, then turn darker. Some even go to orange. I call them a peach apricot but have no idea what they are. They have also bloomed inside. I was kind of disappointed this summer, but not now. All my hard work and watering was worth it. Love them!!!!.
    Patsey

• mantorvillain
    13 years ago

I ended up bringing a number of 'deleafed' brugs in and got the best bloom I've ever gotten! Painted Lady only had one bud on it but it has maintained the blossom over a week now and perfumed the kitchen every night...think she's going to be a fav.
    will

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, Will. My brugs are all in the basement as of today. I forgot that I left buds on Frosty Pink when I put it down several weeks ago and now it is blooming with a nice fragrance. Southern Belle has had great fragrance every night for the last week.

The rooted cuttings are growing well and the cuttings in water are getting nubbins. Expect a big year of brugs next year thanks to you.

I took a few cuttings of my older ones to share with friends but have not cut any of them back much. One is too tall for the room and the pot is tipped a bit to let it lean.

Glad your Painted Lady has a nice fragrance.

Patsey, I agree that indoor bloom does make up for some of the disappointment when the brugs don't bloom much outside. Peach apricot sounds pretty.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I'd left a few buds on some cuttings in the garage. I'd forgotten about it until last night when I kept smelling something and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I finally checked the garage and there were several open flowers. They got chopped off immediately. I can't understand why the scent has that effect on me in an enclosed area, even when it's faint? I just love their fragrance when they are in the garden.

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry that you can't enjoy the blossoms and scent inside, Karyn. I wondered about that for me as well as I am scent sensitive in other areas. Many perfumes and scents used in candles make me ill. Perhaps my recently acquired allergies have muted the scents for me.

Sponsored