Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
givelittle_getlots

OT : POTD: What an eye sight this one was

givelittle_getlots
14 years ago

{{gwi:576250}}From Other pictures to use for forum

Yupp, still not quite all smiles yet lol

Especially since I had my 1st and only cup of coffee. All my own fault. I had the great Idea to buy DH and myself a couple of new coffee mugs. Well...they are SO big hubby says...that he had a hard time leaving me ONE cup. The hole pot content could fit in there roflmao
{{gwi:576252}}From POTD for November 09

A few days ago I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw THIS bloom on a otherwise all frilly filled triple or so Datura.

I thought it was just gorgeous.

Just like all of you are to me....SO hard to not look and when not here....I know you are busy and hopefully ok....but you are missed a LOT!!

Hugs

Lucy

Comments (12)

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Morning Lucy,
    Beautiful my dat's did nothing this year.
    I know you must my pleased.
    Big hugs
    Dorothy

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

That is a beautiful dat bloom, Lucy. I like the sharp folds and the color! I may get one more bloom from the purple before we get a freeze.

So, did you make another pot of coffee yet?

Have you finished the great fall migration of plants?

Have a great day everyone!

Pam

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

Lucy,

You have still not had frost yet, right? Honestly, if I lived in zone 8, I would be gardening year-round. Hmm, maybe that's not such a good thing! LOL! But if I lived in zone 8, I'd have a ton of palms, broad-leaved evergreens, and hardy citrus. I did my graduate school in Dallas and wished I could have stayed, but no jobs for me at the time. Oh well. I'm stuck at the top of zone 7 now. Maybe when I retire - yeah, like at age 80.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

That's beautiful. There's so little left growing outside around here. The trees are almost completely bare as well. It's so depressing. Time for me to hibernate. lol

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

There's so little left growing outside around here. The trees are almost completely bare as well.

karyn,

This is why I'm concentrating on putting in lots of broad-leaved evergreens on my property. My Chinese Evergreen oak, Live Oaks, hollies, Cherry laurels, euonymous, osmanthuses, palms, evergreen viburnums,lorapetalum, evergreen ferns, etc keep our yard green all winter! Also, I have four camellias in full bloom now! -- Spring's Promise, Winter's Joy, unnamed white, and Winter's Fire. My Ashton's Supreme has not started yet, but will soon. Some pink is peaking out of the buds.

{{gwi:514977}}

{{gwi:515585}}

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Lucy, that triple dat is beautiful.

They predicted a possible freeze here two nights and then more warm weather so I took a chance and left everything but the basil outside and it's all okay. So I bought another week or two. Yippee!

I'm going to start searching for a greenhouse, though.

• haase
    14 years ago

The brug is blooming, the mums are blooming, the sun is shining and no rain in sight. After reading all your posts about the cold weather, I feel like an outsider here!
    Lucy, your triple dat is beautiful! Another new one for me.
    Ingrid.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Lucy, for the past three days, I felt exactly like Goofy and Donald Duck look on that picture, LOL!

What a beautiful picture of your dat! The top part looks almost like a waterlily.

Ingrid, don't feel like an outsider just because we were having good weather and they weren't, LOL! It's almost 6 PM and I can hear the winds outside growing stronger and stronger. Rats, that means there will be more palm fronds for me to have to pick up and cut up!

• taz56
    14 years ago

Beautiful Lucy, your photo's are always!
    Susan

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Dave you know my record with camellias. lol I'm not a big lover of most broadleaf or any evergreens but do have a few. How do your osmanthuses fare over the winter? My fragrant Tea Olives can't take our winter so I have them in containers that are brought in during the coldest times. I had a non fragrant osmanthus that was more hardy but I didn't care for it. Have you ever tried a hardy gardenia? I've seen some advertised as being able to grow in zone 7 but have never tried one. I'm guessing it would have to be 7b, close to 8?

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Nice dat. We have one in the backyard that is over 9' tall this year! And the one near it is barely 3'.
    The camelias are setting bud but no blooms yet.
    We're zone 9b and we do garden pretty much year round, there are a few days it's too cold or windy and nasty but for the most part you can get out every month and get something done. If we have ice we all call each other & run out to look before it warms up. When it snowed on Christmas a few years ago almost everyone stayed up all night playing in it. Bad part? The pests never die! And the weeds grow year round.
    Tally HO!

• wickedwickedwitch
    14 years ago

these flowers are amazing.

Sponsored