Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brugs from seed

Posted by hdiperna 5/6 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 10, 09 at 7:25

Good Morning all
Thank you all for the welcome last week. now the questions will start to fly!!
(I have searched the forum for my answers, but wanted to check with you guys to make sure that I am understanding this correctly)

I recently received some brug seeds in a trade. Since I am in a colder zone I should start them now, and maybe I will have flowers before I have to put them away for the winter? Also each one of the seeds will produce a different plant, or do all seeds from one seed pod look alike?

I know on top of my brug cuttings *hopefully* rooting by the sink, and my African violet in a bag in the bathroom, I am starting to feel like my house is a green house :o)

Heidi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brugs from seed

What a great feeling. I've never tried to grow brugs from seeds, please be sure to post after they come up and let us know how they do. I'd start them just like any other seeds though, in a tray with a clear plastic cover on it to hold the moisture in the soil. As soon as the seedlings emerge, remove the cover to avoid damping off.

As far as the violet in a bag in the bathroom, I guess the bag is to help it stay moist and to grow roots? But it needs light too, so it would probably prefer to be near a window where it gets bright but indirect light.

Your happiness comes through loud and clear in your post. I like it. It makes me happy too. Cheryl

o

Cheryl thanks for the response

Actually, the violets in the bathroom don't have a lot of light and produced roots fast. I was really surprised. It is not very warm in there either.

I guess I will soak the seeds tonight and try to plant them tomorrow.

Heidi

o

Heidi soak seeds, take off cork carefully. Plant only by pushing them maybe half into the soil. Some just lay them on top of the soil and press down. The seeds love light!
I did not cover mine up but misted them daily. Many ways to do it though.

Otherwise I see you got real prepared by reading up on your new adventure with those gorgeous plants.

Lucy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here