Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about brug seed sowing?

Posted by valeriepa z5-6 NEPA (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 8:15

Did a search here, but I lstill have questions.
After soaking in water for 24 hours, do I remove the cork-like outer seed covering or sow the whole thing?
Do they need light to germinate? Do I just press them into the surface of the seed starting medium or how deep do I sow them?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Valerie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about brug seed sowing?

I always remove the cork but some people don't.
Light seems to help speed germination. I believe they will actually sprout without it but once that seedling is up they will stretch very quickly to the light and flop over so I always use it from the get go. I get good results that way so have stuck with it.

I plant about a half inch deep.

Keep moist but not real soggy. Make sure you have good drainage holes.

Heat from the bottom seems to help them germinate faster.

Adequate humidity helps them shed the tough seed coat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here