Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherub did it again!

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Wed, Nov 25, 09 at 8:34

Those of you that were around last year might remember my Cherub that formed a seed pod in the absence of any other brugs. It was the only brug that was in the house and the blooms opened while it was inside. A couple weeks ago I put a Cherub with several blooms opening in the basement. They did start to open outside this time but they were on my front doorstep well away from any other brugs. They hadn't opened completely and while outside it had already gotten cold with a few nights of frost so there weren't many insects flying around anyway. It appears that it formed seed pods again. I guess that there's a remote possibility that it could have been pollinated while outside but last year there was no possibility of cross pollination. I called it my immaculate conception brug. lol BTW the only reason I brought this one in is because it didn't have a scent while inside. I can't stand the smell of brugs in an enclosed space.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherub did it again!

Karyn, the ABADS registry list has not much info, not even the classification. I wonder if it is an Arbourea because those are able to self pollinate.

o

Ruth Ann I bought this Cherub from somewhere several years ago. I can't remember but it was definitely a purchase, not a trade. I thought it was so odd that it developed a pod last year and the seeds were viable. B. arborea is the only self pollinating brug that I'm aware of. I wonder if this isn't a true Cherub? It's blooms are somewhat lighter then Cherub pics that I've seen but I always attributed that to temps as it always blooms very late in the season when temps have cooled. This is what my Cherub looks like. Does it look like it's properly identified?

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Whatever it's true identity, it is sure beautiful!
Ingrid

o

It is beautiful. I know the bees have been pollinating mine. I have a ton of seed pods on Hawaiian Double White but doubt if any of them get to mature since I'm not digging that huge thing up. I will try to protect it as long as I can in the ground though since it is most likely crossed with Naughty Nick or Charles Grimaldi.

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 25, 09 at 16:13

Here is a pic of mine... Did you grow out last yrs??

Kylie

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

They look like different varieties. Not only the color but the shape of the bloom as well. Hmmmm??? I have a few seedlings but none have reached blooming size. The foliage on your plant looks so nice and full. Mine was kind of lanky this season, tall with a poof of foliage at the top. I don't remember what it's looked like in previous years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here