Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sorry all...help with ginger please

Posted by diggy500 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 15, 09 at 9:41

hi all
karyn,i have posted this question and received no reply in the ginger forum..
i was told not to cut down my butterfly ginger when i brought them into the house....they are now turning brown..
i keep some under lights and some in front of sunny windows..
should i leave them alone or do i need to trim???
thx to anyone and everyone for the help...
and sorry to post a different question here...
diggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sorry all...help with ginger please

If it's already bloomed and is browning let it die back. If it hasn't bloomed you can keep it inside under grow lights to see if you get flowers. Mine don't start blooming until late summer. Once they've finished blooming cut them back and prepare them for storage. If you want to speed up the time it takes to cure the rhizome take them out of the pot, shake the soil off and let them dry out. Keep them someplace dry and above freezing while they are drying. Once the stems have dried cut them off and store the rhizome just like any other kind of rhizome/tuber/bulb. Plant it early in the seaon next year and keep it inside until it's warm enough to bring outside. Make sure it's in a large container. I've been doing this with my butterfly ginger for the past 5 or so years. They actually do best when planted inground. I'm just bad about remembering to lift them in the fall.

o
RE: sorry all...help with ginger please

thank you karyn
i appreciate the advice..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here