Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Trying to find cuttings of double and triple brugs hybrids.

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

Hi everyone!

Wow, I never knew how addicting these plants were until I got my first box of cuttingsfrom Kasha. Now I just want more and more! In fact, I am going to get one more box from her hopefully next week. I know I am pushing it as far as cold weather but Iam willing to take the chance.

Right now, I would like to get my hands on some more doubles and I don't have any triples.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If I cannot find anyone with cuttings I will wait till January and buy from Country Gardens. They seem to be a favorite of brugs growers, and there prices seems very reasonable. The one brug I really wan, I don't think they have, 'Angels Golden Dreams'? Maybe I am wrong but if someone can give me a the name of a good source, I would really appreciate it. I did find one on Ebay but I don't know enough to know if the seller is reputable or not, and I have heard that there can be problems with mis labeled plants, and even though noids can be quite nice, I really want this brug along with, 'Wretched Mess'.

Thank you,

Andrew

Comments (11)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I just took a look in the compost pile because I'd trashed all the cuttings that I didn't send out. I found some AGD and NOL that have a remote chance of being salvagable. They've been in the compost pile for almost 2 weeks and we've had several nights with frost. I stuck them in the greenhouse and if they don't turn to mush I'll let you know.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Karyn,
    Are you talking about the Angel's Golden Dreams? I have been looking for a reliable source of this for a while now. I actually posted a request for it or a nursry that sells it. That would be fantastic if they make it! Please forgive me but I am still a newbie, what is the NOL?
    Thanks Karen!
    Andrew

• karyn1
    13 years ago

It's the triple/quad yellow flower. I originally thought it was angel's summer dream which is a Logee's single yellow but it was marked incorrectly. NOL is New Orleans Lady, probably my favorite brug and the one I would have if I could only have 1 variety. I haven't checked to see what they look like today. Hopefully there will be some portions of the branches that are viable. I should be able to tell fairly quickly. All parts that have frost damage will be mushy and the cambium layer (if that's what it's called with a brug stem?) will slip. I'll let you know as soon as I know.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Karen,
    Thanks so much. I know what ya mean about the appearance of frost damage. I had some expensive nice jade hybrids that I lost from a freeze along with some that I had to completely cut down to the soil line but they are returning and now I have more room for the brugs!
    Andrew

• rmbill
    13 years ago

7servant7 has a Golden Dreams listed as part of a 3 cutting deal on Ebay, I don't know if that is the same as Angels Golden Dream or not. If needed, I might be able to cut a very small piece off my New Orleans Lady for a start if Karyns pieces aren't viable. They are all trimmed pretty close now.
    Bill

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Bill,
    Thank you. I really appreciate it Bill. I too saw that offer on Ebay but I am going to pass on it because they couldn't guarentee that it was the Angels Golden Dreams. They said that they picked it up from Ebay but it was olny sold there that one time and it was never sold there again.

I will let you know what Karen says to me. Hopefully she will know soon. Our weather is getting more unstable now. I am getting some more cuttings from Kathy. She is going to send me some of her noid yellows. I have a noid yellow but I doubt it is the same as hers. There are so many noid brugs out there, I said to myself that I would only have the 2 noids and that was it.
    Bill, I will keep you posted and maybe if it gets too cold you could send me one next year?
    Thank you,
    Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Bill,
    Karen said she could send me the cuttings as she think that they may grow but they she told me that they don't look very good.
    I would like to know if I could get a piece of your New Orleans Lady. Even if it is small, I would like to double my odds.
    Please email me so we can make arrangments. I can send money for postage or if you want more, let me know.
    Andrew

• karyn1
    13 years ago

7servant7 is one of the worst sellers on Ebay. His brugs are rarely correctly labeled. You can find a number of warnings about him on this forum. Years ago I bought several cuttings/plants from him and not one was what it was supposed to be.

• rmbill
    13 years ago

Karyn, I have heard some of the same thing about 7servant7, unfortunately. I was grasping a straws.

Andrew, I will check and see what I can do tomorrow. My plants are at my machine shop for the winter.

Bill

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bill, I will wait to hear from you.
    Andrew

• rmbill
    13 years ago

Andrew,
    Bad news . The tag got lost in the moove to the shop. New Orleans Lady is now a NOID. I hope I can identify it when it blossoms next year. The plant is alive aand well, Which ever one it is.
    Bill