Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

More Cuttings Available for Postage or Trades

kasha77
13 years ago

There's still time to ship cuttings from this huge very fragrant yellow turns orange brug tree if anyone is interested! Supply is limited this year. Last year I shipped out tons of cuttings from it and everyone loved it! Check out the size of this beauty which is 6 years old. My neighbor Becky is standing in the photo to show you how big it is! I'm still offering various named varieties also. I'm rested up and raring to go again! please email me for details!

kasha77

{{gwi:577815}}

{{gwi:577816}}

Comments (31)

• kathi_rogers
    13 years ago

I would love a cutting for postage.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Kathi-
    I've sent you an email!
    kasha77

• priscilla2007
    13 years ago

I would love a cutting.

Priscilla2007

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Priscilla- you've got mail!
    kasha77

• threas
    13 years ago

Hi Kathy! Just wanted to say, that is gorgeous! How do you overwinter it? Whole brug or cuttings?

Theresa

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Theresa-
    That monster stays right where it is! I'd need a chainsaw to cut it down! It's old enough and large enough to go through our winters. Last winter was unusually cold,and it suffered some damage, that's why there's limited amount of cuttings this year. Thanks for the compliment!
    kasha77

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    13 years ago

Kasha,

Do you still have some cuttings ? I would love some if you do ...

Iris

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Iris- I sure do!
    I'm sending you an email!
    kasha77

• jen_frazier
    13 years ago

do you have any left? i would love a couple starts of it!! i have a NOID to offer to trade! mine looks pale yellow but when the bloom opens it is off white with pale pink throat and darker pink on the end! PLMK if you are interested in trading! this was my 1st brug this year to live AND bloom and i am hooked now! i'm looking for ANY cuttings!
    Jennifer

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Jen I have some left- sending you an email-
    kasha77

• huneybunch_2000
    13 years ago

I am interested in your cuttings if you have more available..

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Very nice Brug. I have all my brugs in pots. Next year they
    will all go into ground. There's a lady nearby me that has
    a very large brug like yours and she cuts it down and mulches
    it. Comes back every year she says.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes huneybunch- I have more cuttings! Sending you an email!
    Roper 2008- yes they do if you're in the right zone & they're established and mulched!
    kasha77

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Kasha,
    Do you think you may be doing this in the spring? If I do not win your contest I would love to get some more then.
    I just have spent around $350.00 on new plants in the past month so I think I need to give my wallet a break plus I have not recieved 2 orders I am waiting on.

Man, these plant obsession can get really expensive! Tropical fruit trees, jades and succulents, plumerias and now angel trumpets!

Did I mention that I live in a 3 bedroom apartment?
    LMAO..thank god for the basement! Seriously though, I invested in a 600 watt HPS light this summer and this has made it 100% easier for me to grow all these plants.

Not your cup of tea(no brugs blooming) but I have a bird of paradise(strelitzia reginae) that is going to bloom, along with 2 Oro Blanco grapefruits, a 'Penang Peach' plumeria blooming, a keylime that has around 200 flower buds right now, cherimoya fruit trees that are too small to hold fruit so I have to remove flowers:(, and also a 'Dancy' tangerine and a dwarf 'Improved Meyer lemon' that has around 60 fruits on it!

I think with any plant obsession, newbies should know that grow lights are a great investment!
    Andrew

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Andrew-
    That's a great idea! If I have any left I can certainly have another contest. I am really hoping to start an online brug store, (hey- that's kind of catchy, isn't it!?!) Maybe my daughter can help me have one ready in the spring. But I love the folks on this website, they gave me my love for brugs, and I probably will always help newbies here. Don't worry- if you come in number 6 you can still have a box of brugs from the contest! LOL! Such determination can't be disappointed! :)
    Where do you live that you have so many awesome tropicals? Lime flowers must smell heavenly! I haven't even heard of most of your plants!
    Have fun!
    kasha77

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Check out the latest blooms on this no id yellow / orange brug. Covered in hundreds of flowers- couldn't count them if I tried. What a fragrance!
    So sweet!
    kasha77
    {{gwi:577819}}
    {{gwi:577820}}
    {{gwi:577821}}
    {{gwi:577822}}
    {{gwi:577824}}
    {{gwi:577825}}
    {{gwi:462003}}
    {{gwi:577826}}
    {{gwi:577827}}

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Kathy,
    I sent you an email to see if your still offering any of this variety. One thing that I found that I really love is that you can get instant tropical feel from brugs. I know that next year my unk. yellow and my'Frosty Pink' will be large and beautifull!
    I have another question for you. How long do you have blooms on your brugs? Or should I say, "Around what time of year do your brugs stop blooming Kathy?"
    Andrew

• filix
    13 years ago

kasha I would like to take another crack at some cuttings. That is, if you still have some. filix.

• dragonsmist
    13 years ago

wow what a pretty brug would like one if any left.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Andrew- my brugs will bloom til the frost hits them, which is now- it was 27* this a.m.
    Filix- sending you an email.
    Dragonmist- sending you an email.
    kasha77

• dragonsmist
    13 years ago

sent paypal and email. thanks

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Wow, Kathy, that is one impressive brug! Now, it says you're in zone 7 but what state is that exactly? Are your winters pretty mild? Do you have to do anything to your brugs during this cold period?
    I love my brug cuttings you sent. They're very nice and healthy! Again, thank you very much for your kindness & generosity!

Take care & happy growing,

Bo

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Bo-
    We live in NC- winters are cold enough to kill a brug if it isn't protected with mulch. I lost quite a few because I didn't mulch them well enough. But this big guy is pretty tough- takes a chain saw to cut it back for winter! No I don't have to do anything- although I'm hoping that the rain that we're getting tonight and the 25* temps tomorrow don't permeate my boxes and mulch that I've covered them with. Brugs hate wet cold conditions. You're so very welcome Bo- there are a few A--ho-es out that I have to deal with from time to time, but it's nice folks like you who make it all worth it! :)
    Dragonmist- your cuttings have been sent!
    kasha77
    ps- This offer is now closed!

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Kathy,
    I just had to bring back this posting. Seeing the pics of your noid yellow keeps me going thru the bleak/cold winter. I also wanted to share with you that I just potted up the 3 noid yellow cuttings you sent to me. The 'Kelly Anne' and the 'Xena' also made it! i have to admit, I was really worried about them. They were sooo cold but they didn't die. I also noticed that some of the bark was peeling when they were in water for a few days. Now that they are rooted for me, I shouldn't have to worry about them suffering from the cold shipping right??

I also wanted to tell you that I am going to be moving up the first batch of cuttings you sent to me. Most of them all have 3 or 4 inch growths on them now. In total, I only lost 2 of the 28 you sent out. 'Dr. Seus' and now I cannot remember the last something Native Double Peach? That was a bummer but I have so many still and in fact, I still have to pot up Willie's cuttings and get the heat pack to Karen. All of Willie's brugs made it thru, and then my friend Laura who sent me the noids.
    I am hoping that I can keep all my cuttings in the pots I am going to be moving them into now. They are have gal. jugs and only the tops are cut off of them. That wont be a cheap job. I will probobly have to spend $40 on the mix I use for them. I buy it from a greenhouse in Erie. I am also going to try and email you pics of the cuttings when they were about 3 weeks old.
    Andrew

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HI Andrew-
    Isn't it something how a photo can give you hope! I love looking at Fred Sommers' brugs- it gives me hope that I can produce a great brug someday!
    I'm so glad that your brug cuttings are doing great! I've already lost at least 10 of them, so I turned up my heating mat. Its' only 52* down stairs in our basement, that's fine for the mature brugs- but it's a little hard on the cuttings. I think your cuttings will be fine if they have started roots already. It's Native Habitat Double Peach- I'm sorry you lost that one! It took all summer for that one to fight off the worms, and then in the fall it really took off, but didn't have time to bloom. So it's in the basement, maybe it'll bloom down there. Inca Sun is still hanging onto it's little bloom, and grew another one but it fell off. I wish I could keep my room as warm as you do! As far as the potting soil goes, can't you make up your own mix? I usually buy a bale of peat moss from Lowes-($12.00, a few bags of perlite $4.00 each? and a bag of sand $3.00) - it's much cheaper that $40.00! Sorry- I'm a cheapskate, and make everything up myself. I even buy the broken bags on a pallet for 1/2 price! Usually the peat moss lasts a whole season. But do what you like- we all start somewhere. Thanks for bringing up this post, everyone's kind of going stir crazy around here with the snow storm in NC!
    Kasha77

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Kathy,
    I don't always use this mix. I just found it at the greenhouse and honestly, I have only bought it once. I really like how fast it drains and the structure of the soil is great. I actually had to buy some MG moisture control the last time. What grade of sand do you use? I will have to give this a try, all though this time of year, I doubt I could even find the peat moss. Once winter arrives, I have a hard time trying to get big bags of the NG moisture control!! I could go to Erie and get the peat, and probobly some of the large nurseries in Buffalo. Do you remember a nursery called Gullo's? I want to say it is Rte. 20 but I cannot be sure.

Yeah I was really upset about losing the NHDP. I really like the doubles and was sad to see that it rotted. It was probobly my fault. I mentioned to you in an email that I would have to move my brugs because most of the time, I actually have to pick them up and move them, just so I can see the soil. I proboboly got lazy, and didn't check the soil and just watered.

I also wanted to mention that your Inca Sun is amazing! I will have to look for this one next year. I hope you get to see the flower!

I can promise you that I will have a much better set up for the brugs next year!

Andrew

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Andrew- I just used the coarse builders sand, it's white. I got it at Lowes' for half price, it had a little hole in the bag. You're probably right- I don't think you can buy the peat moss now. I've nver heard of Gullo's but I wish I had when I lived back home- I bet it's an awesome nursery! Don't worry about the NHDP- I have more cuttings started, just give me a hollar this spring. No worries! I envy your set up this year! What will you do next year!?!
    kasha77

• FLsun
    13 years ago

kasha I have a sunset varigated(sp) if you want a rooted cutting in the spring,I need a yellow brug,thanks flsun.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Kasha,
    Sad to report that the Xena was soft at the cut end so I cut about an inch off, and I am going to let it callus over for a few days, then try the egg method on it myself. Keeping fingers crossed! I am hoping that it will make it or maybe I will luck out and have opne of Willie's cuttings actually be Xena like it is supposed to be.

I am actually getting another 600 watt HPS light here in a couple weeks. I will hang that one in my basement and use that for my brugs and my larger tropical fruit trees. I highly recommend the HPS light to people. I have found though that it is VERY important to keep an eye on the plants that you have closer to the light. Otherwise, they may just "cook" on ya!
    I am also going to get some of that heat tape. I checked Ebay and the prices are really cheap. Besides, Ebay, I was told that Home Depot and stores like it carry it but I have never checked so I cannot swear by it.
    Andrew

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Flsun- I've sent you an email!
    Andrew- sorry to hear that- let it callous over for a few hours in a warm room - that should do it. If it dies I'll have more next year- don't worry! Thanks for the info on the heat tape- I'll check it out! (PS- hope your tooth is feeling better!)
    kasha77

• rmbill
    13 years ago

McMastercarr.com has all sizes and widths of heat pads (tape) and controllers. Prices are from reasonable to a bunch, depending on your pocketbook. They work really well. I used a couple last year that a friend loaned me. (1 foot wide and 6 feet long) You will notice it on your electric bill but it's worth it, I think.
    Bill

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor